Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Steel Erector jobs

Steel Erector jobs

Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

danbradb1987 will become famous soon enoughdanbradb1987 will become famous soon enough
Default Steel Erector jobs

Any advise appreciated.
My wife as the visa with her being a nurse and is adamant that we ove to Perth, with our 4 children.

I have been in the construction industry for 23yrs and unfortunatly to old for a visa @ 46.
My trade was Steel erector,and have held higher postions within this title as site manager supervisor ect have experience in estimating ect.

I am still un-sure about the move but unfortunatly just been made redundant after 12yrs with the same company.This now strenghtens my wifes case to emergrate to Aus. Spent most of my working life in the petro chemical sites.

Is ther work in Perth for steel erectors and do i need a trade test ?I have read on the forums people asking over this.
I am ok in the uk s I have the paper work to back up my CV and my ex empolyer but is this acceptable for OZ .
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steel Erector jobs

If your wife applied for a visa you would have been added as a dependent, therefore YOU have a visa as well.

Unfortunately at this time the job market for trades is a little tighter than it was 6 months or a year ago but you can rest assured that as a nurse your wife will have no problem finding a job. Take a read of www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au for jobs in your trade to see what's out there.

If you can, don't sell your home in UK but rather rent it out so if things don't work out here you can return. Kids are usually pretty resillient, so they should be ok. How old are they and where are you looking to move? I know you said Perth, but do you know where in Perth?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

danbradb1987 will become famous soon enoughdanbradb1987 will become famous soon enough

she is looking at manduria around that area
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danbradb1987
she is looking at manduria around that area
I would imagine you would be better to consider something nearer to Metropolitan Perth; your wife will have more hospitals to choose from [private and government] and you will have more options for work. Mandurah is nice enough, but the employment possibilities for both healthcare and your line of work are limited and it is a distance from Perth itself.

You are in good situation in at least some ways; your wife is guaranteed to find a job so you will have one income.

What visa will you be coming on ? If it is a PR visa you will qualify for extra financial benefits which will help with 4 kids and one income for a while.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Steel Erector jobs

hi the vis we are on is a state sponsorship-skilled sponsored 176. we have just recieved the medical/police paprer work, but have been told to wait untill we get a case officer. many thanks for your reply