Stopover in NZ

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I stayed in Rotorua for 2 days and it was 1.5 days too long!

Yes the geyser and thermals were "interesting" but the rest of the place is a grubby old town. Was one of the biggest disappointments of NZ for me.

Loved Taupo and Huka Falls, but even that gets boring after a short while.

Piha is definitely a good palce to visit and close to Aucks. I lved about 20mins from there and often took the dogs for a walk next to the crashing waves. Even the drive down to it is lovely.

Nice place for a pleasant afternoon is visiting the macadamia nut farm just outside Helensville...i cant remember the name of it...but its a beautiful place.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:27 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

With regards to Rotorua - if you want to see geothermal activity the sites actually in town are over priced, touristy and disappointing.

Hell's Gate is OK but again - very touristy.

Get out to one of the surrounding valleys - there is one that just took our breath away on the Rotorua/Taupo road - it is awesome - really beautiful and not so many busloads of tourists - there are some really nice thermal pools off that road too - again not touristy and jolly nice (especially if you and your missus get a private pool )

As soon as I remember the name of that valley I will post it up here!

Wai-o-tapu Thermal Valley - that's the one!!

Try this www.geyserland.co.nz/

Last edited by Pollster; Mar 2nd 2004 at 4:35 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollster

Try this www.geyserland.co.nz/
Is that where is the Londoners go in NZ boom boom

Watch out for the Orcs and other middle earth weirdos. According to legend the land is in danger of going over to the dark side of Mordor.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

michaela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: but what is the weather like late May/Early June?

Originally posted by brisbane bronco
can send you some info if you want it, email me [email protected]

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:10 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

the weather in may,june, july will be okay. Might be a bit wet, but it won't be freezing (in the north) - sitting in hot water beach might be a bit chilly, but could be nice on winters day.

Or you could go to some nice thermal pools in Waiwera, Te Aroha, Rotorua or any number of places.

Rotorua as a town is nothing flash, but the Rotorua region is very good. Tarawera region is worth a look too. The Tarawera crater is magnificent, and Buried Village is okay (not fabulous, and certainly no Pompeii - but then what is?) - but interesting enough.

On Northland - can't name any specific places to stay that aren't camp grounds - but a good place to base yourself would be Paihia in the Bay of Islands. Small tourist town - but a good starting point for all the sights.

This is a good interesting little museum in Matakohe, telling the history of the Kauri tree and logging in NZ: http://www.bestwestern.co.nz/northland/museum.htm