Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting a job - things you should know!!!

Starting a job - things you should know!!!

Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:20 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Starting a job - things you should know!!!

Originally Posted by sme
Absolutely - I am equally as shocked as the OP that people DON'T investigate this Before they migrate !
I'm also surprised that the OP didn't know this before she moved. I'm a teacher and looked into the whole registration thing prior to moving. In Canada it varies from province to province so I would have had to reapply even moving across the country. I'm still at home with the kids but I'm in the process of appying now so I have my registration when I want to go back to work.

Now....I think we should give the OP a bit of a break because she seems pretty new to the site and may not have seen all the discussions about licences and registrations before. I myself may not have clued in had I not seen all the talk about the problems the electricians and other trades have. I didn't even need a skills assessment since we applied solely on my husbands skills, so I would not have seen any warnings on the matter.

I think it's great that the OP warned everyone though. These warnings are the reason many of us find out about what to expect when arrived. Had I not seen similar warning before I might not have known myself.

I think the general rule when starting over in a new country should be, if it's licenced/regulated in your own country then it's likely to be the same here. I go into everything here assuming I will need to read up on the rules, apply and wait just like everyone else. I'm presently surprised when something turns out to be easy, like converting our licences.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a job - things you should know!!!

I wonder if it's because it's a different country with different rules and regulations At least the majority of us (on BE anyway) don't have to learn another totally different, language to get by.