Reload this Page >

Mental Health Diploma graduate - work in Australia

Mental Health Diploma graduate - work in Australia

Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:33 am
Just Joined

sambroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mental Health Diploma graduate - work in Australia

Hi there,
I'm a 30 year old Mental Health Nurse from the UK, hoping to move to Australia in June. I have been told that I may struggle to find work in Australia in certain areas due to 1) being from overseas, and 2)only holding a diploma, despite this being a recognised qualification in the UK to allow me to practice as a registered mental health nurse.
My friend lives in Armidale and says work there is easier to pick up, however thinks that working in Newcastle or nearer to the sea would be difficult to find a suitable job as they have a better application rate and prefers Australians?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and i do apologise if this is a repeated thread (I did try and search).

Thanks,
Sam
Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health Diploma graduate - work in Australia

Originally Posted by sambroo
Hi there,
I'm a 30 year old Mental Health Nurse from the UK, hoping to move to Australia in June. I have been told that I may struggle to find work in Australia in certain areas due to 1) being from overseas, and 2)only holding a diploma, despite this being a recognised qualification in the UK to allow me to practice as a registered mental health nurse.
My friend lives in Armidale and says work there is easier to pick up, however thinks that working in Newcastle or nearer to the sea would be difficult to find a suitable job as they have a better application rate and prefers Australians?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and i do apologise if this is a repeated thread (I did try and search).

Thanks,
Sam
Obvious question - what visa are you moving on?
Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:45 am
Just Joined

sambroo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Obvious question - what visa are you moving on?
Hi sorry, not such an obvious answer I'm afraid. I think it will end up being a WHV with the hope of meeting an employer willing to sponsor. I am not eligible for the skilled migrant visa I'm led to believe because I have a diploma, not a degree. Any advice there would be appreciated the same!

Thanks
Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:52 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambroo
Hi sorry, not such an obvious answer I'm afraid. I think it will end up being a WHV with the hope of meeting an employer willing to sponsor. I am not eligible for the skilled migrant visa I'm led to believe because I have a diploma, not a degree. Any advice there would be appreciated the same!

Thanks
So a WHV is just that - a holiday visa that allows you to work. You cannot work for an employer for more than 6 months. I also don't think you can work as a nurse without being AHPRA registered.

If the long term goal is to move to Australia, maybe use the WHV to confirm those intentions but ultimately you may need to look at getting degree qualified.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You can't work as a nurse without registration. To gain registration you need a degree.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Forget it. Australia has more psychologists to the square inch than anywhere else in the planet and they pretty much have the monopoly on mental health. If you're a degreed nurse who can be registered with AHPRA and get a visa that way then you might get work as a nurse but your mental health diploma on its own is worth diddly squat TBH. As for coming on a WHV and hoping to work in mental health while you are there so you could get sponsorship - unlikely to happen, you'd have to be registered with AHPRA for starters and then you'd likely only be provisional and require all the supervision and PD and you're not likely to get that on a WHV. If you want to come for a holiday, brush up your barista skills and learn how to mix drinks and have a good time before pursuing your career back home. You may be coming for a holiday in June but not moving forever.

Last edited by quoll; Dec 9th 2018 at 5:08 am.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
You can't work as a nurse without registration. To gain registration you need a degree.

Incorrect

Types of Nursing Courses | Nursing Courses

There's a huge shortage of PSEN's in Victoria. There are plenty doing double shifts though Swingshift and on Bank, specialing mostly.

I doubt a UK diploma would count though.....

Maybe though...... For the OP Phone this lot and ask for Eric, You'll get the 100pct correct answer then, including for interstate.

https://www.swingshift.com.au/

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 11th 2018 at 4:02 am.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You should qualify for Div2 is the consensus at the RMH...

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 11th 2018 at 5:23 am. Reason: Need 100 pct confirmation of type of diploma.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 7:18 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi OP, search the forum and read up online about registering in NZ and then using the transtasman. I don't know if this is still possible but certainly it still was up until recently when NZ were registering diploma trained (not automatically - it depends on transcript plus experience and takes time), which then allows a very simple registration in Australia via transtasman. Google it all and see if it's still an option for you.