Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting a job - things you should know!!!

Starting a job - things you should know!!!

Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:26 am

staceylhughes is on a distinguished road
Angry Starting a job - things you should know!!!

Just thought I'd post a warning for all new migrants whose arrival is coming up.

Despite having your qualifications successfully assessed prior to emigrating you might also have to have them assessed and recognised again once you get here.

Each state has their own rules and if you (like me) have to register your qualifications again you could be looking to wait a couple of months before you can work in your field of expertise.

I am a teacher and I'm on week 6 of waiting for my registration but I've spoken to newly arrived plumbers, electricians, builders who also have the same problem - some being told they might even have to go to college to sit exams?!

We all had our qualifications assessed to get here but that doesn't matter :curse:

Either make sure you have enough money to support yourself and your family whilst you wait or be prepared to look for work outside your trade until your qualifications are successfully assessed again.

Stacey
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a job - things you should know!!!

Hmmm. Sorry to hear this but this shouldn't come as a surprise to any regular member of this forum, this subject has been discussed multiple times and a search would have given plenty of info.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Buzzy
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by staceylhughes
Just thought I'd post a warning for all new migrants whose arrival is coming up.

Despite having your qualifications successfully assessed prior to emigrating you might also have to have them assessed and recognised again once you get here.

Each state has their own rules and if you (like me) have to register your qualifications again you could be looking to wait a couple of months before you can work in your field of expertise.

I am a teacher and I'm on week 6 of waiting for my registration but I've spoken to newly arrived plumbers, electricians, builders who also have the same problem - some being told they might even have to go to college to sit exams?!

We all had our qualifications assessed to get here but that doesn't matter :curse:

Either make sure you have enough money to support yourself and your family whilst you wait or be prepared to look for work outside your trade until your qualifications are successfully assessed again.

Stacey

It can get worse....

If your not sure what state you intend to settle it's worth applying now for any other potential states. If you intend to teach in a catholic school then you need to pay your fees and register with the local diocese and they don't extend far so each area you need to do it again.

Good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:19 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by staceylhughes

Stacey
Yep, many of us realise this once we are here. It is a bummer, but persist and you will get where you want to be eventually. Took 13 months for me to get licences. Thats if you can wait that long.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:56 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Yep, many of us realise this once we are here. It is a bummer, but persist and you will get where you want to be eventually. Took 13 months for me to get licences. Thats if you can wait that long.
The wife has just applied for a job and before they will even consider her she has to pay another $700 to have another qualification verified. This is just to apply with no guarentee she will get it. Since being here she has spent in excess of $2,000 getting bits of paper and still no job from any of the effort.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:43 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by arkon
The wife has just applied for a job and before they will even consider her she has to pay another $700 to have another qualification verified. This is just to apply with no guarentee she will get it. Since being here she has spent in excess of $2,000 getting bits of paper and still no job from any of the effort.
I have always said it is all about how much more money the Govn can get out of you. Maybe thats why OZ is desperate for tradies
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:52 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey,

Could you not have registered before you arrived in Australia? I am also a teacher and got my registration before I went to Australia to save time .
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, sounds familiar, I'm afraid. John was 12 months here almost to the day before he got his QLD electrical licence after 22 weeks back at TAFE one night a week.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:27 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Yep, sounds familiar, I'm afraid. John was 12 months here almost to the day before he got his QLD electrical licence after 22 weeks back at TAFE one night a week.
different strokes for different folks. some find it easy, some find it hard. what takes one person 1 year may take another 3 months.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by youngy73
different strokes for different folks. some find it easy, some find it hard. what takes one person 1 year may take another 3 months.
Agree, but when it comes to QLD electrical licence, there doesn't seem to be an easier way at the moment.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:06 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Agree, but when it comes to QLD electrical licence, there doesn't seem to be an easier way at the moment.
recently done mine. took 5 months start to finish. all up would have only taken a couple weeks in time. did a test, waited 6 weeks for results for example. wasnt half as bad as people made out.doing my contractors course at the moment. 40 hours online course. 4 assignments to complete. did the first one on the sofa in a couple of hours.i found it more the inconvenience of having to do it rather than the courses themselves. there nothing on them that would catch anyone out. there are also many different ways to do things in QLD. for instance your hubby could have done his stuff online or via correspondance.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It states very clearly on your skills assessment document that a positive skills assessment does not qualify you to work in your profession in Australia and that you may have to do further training and licensing when you get here.
Your skills assessment simply says that you are a teacher/electician/bricklayer/plumber/doctor/lawyer/indian chief in YOUR country. It does not say you are qualified in Australia.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:05 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It states very clearly on your skills assessment document that a positive skills assessment does not qualify you to work in your profession in Australia and that you may have to do further training and licensing when you get here.
Your skills assessment simply says that you are a teacher/electician/bricklayer/plumber/doctor/lawyer/indian chief in YOUR country. It does not say you are qualified in Australia.
Absolutely - I am equally as shocked as the OP that people DON'T investigate this Before they migrate !
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:05 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ws99
Stacey,

Could you not have registered before you arrived in Australia? I am also a teacher and got my registration before I went to Australia to save time .
Yeah, my girlfriend has her registration all sorted and ready to start when we arrive!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Teach Australia are very clear on their website and actually also on the info they send to you when you get your certificate of approval back, that you have to register with the state that you wish to work with.

They also provide the web links to the state registration sites who also provide good indications for timescales.

For anyone out there who is reading this post, make sure you get registered before you go.....it is painless and straightforward but will save lots of problems when you arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.