Stay or Go?

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:36 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay or Go?

Originally Posted by brissybee
OK, I get pasta is cheap... what are the other 6 dinners then? Honestly, I just don't buy the $125 for a week for 4. And what about laundry powder, loo paper, mortein, moretein and even moretein for all the spiders?
I never made the claim I could run a family of four on $125 a week, to be fair. I wonder if it might be possible, especially if websites like this had a forum dedicated to sales and bargains, etc that people could use and contribute to. I know healthy food is cheap, especially if bought in bulk, but the other items you mention add to the bill considerably.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

A lasagne to feed 4 costs $10 to make
A small beef silverside roast costs under $10 - enough to feed us last night anyway
Bulk beef (all cuts) is under $8/kg when bought in bulk
Pasta, Tuna, some salad is cheap as
When things are genuinely on sale, buy shit loads of it - shower gel, dishwasher tablets, washing powder, deodorant, pasta, tea, coffee etc
Buy in bulk
Shop at the market
Make your own bread, ice cream, jam, butter, cakes
Grow your own lemons, limes
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:52 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I never made the claim I could run a family of four on $125 a week, to be fair. I wonder if it might be possible, especially if websites like this had a forum dedicated to sales and bargains, etc that people could use and contribute to. I know healthy food is cheap, especially if bought in bulk, but the other items you mention add to the bill considerably.
No, but you did say... "Just last night we spent $150 in Coles and got everything we will need for at least 10 days, and not including a few top-ups maybe two weeks."

I think you must have had good reserves already at home.

Anyhow, I just think the OP should be aware that Australia is a long way from grocery Utopia...

Actually, colesonline.com.au will give any prospective migrant an idea of what groceries really cost in Australia. (Just use a capital city postcode, like 2000 to get into the system.)
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A small beef silverside roast costs under $10 - enough to feed us last night anyway
When things are genuinely on sale, buy shit loads of it - shower gel, dishwasher tablets, washing powder, deodorant, pasta, tea, coffee etc
Buy in bulk
Shop at the market
Make your own bread, ice cream, jam, butter, cakesGrow your own lemons, limes
Alternatively buy it and have a life outside your kitchen
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:19 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
No, but you did say... "Just last night we spent $150 in Coles and got everything we will need for at least 10 days, and not including a few top-ups maybe two weeks."

I think you must have had good reserves already at home.
We always have reserves of staples and tins at home, often bought very cheaply in bulk as Amazulu suggests. We have barely touched that stuff bought last week. When 2 kilos of rice costs $5 and there are 40 servings in it, that makes 12.5c of rice per person per meal. Les if you buy that rice from an Asian store in bulk.

A serving of beef can be under $1, and the sauce just a few cents and you have a nice dinner for less than $2 per person. But you have to be able to cook, for one thing, and also not be a... shall we say... gastronaut. If one has an enormous gut to maintain it ain't going be easy in our house.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Alternatively buy it and have a life outside your kitchen
With a breadmaker and Thermomix it's all done very quickly.

So, make it cheaper and have a life outside your kitchen.

Last edited by Amazulu; Sep 3rd 2012 at 4:37 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

With a breadmaker and Thermomix it's all done very quickly.

So, make it cheaper and have a life outside your kitchen.
I am quite comfortable not knowing what Thermomix is, ever
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Helen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to all

Hello! Ok, I just want to give you my experiences. I moved just over 4years ago. It was more my husband who wanted to do it. I am very close to my family, and this was a concern for me. My husband and I are 40 years old, no kids.

So, the good - yes, the weather is better than the UK, which does lead to more outdoor activities. There is no doubt about that.
The bad, give a long and hard think. I am the youngest of 3. My brother has twin girls. I do not have the close relationship with them my sister does. She is the Aunt they know and love. The longer I am here, the less they know me.
Then, my big fear was my parents and ill health. Well, my big fear came true. In 2010, my Mum was diagnosed with cancer. If you are close to family, you can't imagine how hard this is trying to deal with this from so far away. I am in a way lucky too. My husband has a good job ( earns approx 200k ). With no kids to tie me down here, I was able to jump on a plane and spend 6 weeks back in the UK. I know others who just can't do that, and. Have just had to take their annual leave, and go back for 2 or 3 weeks and that is it.

I do not mean to be all doom and gloom, but this is the reality. It has put a huge strain on what was a happy marriage. I am constantly in a state of depression. I have been seeing a psychologist to try and help, but it is not easy.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

golgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nice

If the work is in Concord you can look at several places around it, the Sutherland shire is a good option. Family friendly and great transport links.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by golgo13
If the work is in Concord you can look at several places around it, the Sutherland shire is a good option. Family friendly and great transport links.
Whatever you do just don't watch The Shire if you're going to consider moving there. Up the Sharkies.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

My hubbie earns $80K. We live in a shitty rental in Brisbane for $480 a week, source our food from Aldi and local markets, and don't really go on holiday. eat out from time to time using scoopon vouchers. We have two teens so a lot more expensive than toddlers - with school and uni costs, trips, driving lessons etc...

I work in IT and when I can get work - it is the equivalent of $120K pa. We are very flush when I am working, and can save 3-4K an month to put away for the times I am out of work. The work situation is very unstable and you can never really plan. We have experienced a huge drop in standard of living moving here, but hey, the sun is shining!

If we had to live on $80K it just wouldn't work. Half the take home goes on rent, then there are bills, food, medical bills (horrendous 'out of pocket' fees), uniform, books etc......

You can probably survive on $70k in a cheap area of Oz, but you won't live well. If you can take a secondment, why not give it a go? I wouldn't burn your bridges in the UK. Personally I wouldn't advise anyone to give up a well paid permanent role in the UK to move to Australia at the moment unless they had a well paid ($150k plus) stable job awaiting them. But experiences differ.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:55 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

My gut feeling is that the OP would be depressed, lonley and poor....but treated as an adventure for a year or two before the baby reaches school age would be fun. Don't burn any bridges and assure the Grandparents you'll be back
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Buy in bulk
Shop at the market
Make your own bread, ice cream, jam, butter, cakes
Grow your own lemons, limes
I also buy things like shower gel, shampoo, deodorant, detergent, washing-up liquid, toilet cleaners, Heinz baked beans, pasta sauces and Sunflower cooking oil when half price.

I now look through the Coles and Woolworths catalogues which come in the post each week to see what specials there are each Wednesday. I used to just chuck them in the bin as junk mail until I realised how much I could save,
especially on toiletries.

A lot of people must do the same as my local Coles sometimes sells out of half-price items by lunchtime on the day they go on sale !!!

And I made strawberry jam the for time ever a couple of weeks ago, with the help of my sister, who was visiting from the UK. I can't believe how easy it is and tastes so much better than shop-bought jam.

I now want to master marmalade which is bit more involved. Anybody got
an easy recipe using the type of oranges available in Australia ? All the ones I googled use Seville oranges.