Stay or Go?

Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow_Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stay or Go?

Hi

I am so confused and need a little help.

My husband has been offered a job with sponsorship in Concord NSW, we have a 7 month old baby, the basic salary is $70k + commision and a company car.

If we where to go i would be a stay at home mum, would this be doable on this salary, we don't have an extravagant lifestyle but would want enough money to live well.

Also did anyone else emmigrate with a young child, how did the grandparents take it, we have told my parents we are seriously considering it and they are devasted, constantly crying and refusing to discuss it with us. My brother lives in Wales with his little one so they don't see him very often and love having my little one close by. I am also worried about having no support network over there.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense - feel very torn and not sure what to do
Old Aug 26th 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

teamgb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stay or Go?

i am in the same situation as yourself so look forward to some advice on here
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know where Concord is and am on phone so cant check too easily. If it is close to Sydney then things could be tight due to housing costs. If it is further out then housing gets cheaper. You havent said how you feel about it? Excited, indifferent, something you always wanted to do, something one of you always wanted to do? These are very important factors too but you have only mentioned money and what parents think, I dont think I would move for that money.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:31 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might find the cost of living quite high on that wage but I guess it depends on what you would be giving up, financially, as to whether its an option to consider.

You are fortunate in that you don't have schools to consider yet, however your family ties sound like they might be an issue.

If your husband is desperate to take the job/have the adventure and might resent not doing so, you could agree to try it for a limited time (year or so) and see how you go?

If you do come to Australia, don't immediately sever all ties (sell up home etc) in the UK and make absolutely certain you can afford to go home if you want to.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow_Girl
Hi

My husband has been offered a job with sponsorship in Concord NSW, we have a 7 month old baby, the basic salary is $70k + commision and a company car.

If we where to go i would be a stay at home mum, would this be doable on this salary, we don't have an extravagant lifestyle but would want enough money to live well.

Also did anyone else emmigrate with a young child, how did the grandparents take it, we have told my parents we are seriously considering it and they are devasted, constantly crying and refusing to discuss it with us. My brother lives in Wales with his little one so they don't see him very often and love having my little one close by. I am also worried about having no support network over there.

What kind of Visa is it?

All depends on the commission. If it's 100k then fine, if it's 5k forget it.

Concord is inner west sydney (according to Wiki), quick search on realestate.com shows you'll be paying $500-600 in rent for an average 3 bed house.

70k salary is 55k take home
$600 a week rent is $31200
$150 a week shopping is $7800

Rent and shopping alone leaves you with 15k left

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/wi...137%3b+/list-1
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:54 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Funny how the people who react like this never see it as an opportunity for their kids and also themselves. Thankfully my parents were 100% supportive. Listen, 70k will be just fine as long as your rent is cheap. If you can find a cheap rental 70k will work fine (unless you have a Gucci/Moet way of valuing self-worth of course...) but a big rent bill and you will struggle. I don't know much about NSW but here in highly civilized SA you can get so-so rents right on the beach for $250 a week.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

My boy was 7 months when we left. My parents didn't say much, my mother in law was devastated. Every time it came up in conversation she would just start crying. It got to the point where we wouldn't talk to them, or about it near them.
Pretty much every time my wife speaks to them she tells her how selfish we are taking him away, she's says she is only saying it in a 'jokey' way. But if it is everytime we speak to her it gets very annoying. My wife feels guilty enough about taking him away too anyway.

You've got to think of yourself though, it's your life. Live it how you choose.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:56 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Funny how the people who react like this never see it as an opportunity for their kids and also themselves. Thankfully my parents were 100% supportive. Listen, 70k will be just fine as long as your rent is cheap. If you can find a cheap rental 70k will work fine (unless you have a Gucci/Moet way of valuing self-worth of course...) but a big rent bill and you will struggle. I don't know much about NSW but here in highly civilized SA you can get so-so rents right on the beach for $250 a week.
Maybe in S. A., but no way at that price in Sydney.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

I think i have been through every emotion known and possibly a few more, the only sticking points are money - can we afford it and the guilt at leaving family.

Also slightly worried i won't make any new friends

It is something we have talked about for a few years, but never really thought it would become a real possability?

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much the following would cost per month:

Electricity
Gas
Water
Food
Telephone
Cable / Sky
Internet
Mobiles

Anything else i haven't thought of.

Is there any decent suburbs that rent is more affordable i could look into?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

We're living in a large two bed apartment in Epping which is on the same train line as Concord. Takes about 10-15 minutes. Rent is $450 a week. Suits us fine.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

How much are your monthly outgoings roughly?

Thanks in advance x
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:51 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Maybe in S. A., but no way at that price in Sydney.
Yes so it seems, and the prices I have seen suggest to me that wages would have to be around twice as high in Sydney to accommodate them and maintain a living standard with SA, which they are not of course.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

I think i have been through every emotion known and possibly a few more, the only sticking points are money - can we afford it and the guilt at leaving family.

Also slightly worried i won't make any new friends

It is something we have talked about for a few years, but never really thought it would become a real possability?

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much the following would cost per month:

Electricity
Gas
Water
Food
Telephone
Cable / Sky
Internet
Mobiles

Anything else i haven't thought of.

Is there any decent suburbs that rent is more affordable i could look into?
You'll make it work and you will make new friends in time. Plenty people on here will scare-monger you with the cost of living, but you will make it work I am sure. Our household income is about the same as yours and we live comfortably with these expenses per month;

Mortgage - $2000
Electricity - $100
Gas - $50
Water - $30
Food - $500
Telephone - $40
Cable / Sky - don't bother, just download UK TV!
Internet - $50
Mobiles - $90
Car ins x 2 - $70
Car loan - $200
Home ins - $30

We have an annual trip to the UK, which for all 4 of us costs about $10,000 incl spending money. Plenty of people do it on less than $75k.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger82
You'll make it work and you will make new friends in time. Plenty people on here will scare-monger you with the cost of living, but you will make it work I am sure. Our household income is about the same as yours and we live comfortably with these expenses per month;

Mortgage - $2000
Electricity - $100
Gas - $50
Water - $30
Food - $500
Telephone - $40
Cable / Sky - don't bother, just download UK TV!
Internet - $50
Mobiles - $90
Car ins x 2 - $70
Car loan - $200
Home ins - $30

We have an annual trip to the UK, which for all 4 of us costs about $10,000 incl spending money. Plenty of people do it on less than $75k.

GOOD LUCK!!
It is great that you manage and feel so flush of course.

However if I add up your monthly expenditure and multiply by 12 and then add on your $10k annual trip, it actually comes to more than the take home pay of a $70k salary and that is with no allowance whatsoever for treats and indeed for any new clothes.

And $500 pm for food for 4! Are you serious? That is less than $30 per week per person, I spend more than that on coffes!

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 28th 2012 at 3:09 am.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It is great that you manage and feel so flush of course.

However if I add up your monthly expenditure and multiply by 12 and then add on your $10k annual trip, it actually comes to more than the take home pay of a $70k salary and that is with no allowance whatsoever for treats and indeed for any new clothes.

And $500 pm for food for 4! Are you serious? That is less than $30 per week per person, I spend more than that on coffes!
I agree with your maths; I drew the same conclusions, but the food bill just shows intelligent shopping. We spend less than this per person, I would think, but not including booze.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.