Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really stupid question to 'Gas fitters'

Really stupid question to 'Gas fitters'

Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Really stupid question to 'Gas fitters'

I know I'll probably sound like a right idiot, but oh well, here goes.

My OH is a gas fitter (or so I thought that was his title!). After looking into the description of 'Gas Fitter' on the TRA website, its nothing like what he does and so I'm now worried that his job isnt even on the list of jobs in demand.
My partner fits central heating systems hear in the uk and services all gas appliances, he is obviously Corgi reg'd (I'm sure on that , lol).
The problem is, I dont know what his job will be listed as or if it is on the list.

Please help.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Really stupid question to 'Gas fitters'

Originally Posted by nicola27
I know I'll probably sound like a right idiot, but oh well, here goes.

My OH is a gas fitter (or so I thought that was his title!). After looking into the description of 'Gas Fitter' on the TRA website, its nothing like what he does and so I'm now worried that his job isnt even on the list of jobs in demand.
My partner fits central heating systems hear in the uk and services all gas appliances, he is obviously Corgi reg'd (I'm sure on that , lol).
The problem is, I dont know what his job will be listed as or if it is on the list.

Please help.
general plumber then when he does his exam he picks gas. Thats what I did
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ronnie98
general plumber then when he does his exam he picks gas. Thats what I did
Thanks for that. Would he be listed with TRA/SOL as a general plumber though as he hasnt got his plumbing quals here in the uk.

nicola
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nicola27
Thanks for that. Would he be listed with TRA/SOL as a general plumber though as he hasnt got his plumbing quals here in the uk.

nicola
Ah, I dont think so, does he have is gas city and guilds or NVQ if so it will be the gas fitters route
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

If hes corgi regd and city and guilds or acs qualified then its gas fitter, to be a plumber in Oz you need to have plumbing qualifications. Im an ex BG eng, and passed tra as gas fitter, but to be a plumber in Oz its back to college for 4 years, and from what I can gather theres not enough work to just be a gas fitter over there, they are all plumbers that do a bit of gas work, somewhat different to the uk im afraid, that said there were some moves to alter that to recognise the skill set of the uk gas fitter(ie ability to do plumbing as well.) by the authorities, not sure how far thats got though.PM me for more if interested, cheers! Lots of gas fitters have gone out and returned disenchanted by the whole 'we need you and your skills but when you get here you cant actually ply your trade' bullshit, so be as thorough as you can about hubbies prospects before you give up the UK!There sre jobs with the utilities companies, but everyone wants them so they are few and far between, and its recession time too.Good luck!