Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student geologist

Student geologist

Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Student_Geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student geologist

hey guys just a quick introduction and a plea for advice.

I'm a second year geology student at the University of Western Australia, been in Aus coming up to 3 years now and couldn't think of a better place to live (weathers good, beaches, money and in true geo spirit the geology is pretty cool when its not covered by 'red dirt').

Summers rapidly approaching for us students and I'm yet to find any vacation work. I applied through most of the larger companies earlier in the year and have emailed a good 45 smaller ones over the past week but haven't had any offers.

It seems most of my cohort have gained employment through contacts within companies, which is a shame for those of us who've come from distant lands and don't really know any one.

I've worked for the University as a research assistant (mainly run of the mill GIS tasks) and been nominated as the Geology representative within the student chapter of the Australian institute of minerals (UWA). In all I've tried hard to go the extra mile but feel vac work is an important factor in deciding whether I can realistically expect employment once I graduate.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I feel a little 'lost in the dark' at the moment.

Cheers

Student_geo.

Last edited by Student_Geo; Nov 16th 2011 at 11:14 am.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Student geologist

Hi mate. Have you applied to the Geo companies like Triassic, Geoconsult and Moultrie?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Student_Geo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Hi mate. Have you applied to the Geo companies like Triassic, Geoconsult and Moultrie?
Just sent my CV, thanks for the help.

As a West Aussie I will admit to having been a little complacent in only applying for WA based roles, in hindsight this was probably a mistake.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Yeah.. I forget how big the place is. Maybe East side is a bit too far away.

Iv applied for a graduate position although I left Uni in 2002. They are more after some life skills and management experience to be honest.

My application is at the moment waiting on the return of my work references, so fingers crossed I get the job!

A friend of mine has been in Brissy for 4 years now and he earns crazy money. Hopefully that will be in the near future. He assures me that the coal will last our life times easily so nothing to worry about yet!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I think i probably emailed your mum after she got in touch with me.

The first issue you face is that all of the bigger companies would have filled their student places months ago. Most interview around April.

Your best chance are the juniors. Get a good CV and covering letter and just spend a day banging it out to a heap load of juniors. The only problem you, and others face is that the summer vacation in Oz falls over Christmas and that is when a lot of projects wind down. But get the CV's out and i am sure you will get something. Do not just concentrate on WA. Or even just in Oz. There are a lot of companies operating in places like Mongolia, China, South America that will take Oz students.

The key is to get plenty of applications out. I dont mean one or two. You need to spend a day solidly emailing your CV to loads of them.

If you want me to look over you CV or anything please get in touch on my email [email protected]