Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Start of Winter! Badger's Packing stragety!

Start of Winter! Badger's Packing stragety!

Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by downunderpom
I was living in Whitchurch, just outside Basingstoke before we came out? Anywhere near where you were?

We used a part container - if I'd been given the right advice from the agent I would have taken a full container and brought my BMW. As it was, he told me that it was 60% import duty to bring the car into Oz. Bastard!
He was probably right!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
My scuba diving instructor lives in Odiham, and I went to the pool at the Air Force base each month for our club meet! Small world, huh?

We also had a 2 bed terrace there (rented), left most of the furniture, as a lot of it was Ikea, so not worth bringing, so we thought. Hindsight is 20-20, and I'd bring the bloody lot, including my multigym, HealthRider bike, two desks and my car if I had to do it all again. I also would have brought both of my computers, instead of selling one.

Never mind. That's ancient history. It was only 'things', all of which are replaceable.
Oooooh we might have known them!! (if they lived there 3 years ago).

We had alot of nice furniture (some antiques, the rest all solid wood), so we brought it all with us. As well as all the other stuff. I wasnt there when it got packed & shipped, I had come back to Oz, when it was unpacked at this end i kept pulling stuff out with a puzzled expression on my face saying "Why on earth did you bring a roll of cling wrap with 2 feet left on it?" LOL.

We brought it all .
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We took everything except the kitchen sink and it equated to 183 packages of some sort or another:scared:

Di
Old Dec 1st 2003, 2:53 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by CHnJ
He was probably right!
From the 'importing a car into Oz' threads I've read, only if I sold it within 2 years, apparently.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:50 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
Is your husband OK with that?
Oops!

lol
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:38 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by claireg3
I'm probably teaching granny to suck eggs here but make sure that you spread your clothing etc throughout all your suitcases ie underwear . everyday clothing, smarter clothing etc in each then in the event of you getting to Oz but your luggage not making it you'll still have stuff to wear whilst you are giving the airline a hard time.

I'm going to have to sit down tonight and work out how much everything is worth for the shipping insurance:scared:

The house looks like some kind of cargo depot at the minute with all Dave's "sparkling clean" tools in the conservatory and most of the kids toys shoved in there out of the way. Suitcases are around the place with all the summer clothes in. I just can't wait to get going now. Dreading the shippers coming though as I'm paranoid that they will have underestimated the amount of space we need. Where's my whiskey??

Claire

ANd while we're at it, from recent and painful experience, I can heartily recommend taking an entire spare change of clothes in your hand luggage so that when the airline loses your main luggage, you can begin the war with them wearing clean underwear (and not your bikini, which is all I had).