Student Loan

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

briggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Loan

Hi,
i have just migrated to OZ. i have been here since 1st feb 10.

I received a letter from the student loan company wanting to know my where abouts as i have not been paying any tax in the UK.
They have asked me to fill in there form and tell them where i am.
Do i really have to do this? Will it effect me if i dont?
Do people that migrate to OZ have to pay off there student loan?

Thank youin advance for your help.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Student Loan

If they catch up with you as opposed to you coming back to them, then they will hit you with fairly hefty monthly repayments compared to what you would normally have to pay. A friend of mine has been living in New Zealand for years, and they finally caught up with him, and basically said you can either tell us what you're earning now and "reveal" all, or we'll do the research, look in to things, and then charge you for it! As well as taking more off you each month.

Have a look at this link as it will tell you all about it;

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

If it doesn't work then just go to http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk and look up the section about overseas.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You signed a contract to pay back the money and there are clear rules regarding moving overseas. So yes you do still need to pay it back.

However I do believe you can take a "break" in payments (although that could depend what the rules were when you took out the loan as they have changed over the years. This IS worth doing especially if you need time to find your feet in a new country - I think it can be up to 5 years in all.

I'm sure you can find everything you need to know on the web.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:51 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, if you earn over a certain amount (it's on the SLC website and I think it's quite low) you have to pay it back. I'm paying mine back from here. I send bulk amounts every few months (I use www.tranzfers.com.au) it's cheap at the moment as the exchange rate is favourable and the interest rate on the student loans in the UK is negative (yes, really) for old loans pre-1998 and only 0.02% for newer loans. It's no major hassle.

If you don't reply and they catch up with you they can (and do) insist on it being paid in full.

Good luck.