Reload this Page >

Strange Antipodean Ways #2

Strange Antipodean Ways #2

Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:40 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Strange Antipodean Ways #2

Every Kiwi has to have a workshop. Probably somewhere to hang his No. 8 wire and woodworking kit.

I checked out our street (it's in an OK neighbourhood) and EVERY house has got a workshop, admittedly I counted garages as workshops because they are often extra long to allow for a workbench or two.

I think I get bonus points because I've got a workshop/ garage AND a shed.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:43 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Antipodean Ways #2

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Every Kiwi has to have a workshop. Probably somewhere to hang his No. 8 wire and woodworking kit.

I checked out our street (it's in an OK neighbourhood) and EVERY house has got a workshop, admittedly I counted garages as workshops because they are often extra long to allow for a workbench or two.

I think I get bonus points because I've got a workshop/ garage AND a shed.
Well Don, thats just ostentascious (?)

What do they do in there then :scared:
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:47 pm
Don
Banned

Most seem to have an on-going house renovation project. Given the tax concessions in NZ/ Aus, it's surprising that everybody DOESN'T have a property to do up and rent out.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:49 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Most seem to have an on-going house renovation project. Given the tax concessions in NZ/ Aus, it's surprising that everybody DOESN'T have a property to do up and rent out.
Go on, Im all ears.

What tax concessions?
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:50 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It feels like they are here.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:56 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Go on, Im all ears.

What tax concessions?
1. Offset depreciation on house and chattels against rental income. Make a loss. Offset loss against income tax. Claim back income tax.

2. Invest in the property, ie improve features (eg upgrade woodburner), chattels, drapes, carpets etc. Offset against rental income/ income tax. Sell improved property for capital gain (tax free in NZ).
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:19 am
Banned

1. Offset depreciation on house and chattels against rental income. Make a loss. Offset loss against income tax. Claim back income tax.

2. Invest in the property, ie improve features (eg upgrade woodburner), chattels, drapes, carpets etc. Offset against rental income/ income tax. Sell improved property for capital gain (tax free in NZ).
Like the UK then, apart from capital gains to pay in UK?

My old man just had to pay £14000 capital gains. Not a happy bunny. Me thinks his accountant is gonna be getting an ear full.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:42 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Like the UK then, apart from capital gains to pay in UK?
Nope - far from it. But Aus and NZ are fairly similar to each other, you can even mitigate CGT in Aus in most circumstances if you plan it right.