Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

crouchingpeeky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Hi all, it's my first post so be gentle!

My wife and I are in the very early planning stages of emigrating to Australia. What I'd like to know is what areas in and around either Sydney or Melbourne would be suitable for a family to live, be reasonably priced, be within an hour's commute of the CBD and be reasonably close to the beach (optional).

I hope I haven't been to vauge. I'm not searching for specific properties at the moment, just an idea of what sort of area to move to and what sort of property I can get for my money.

Thanks

Crouching.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Originally Posted by crouchingpeeky

My wife and I are in the very early planning stages of emigrating to Australia. What I'd like to know is what areas in and around either Sydney or Melbourne would be suitable for a family to live, be reasonably priced, be within an hour's commute of the CBD and be reasonably close to the beach (optional).

I hope I haven't been to vauge. I'm not searching for specific properties at the moment, just an idea of what sort of area to move to and what sort of property I can get for my money.

Thanks

Crouching.
You probably need to specify a budget, but its hard for anyone coming from the UK to think of any decent areas of Sydney or Melbourne as 'reasonably priced'.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You probably are being a little too vague to be honest.

It might be a good idea to start by researching market rates for salaries in your field and also opportunitites in the different cities and once you have a better idea of that, think about what a reasonable budget might be.

We all come in different shapes and sizes and none of us have a clue as to what might be reasonable for you.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:55 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Thanks

Crouching.
In Melbourne, suburbs between Patterson Lakes (Carrum) and Aspendale would meet your criteria, including being near the beach. Search www.realestate.com.au for Patterson Lakes, Carrum, Bonbeach, Chelsea, Edithvale and Aspendale.

BB
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

What is reasonably priced to one person would be cheap to another and expensive to a third person.

Based on you salary research for your job and your savings what is reasonably priced for you?
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:35 am
Just Joined

crouchingpeeky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spottydog
What is reasonably priced to one person would be cheap to another and expensive to a third person.

Based on you salary research for your job and your savings what is reasonably priced for you?
I guess up to about $700k. I think, from the basic research I have done so far, that would be about the level I'd be looking at.

Thanks

Crouching.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I guess up to about $700k. I think, from the basic research I have done so far, that would be about the level I'd be looking at.

Thanks

Crouching.
You could look at Mordialloc or Parkdale too at that budget although you would get an older house for this - however many of those older ones are on larger sized land.

BB
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:34 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out North Sydney. Lovely for families.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

You could look at Cheltenham, Mentone area although you have to be careful buying in these areas if you are on the Moorabbin airport side of the Nepean Highway as a lot of people have problems with aircraft noise and that is also the case at Mordialloc. Moorabbin airport is a busy airport. There is a plan of the airport zone and its something to look out for. The beach side of the Nepean Highway is much more expensive.

I lived in Edithvale for 11 years and have a friend who still lives there on the beach, she can walk out of her gate onto the sand. Not my cup of tea as the hoards come down in the summer but she likes it.

If you try the western side of Melbourne Point Cook, Altona are now becoming popular due to the shorter CBD commute.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks

Crouching.
In Sydney I'd probably suggest Sutherland Shire for that price range
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:24 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
In Sydney I'd probably suggest Sutherland Shire for that price range
and where do you live Spottydog?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I would suggest not buying until you're settled. It would be a very expensive mistake to buy somewhere and discover after 12 months you don't like it.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I would suggest not buying until you're settled. It would be a very expensive mistake to buy somewhere and discover after 12 months you don't like it.
If property prices are shooting up as they have been in the last few years it is an even more expensive mistake to delay purchase.

BB
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
If property prices are shooting up as they have been in the last few years it is an even more expensive mistake to delay purchase.
It's unlikely that the increase in price (if any / if not a decrease) will weigh heavily enough to influence that decision.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
and where do you live Spottydog?
I live in Balmain now, spent a few years in the Shire but found it to quiet for me as I don't have kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.