Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stingers in Perth

Stingers in Perth

Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
My daughter is a bit of a wimp & she's been stung a lot by stingers here in Perth, she describes it as like a nettle sting, ice & vinegar help (so always swim near a pub & a chippie ). She doesn't complain too much so it can't be that bad!
On the other hand a few people can have a bad reaction and get swelling etc

Loopy
I doubt if the 'stingers' your daughter has been stung by are real stingers ie.Box Jellyfish.
These are very dangerous and can cause death.They tend to live in tropical waters.

G
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
I doubt if the 'stingers' your daughter has been stung by are real stingers ie.Box Jellyfish.
These are very dangerous and can cause death.They tend to live in tropical waters.

G

My daughter who was 3 at the time got stung by a jellyfish on a beach on rottnest last year, she went ballistic! We panicked too as we didnt know what had happened, we were told after it was a bluebottle, just a bit of a sting but nasty to a young child.

Now, looking back at the drama it was quite funny. She was screaming so loud, everyone legged it out of the water, it was like a shark attack!

Are these Jellyfish common? I dont want to be looking over my shoulder every time I go in the sea when we finally move over there.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

We went to Oz last year while on holiday & it was like living in a comedy sketch show. On way - our son jumped on the bed in the hotel & bumped his head on the bedside cabinet (one black eye), the other son tripped on the escalator the next morning & gashed his knee (only needed a big plaster). We next day we went to another hotel to visit friends and number one son jumped into the pool & split his chin open & we ended up at the hospital for butterfly stitches. Two days later we went to Manly. We took some fresh cherries to eat on the beach but hubbie had an allergic reaction & his throat swelled up - we took off down the beach & found a chemist who was concerned but we managed to get some antihistermines & he was at least able to breathe prperly. We walked back along the beach to our friends & could hear this banshee like screaming - our number 2 son had been stung by a blue bottle & the life guards held him under the fresh water shower & it dropped off. 3 days later we went to Pearl beach & my mum picked up a baby ray - threw it back into the water & sliced her hand on the tale. I was luckily unscathed by the whole holiday!!!!

We visited Perth earlier on this year & we did not see a single jellyfish & my boys spent almost 3 weeks in the water - don't seem to be a prolific in Perth as the East coast - but obviously Broome seems to be a different matter.

Cheers
pockygoes