Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Perth

Buying a car in Perth

Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default Buying a car in Perth

Hi folks,
Well we are finally here, been her just over a week and need to find a car. We have looked at the dealerships in Wangara, the Western Australian newspaper and am now looking on Ebay and Gumtree. Can anyone give me any other pointers of where to look? And how does Rego and stamp duty work when you buy a car privately?
We don't want to spend anymore than $12,000 at the moment.
Anyone selling a car? We are in Connolly.
Cheers
Liz
Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Perth

Originally Posted by Flixy
Hi folks,
Well we are finally here, been her just over a week and need to find a car. We have looked at the dealerships in Wangara, the Western Australian newspaper and am now looking on Ebay and Gumtree. Can anyone give me any other pointers of where to look? And how does Rego and stamp duty work when you buy a car privately?
We don't want to spend anymore than $12,000 at the moment.
Anyone selling a car? We are in Connolly.
Cheers
Liz
we're getting rid of our nissan tarrano.. 1994, 4x4 chelsea tractor.... actually its more tractor than chelsea.. being diesal..

best advice? Buy new if you can (a new getz isn't much more than 12k) and buyer beware if you dont.. dealers can smell fresh pommie money a mile away and will screw you over as quick as... as will private car sales...

second hand cars here hold there value, and mileage is a lot higher and expectations of future mileage is higher too... dont be impressed just by condition of bodywork... they dont rust like in the uk!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

www.carsales.com.au
Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

what kind are you looking for?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

www.carbroker.com.au
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Thanks for the links!
We don't really know what we like, we saw a new Kia Sportage today, drive away price $24,440 with 5 year warranty and road assistance. Do you think that is worth it? We don't know much about Kia's other than they are Korean!

The sales guy said they were on a deal because it is changing to a new shape or is that just waffle?

We initially thought our budget was $12k, but now thinking a new car would be a better option, what do you think?

Cheers
Liz
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

buying a car consider:

you're picking up some one elses problems if you buy 2nd hand

used cars have (virtually) no warranty where as new cars should give you up to 5 years trouble free motoring .. unless you pick up a make that allows transfer of the balance of the warranty... which will only be valid if the owner has kept to the servicing/repair schedule with an approved garage

being newbies.. you may pick up a used foreign import (like we did with his beloved Mitzubishi) that it is VERY hard to get parts for and may even be difficult to insure

Car dealers KNOW you're fresh on the market, you dont know the resale value they WILL right royally screw you if they get the chance -

My husband is a panal beater who has sound although not licensed here mechanical skills too... and HE was nearly duped..

Clocking a vehicle is NOT uncommon

second hand cars here hold their value... so to get a "good" low km relatively new vehicle you wont be paying much less than the original cost price.. so you dont loose huge amounts when you sell early if buying new..

BEWARE - dont go rushing to pick up a cosmetically hail damaged new car... if it'll require parts to make it acceptable... you could be waiting a while (along with everyone else) for new panals/ glass etc etc etc

AND REMEMBER here... a car having reggo does NOT make it road worthy.. all that means is that the owner has kept it continuously registered and hasn't been caught by the police for an offence and the car been found unroadworthy... ITS NOT LIKE AN MOT

in a nutshell

BUY THE NEW CAR

by the way, we still have the 1994 4x4 for 3k if yer interested after me saying all that

Last edited by eddie007; Apr 21st 2010 at 3:35 am.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eddie007
buying a car consider:

used cars have (virtually) no warranty where as new cars should give you up to 5 years trouble free motoring .. unless you pick up a make that allows transfer of the balance of the warranty... which will only be valid if the owner has kept to the servicing/repair schedule with an approved garage

being newbies.. you may pick up a used foreign import (like we did with his beloved Mitzubishi) that it is VERY hard to get parts for and may even be difficult to insure

Car dealers KNOW you're fresh on the market, you dont know the resale value they WILL right royally screw you if they get the chance -

My husband is a panal beater who has sound although not licensed here mechanical skills too... and HE was nearly duped..

second hand cars here hold their value... so to get a "good" low km relatively new vehicle you wont be paying much less than the original cost price.. so you dont loose huge amounts when you sell early if buying new..

