Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Study in Australia

Study in Australia

Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:32 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Study in Australia

Well, been here a month and haven`t had a sniff at a job yet, although I haven`t been working my guts our to get one (wife said to take a few months off and then look seriously after our 2nd baby is born in September). I`ve sent off a fair number of apps though, and have even been rejected to train as a bus driver

I`d like to study at TAFE, but am unsure how that would affect my `Newstart` allowance.... any idea`s?

For those interested, currently we get (as Aussie citizens with 1 baby):
$360 a fortnight paranting payment (for my wife)
$360 a fortnight Newstart allowance (for me to look for a job)
about another $300 for rent assistance ($90 a fortnight) and family tax credit/benefit (A & B).

so that`s about $2000 a month.

So I`m curious how I`d be affected if I wanted to study full-time at TAFE. Do I hear an ABC Diamond???

I`d wait a week to ask Centrelink direct (can never get through to them on the phone so would have to go in and make an appt.), but I`m meeting the TAFE guy again monday morning at 8:30.

I`m interested in studying graphic design or public relations.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: Study in Australia

Originally Posted by Stormz
Well, been here a month and haven`t had a sniff at a job yet, although I haven`t been working my guts our to get one (wife said to take a few months off and then look seriously after our 2nd baby is born in September). I`ve sent off a fair number of apps though, and have even been rejected to train as a bus driver

I`d like to study at TAFE, but am unsure how that would affect my `Newstart` allowance.... any idea`s?

about another $300 for rent assistance ($90 a fortnight) and family tax credit/benefit (A & B).

So I`m curious how I`d be affected if I wanted to study full-time at TAFE. Do I hear an ABC Diamond???

I`d wait a week to ask Centrelink direct (can never get through to them on the phone so would have to go in and make an appt.), but I`m meeting the TAFE guy again monday morning at 8:30.

Hi!

Lucky you, you get a newstart allowance u say... but are you an Aussie or have you been on PR for over 2 years???

fabie
Old Jul 15th 2005, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

They must be either citizens or PRs for over 2yrs. See kink below.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...al_how_nsa.htm
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:28 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to know why you were rejected for a bus driver??
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:51 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

We`re Aussie citizens.

As for being rejected as a bus driver... who knows? Maybe I`m too used to smaller roads
Old Jul 16th 2005, 8:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to check the detailed eligibility criteria for Newstart, and not many people on this forum will know much about that. Is Austudy an option?

Jeremy