Reload this Page >

Step-son dilemma

Step-son dilemma

Old Dec 2nd 2018, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

aja424 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Step-son dilemma

Hi,
We are considering a move to Australia, but not being able to take my 23 year old step-son is putting us off starting applications and documentation etc.
He has no trade or qualifications to make an application himself. He has been working in kitchens as a cook on and off since school.
I was thinking how realistic it would be for him to come over on a working holiday visa and finding work as a cook, and charming his way into an employer sponsoring him.
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 6:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step-son dilemma

Originally Posted by aja424
Hi,
We are considering a move to Australia, but not being able to take my 23 year old step-son is putting us off starting applications and documentation etc.
He has no trade or qualifications to make an application himself. He has been working in kitchens as a cook on and off since school.
I was thinking how realistic it would be for him to come over on a working holiday visa and finding work as a cook, and charming his way into an employer sponsoring him.
Thanks in advance.
It's not a matter of charming an employer, it's him meeting the criteria for a visa.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It is important to know that, just like not every business can sponsor, not everyone can be sponsored. It will depend on his specific experience and skills. I recommend a consultation with a good migration agent
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask how you are planning to migrate? Just wondering with a 23 year old son how old you are and if you qualify for a visa anyway.

He he can only get sponsored if he has the correct qualifications/experience. And if he has he could probably apply for skilled migration anyway.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 3:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks in advance.
I might be making huge wrong assumptions here, but does your stepson want to move to Australia? Is he still largely dependent on you?
I see you were aiming at Canada but seem to have been deterred because he can't move with you. Does he want to move or has he got his own life in the UK - most 23 year olds I now have jobs, girlfriends etc and aren't keen on uprooting to follow family!

Having been in this game a long time I have seen a fair few parents scrap their migration plans because of kids in the late teens early 201,only to have the kid wander off and migrate somewhere else of their own accord later,building their own life. Even as a non-parent I can see it must be tough to move without a member of the family unit, but sometimes you need to think of your own lives too.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 12:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I might be making huge wrong assumptions here, but does your stepson want to move to Australia? Is he still largely dependent on you?
I see you were aiming at Canada but seem to have been deterred because he can't move with you. Does he want to move or has he got his own life in the UK - most 23 year olds I now have jobs, girlfriends etc and aren't keen on uprooting to follow family!

Having been in this game a long time I have seen a fair few parents scrap their migration plans because of kids in the late teens early 201,only to have the kid wander off and migrate somewhere else of their own accord later,building their own life. Even as a non-parent I can see it must be tough to move without a member of the family unit, but sometimes you need to think of your own lives too.
+1. OP, the longer you leave your own visa app, the less chance you have, certainly for Canada at least where you'll lose points as you get older.

I recall you were looking at applying for Canada when your stepson was eligible as a dependent (22), is there a reason you didn't go for it? Have you decided Oz is the place for you instead? Unlike Canada where you can apply at any age (albeit with less points), Oz had an age limit I believe, so do double check you're eligible.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

aja424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the honest responses everybody.
TBH it would just brake my heart to leave him at home, especially as I know he would come if the option was there. Yes I need to get a grip, I know.
I need to think fast, turned 40 yesterday, and my 10 year old is due to start secondary school in September 2019. My 5 year old is in reception class but he starts school properly (year 1) in September 2019.

For the past couple of years I have been completing my application to get registered in Canada. I have completed additional learning but the amount to complete is just overwhelming and very expensive.
Whilst completing my nurse training from 2010-2014 the plan was always to go to Australia. I didn't keep up with immigration developments and was gutted upon completion of my course, to find that I would require a degree as previously a diploma was sufficient.
In the past couple of weeks or so I have just found out that it is possible to get registered in New Zealand and then use this to register in Australia via TTMR. New Zealand also require a degree, but they may register you if given proof that you have completed additional learning since qualifying. Mandatory training appears to be enough, but in addition I have completed a course via a Canadian college so I feel there is a fair chance of me being accepted.

I have looked at the new visa (482). There is no mention of a points requirement. If I was to then apply for permanent visa after being in oz for a couple of years, then my points would be boosted for having a total of 5 years experience, and also Australian experience. I don't lose more points on my age for another 5 years.
Obviously this is all hot air if there is no longer employers willing to sponsor.
Again, cheers for all the time everyone has taken to offered advise.

​​​
​​​
Old Dec 7th 2018, 4:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the honest responses everybody.
TBH it would just brake my heart to leave him at home, especially as I know he would come if the option was there. Yes I need to get a grip, I know.
I need to think fast, turned 40 yesterday, and my 10 year old is due to start secondary school in September 2019. My 5 year old is in reception class but he starts school properly (year 1) in September 2019.

For the past couple of years I have been completing my application to get registered in Canada. I have completed additional learning but the amount to complete is just overwhelming and very expensive.
Whilst completing my nurse training from 2010-2014 the plan was always to go to Australia. I didn't keep up with immigration developments and was gutted upon completion of my course, to find that I would require a degree as previously a diploma was sufficient.
In the past couple of weeks or so I have just found out that it is possible to get registered in New Zealand and then use this to register in Australia via TTMR. New Zealand also require a degree, but they may register you if given proof that you have completed additional learning since qualifying. Mandatory training appears to be enough, but in addition I have completed a course via a Canadian college so I feel there is a fair chance of me being accepted.

I have looked at the new visa (482). There is no mention of a points requirement. If I was to then apply for permanent visa after being in oz for a couple of years, then my points would be boosted for having a total of 5 years experience, and also Australian experience. I don't lose more points on my age for another 5 years.
Obviously this is all hot air if there is no longer employers willing to sponsor.
Again, cheers for all the time everyone has taken to offered advise.

​​​
It is indeed possible to register with New Zealand and then transfer that across to Australia via the Trans-Tasman agreement. I did hear rumours that NZ were also looking at the degree-only thing, so keep your eyes open.
Sponsorship as a nurse is still possible, but jobs, both sponsored and otherwise are becoming increasingly hard to get here. There is a glut of Aus-qualified new graduates and you would be competing with them for posts. Many employers have stopped sponsoring altogether, but there are still some out there.
You're right, there is no points test for the TSS 482, but be aware that Aus migration is getting tougher all the time, and there is no guarantee that the rules for PR won't change, the age limit may even drop from 45, so I would be looking at applying for that as soon as you possibly can.