BEWARE - dont go rushing to pick up a cosmetically hail damaged new car... if it'll require parts to make it acceptable... you could be waiting a while (along with everyone else) for new panals/ glass etc etc etc

AND REMEMBER here... a car having reggo does NOT make it road worthy.. all that means is that the owner has kept it continuously registered and hasn't been caught by the police for an offence and the car been found unroadworthy... ITS NOT LIKE AN MOT

in a nutshell

BUY THE NEW CAR

by the way, we still have the 1994 4x4 for 3k if yer interested after me saying all that
Now you didn't tell me it was 3k! Can you pm me to let me know where you are and give me some more details!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now you didn't tell me it was 3k! Can you pm me to let me know where you are and give me some more details!
Great meeting you all today Eddie! We love the Canyonerro (the kids renamed her, it comes from the Simpsons!)
We will look after her!
Many thanks
Liz x
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:28 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
buying a car consider:

in a nutshell

BUY THE NEW CAR

Please tell me you did not come to Connolly today Eds!!!! I will be most miffed if you did
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

mrbeardie is an unknown quantity at this point

Right to find the price of a car look up Redbook it will give you the base price.

websites to look at

www.carsales.com.au
www.drive.com.au
www.carsguide.com.au
www.carpoint.com.au

the sunday times , quokka and auto trader have good cars.

when buying a car the seller will fill out the paperwork and give you a copy. they send their copy to the govt. you receive a bill to transfer the car to your name. this is usually paid within a month. on a $25,000 car it is about $1000. so make sure you add this to the budget. there is a calculator on the DPI (department for planning and infrastructure) website. DO NOT FORGE THE PAPERWORK even though it might save you a few bucks

if buying second hand try to get a long rego. can be pricy (about $500 a year depending on car). Kia is ok, doesn't have the best name over here. anything toyota is generally a good place to start. but can be a little pricier than similar in another make. be sure to look at the cost of repair/parts and servicing. if buying from a dealer there is no warranty if priced under $4000 and be carefull on any warranty it comes with. always read the fine print.

most importantly forget anything you think you know about cars. everything here is different and i'm getting sick of being asked why we don't sell more deisels! good luck.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Please tell me you did not come to Connolly today Eds!!!! I will be most miffed if you did
No, we went to Eds to pick up the car! But your name did come up when we were talking about schools, she told me that you are the expert on them! Where are you? x
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrbeardie
Right to find the price of a car look up Redbook it will give you the base price.

websites to look at

www.carsales.com.au
www.drive.com.au
www.carsguide.com.au
www.carpoint.com.au

the sunday times , quokka and auto trader have good cars.

when buying a car the seller will fill out the paperwork and give you a copy. they send their copy to the govt. you receive a bill to transfer the car to your name. this is usually paid within a month. on a $25,000 car it is about $1000. so make sure you add this to the budget. there is a calculator on the DPI (department for planning and infrastructure) website. DO NOT FORGE THE PAPERWORK even though it might save you a few bucks

if buying second hand try to get a long rego. can be pricy (about $500 a year depending on car). Kia is ok, doesn't have the best name over here. anything toyota is generally a good place to start. but can be a little pricier than similar in another make. be sure to look at the cost of repair/parts and servicing. if buying from a dealer there is no warranty if priced under $4000 and be carefull on any warranty it comes with. always read the fine print.

most importantly forget anything you think you know about cars. everything here is different and i'm getting sick of being asked why we don't sell more deisels! good luck.
Thanks for the info, we have just bought a diesel, what should we know??
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

No, we went to Eds to pick up the car! But your name did come up when we were talking about schools, she told me that you are the expert on them! Where are you? x
I don't know about expert I live in Connolly, my kids go to the local primary school and I happen to work there too. Any questions just drop me a PM.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the info, we have just bought a diesel, what should we know??
The diesel you brought doesn't need the cam belt changing every xxxx miles coz its a pully system

ALWAYS wait for the ignition coil light to go out when you half turn the ignition before "starting" or you'll burn the coil out

and FGS DONT put petrol in it EVER... like my father often does with my mother....

and if anything goes wrong.. phone the seller... He'd feel obliged to help put it right...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.