State of Origin

Old May 23rd 2007, 1:00 am
Chris

tscw1 will become famous soon enough
Default State of Origin

Hi

State of Origin is on now and there are alot of people walking around wearing maroon.

Does anyone on here care about it or even got any interest in any Aussie sports? I miss real football, the banter involved and the gossip etc. The footy news from the UK is restricted to the internet and satellite (which I don't have)

Chris
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State of Origin

Originally Posted by tscw1
Hi

State of Origin is on now and there are alot of people walking around wearing maroon.

Does anyone on here care about it or even got any interest in any Aussie sports? I miss real football, the banter involved and the gossip etc. The footy news from the UK is restricted to the internet and satellite (which I don't have)

Chris
Rugby League has got to be one of the worst sports ever invented.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:21 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I watch the game but it doesnt really bother me who wins cetainly not to the extent of football back home.

I listened to Forest early Saturday morning in the play offs and they lost god was I in a bad mood . I then had to go to Indooroopilly shopping centre and got the inevitable 'how are you" question boy did that young girl wish she hadnt asked that after my 5 minute tirade in her direction.

There are far worse sports than rugby league just to mention a few swimming, all racket sports and formula 1.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:33 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Aussie rules is worse..
They're doing a sweep at work for the 1st try scorers' for both sides in the origin match.Ive picked out both numer 2's .Wingers arent they?
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Not here in WA. Who is playing?
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Not here in WA. Who is playing?
Yeah. Great isn't it! It gets 1/4 page on page 8 of the sports section. There are advantages to being 'isolated'!
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
Aussie rules is worse..
They're doing a sweep at work for the 1st try scorers' for both sides in the origin match.Ive picked out both numer 2's .Wingers arent they?
I can't get excited about it, but I don't mind AFL. It's a pretty braindead sport so is not taxing a way to spend a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.
Don't know about league but in union the wingers are 11 and 14, so they sound like forwards to me.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:28 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love watching the English game but with no team in WA do not follow it over here. I don't think Fox even bothered showing any games at all over west last year.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

We've been invited over to an aussie neighbour's house to watch the game with them & their mates.... I don't even really understand or care about UK rugby/football, let alone this! We're going, obviously, because of the never-say-no rule, and they are nice people - so I have a choice of asking lots of questions to try & understand, or sitting there quietly and waiting for it to finish! I don't even know what state maroon is for...?

(I'm in NSW though, what colour would that be?)

Any clever sounding comments that I can trot out later on?Eg notable controversy from last year, for example? Any players out with injuries? Any referees that are obviously biased?!
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:06 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone on here care about it or even got any interest in any Aussie sports?
I care enough to watch it and I will be gloating over my cockroach colleagues when we win. That is a lot more than I used to care about most sport when I lived in the UK.

I miss real football
Here in Qld state of origin is real football

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:10 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
We've been invited over to an aussie neighbour's house to watch the game with them & their mates.... I don't even really understand or care about UK rugby/football, let alone this! We're going, obviously, because of the never-say-no rule, and they are nice people - so I have a choice of asking lots of questions to try & understand, or sitting there quietly and waiting for it to finish! I don't even know what state maroon is for...?

(I'm in NSW though, what colour would that be?)

Any clever sounding comments that I can trot out later on?Eg notable controversy from last year, for example? Any players out with injuries? Any referees that are obviously biased?!
Good for you that you are going - even if you are not that interested. Best not to ask loads of questions, but tell them at the start that you have no idea what is going on and any explanations would help.

Probably not a good idea to try clever sounding comments, but it would be worth noting that NSW are the blues, so you had probably better support them for the night.

Cheers,

DagBoy

Go Maroons!
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:16 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Starting to get into it a bit having been to the Suncorp a few times to see the Bronco's. Even know some of the players names now! Can't get into Union or AFL, my kids follow the Bronco's now. I took them to a Qld Roar game last season to try and keep the football (real football) interest and they still wear their Gooner footy strips. The quality of the A league is about Conference Level I would say. I still watch the odd EPL game and the BBC Football website is the first thing I check on getting to work.

I'll be cheering the marowns tonight....strange how maroon is pronounced marown. I reffed a kids football game last season and they wondered what I was on about when I shouted 'maroon throw' with a pomie accent.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:34 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

I can't get excited about it, but I don't mind AFL. It's a pretty braindead sport so is not taxing a way to spend a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.
Don't know about league but in union the wingers are 11 and 14, so they sound like forwards to me.
Rugby League positions
8 Prop forward 9 Hooker 10 Prop forward
11 Second row 12 Second row
13 Loose / lock forward

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Scrum-half / Halfback
6 Stand-off / Five-eight
4 Left centre 3 Right centre
5 Left wing 2 Right wing
1 Fullback

So I got the right winger for both sides .I had to google it tho
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:50 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working the bar at the local sports club tonight. We're doing $2.00 beers until the first score, I hope it's early on in the game.
I'd like QLD to win I backed them in the footy tipping.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:16 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I care enough to watch it and I will be gloating over my cockroach colleagues when we win. That is a lot more than I used to care about most sport when I lived in the UK.

Here in Qld state of origin is real football

Cheers,

DagBoy
We care about it enough to watch it We are off to a mates for a beer and pizza "Origin" party. There is about 30 of us going and he has 3 TV's going at the same time.

Rugby league was our game in the UK so we are in our element here. Could never get on with the round ball game but that could be because my dad was a rugby league player and I was brought up with it.

Greatest game in the world

GO YOU MAROONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.