Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting school & pre-school in Qld.

Starting school & pre-school in Qld.

Old May 2nd 2004, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting school & pre-school in Qld.

I have three children, aged 3, 4 & 7. Does anyone know when my 4 year old will start school? He will be 5 at the end of October.
Is pre-school the same thing as reception class in this country. Is it full time or half a day?
We are moving to Queensland.

I have tried a forum search but there were surprisingly few results.

Phil.
Old May 2nd 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I have a 4 yr old who is 5 in July and he will start year 1 in January, so your son should be the same.

At the moment he is in full-time Prep class ( private) as the local pre-school section of the state school was full up. The pre- school would only be 2-3 days per week anyway and they have a long waiting list. We chose to send him private as he went full-time in England and we didn't want him to go backwards!

Luckily out here they don't have waiting lists for other school year groups, they just keep taking the kids in, as long as you are in the area.

Pre-school is more like an English Nursery class only part time. Year 1 is more like Reception level. In pre-school they mainly play, rather than doing formal work. In year 1 they start a bit of formal learning.

Your younger child could go to 'day-care' which you would have to pay for. Most kids go for a couple of days a week.

Pm me if you want any more info.
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Pre-school in QLD is slowly changing from part time to full time, with intention of it being full time all over QLD by 2006 ? I think.

My Daughters school has a full time Pre-school, but that is also a private school.

You may be interested in this link on Preschool Curriculum Guidelines

My daughter is 7, ( although 8 in 3 weeks time) and she is in year 3.