Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A step in the right direction!

A step in the right direction!

Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about
Angry A step in the right direction!

My wife has just told me that our friends who we were on holiday in oz with have decided to go for it, going down the skilled visa route, he being an electrition, have said they will give it 2 years to see how they go. Hopefully this will give my wife the encouregment to do the same, she says she wants to see how they get on,but this could put us back at least another 2 years.
Wife is still worried about giving up what we have here, although she keeps telling everyone how much she loved oz , maybe our friends going will be the push she needs. I certainly dont want to be seen to pressurise her in any way.
Friend wife was worried about mentioning the subject to her parents but apparently they were fine about it, this is whats worrying my wife, what her dad will say, mums fine but hasn't had the courage to talk to her dad yet.
Just have to see how it goes.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:35 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Carryon, I can totally sympathise with you. My missus initially seemed keen, then withdrew a bit, then started looking at AUS property on the web, then didn't want to talk about it, etc.

Migration is a real rollercoaster ride of emotions. I thought that it was going to be fairly straightforward, and it would have been if it was just me, but when you have others to consider then the game get's a lot tougher.

There's no easy answer, I honestly am beginning to believe that the whole thing is going to have to be a huge leap of faith and that th emove will benefit everyone involved. How you convince them of that ? - well if you manage to work that one out then let me know the secret

BTW, where in Essex are you. I'm in Wickford.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Watcha essexnobby, we're in witham, not far away ah,
My wife is the same ,last year she was all for starting the ball rolling and it was me who had to tell her to slow down, we only came back from oz last week after a months recee, she loved Adelaide and Sydney.
As you say if it was up to me il'd be gone, but its her skill as a nurse that will get us there, so i have to just keep trying to nudge her in the right direction, but our friends deciding to go{FROM hALSTEAD}Is definatly a help, we visited our friends in Sydney who emigrated 2 half years ago also from Witham, and they love it, so that helped a bit, i dont know what more i can do as i would hate to be accused of some kind of blackmail to get her to agree. good luck to you too in your decision.....simon
Old Apr 16th 2004, 10:00 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by carryon
Watcha essexnobby, we're in witham, not far away ah,
My wife is the same ,last year she was all for starting the ball rolling and it was me who had to tell her to slow down, we only came back from oz last week after a months recee, she loved Adelaide and Sydney.
As you say if it was up to me il'd be gone, but its her skill as a nurse that will get us there, so i have to just keep trying to nudge her in the right direction, but our friends deciding to go{FROM hALSTEAD}Is definatly a help, we visited our friends in Sydney who emigrated 2 half years ago also from Witham, and they love it, so that helped a bit, i dont know what more i can do as i would hate to be accused of some kind of blackmail to get her to agree. good luck to you too in your decision.....simon
It's a bit of a tightrope carryon. Slightly different story but we decided to tell our parents almost from the off. Mrs M's mother took it badly and didn't speak to us for a week and during that time Mrs M was having serious doubts about it. It was doing me in after we had finally decided but I couldn't push her. I didn't want to be the villain if she permanently fell out with her mother. We talked about it a bit but I tried just to listen. I wanted to say "your mother is being really selfish. Let's just look after ourselves" but had to bite my tongue. Just by chance a friend whose girlfriend is from the Gold Coast called (incidentally, the same guy who finally persuaded us) and just listening to him I think persuaded her. The next day her mother called and sorta kinda gave her blessing and now we're all systems go.
This might not help you and I'd love to be able to suggest a fix but all I can say is don't push her too hard but be there to listen to her. She might just convince herself it's a good idea.
Good luck.