Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Start of Winter! Badger's Packing stragety!

Start of Winter! Badger's Packing stragety!

Old Dec 1st 2003, 10:44 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by cherry6
Dont forget there is no point taking a tv as it wont work in Oz. I am not sure about VCRs. A lot of UK fridges cant cope with the heat and the motor burns out easily. Washing machines? well top loaders are rubbish, but front loaders are more popular now and a new one can be bought for about $800 upwards. We only ever take 5 cubic metres and buy the rest when we get there. Also, if you are taking any expensive electrical items like a PC remember the basic removal insurance will not cover it against electrical derangement, you will have to insure that as an extra. Passing through the equator in a container on top of a ship can cause some probs!
nice list badge!

you made me think of all the cr*p i've got lurking around here, and most of it isn't worth the hastle to take it. Only my books, dvd's vids and cd's are worth the effort. My cd's and dvd's will be stripped of their cases and taken in a cd wallet or two in my hand luggage. the cases will follow later with my books and vids. that is unless i buy an ipod (or something like) and rip all my cd's on to there, in which case they will travel with the rest of the junk.

one book which certainly wont be travelling over there is my 'learn how to speak swedish in 'x' days'... or something like that. i was seeing a swedish girl at the time and thought it would impress...... it impressed her so much she left the country and went back to her swedish ex!

My 'big' things like the tv and sofa etc, if they can't be sold here i will ship over. most of my junk is either second hand anyway or falling apart, so it probably wouldn't make the trip. My desk is made out of breeze blocks and a kitchen worktop, so i'm sure i can find something similar when i get there. it's the best desk i've ever had!! I'm serious as well! loads of room and it's 3m long! i still can't find room for the scanner though! lol

if i can't flog my tv before i leave, i'll be taking it. (32in flatscreen with bells and whistles). Cherry, i've heard if you buy an auz video on arrival you can connect that to your tv through a scart lead, you can then watch the oz tv channels ....and it works....? so i'm told! Besides, from what everyone has been saying the tv isn't worth watching anyway!

i really should start to think ahead more about this sort of thing.... ah well i've got another 50 weeks to go yet! haha!

Good luck with it all badge and everyone else who's in the same boat (or plane).

leigh
Old Dec 1st 2003, 10:51 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Yes thats probably a possibility (re:tv). Unfortunately we have never paid very much for a TV and so therefore it has never been worth us taking ours. When we first moved to Perth in 1998 the removal company told us it would not be worth us taking our tv as it would not work, and I have never bothered to try since. Even this time, I will not bother, as I can buy a new 68cm TV for $499. I can sell mine and use the cash towards my new one!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 10:57 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hey Scutter,
got all excited then, was just about to make you an offer on your tv......but your arent going for another 50 (?) weeks yet, so thats buggered that idea.

Badgers - you are just SOOOOO organised!!! I was p-ing myself laughing at your list!!! You should rent yourself out!!!!

Sue
Old Dec 1st 2003, 10:59 am
Badge

Originally posted by karawara88
Badgers I am most dissapointed, I really thought you would arrive with just shorts and T - Shirt, surf board under arm and BOSCH life would be sorted.
Suitcases, clothes, furniture, dyson! what a let down.
lol

On initial planning in 2002, it was going to be the suitcases (packed as discussed) and the crates of books, plus 2 comfy sofas that took me all of 2001 to pay off. BOSH. Now I'm as good as married hence all the gear.

We are buying a tv out there, maybe a LCD jobby. (Sorry I forget - Straya is so backward, I'd be lucky to choose from 2 1980s TVs.) Along with laying down wood on all floors (fours?) that is what we plan to do to any home we buy.

I sold all my videos 2 years ago as most were bought ten years ago and are just plain daft.

Last edited by badgersmount; Dec 1st 2003 at 2:36 pm.

Old Dec 1st 2003, 11:11 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
lol

Along with laying down wood on all floors (fours?) that is what we plan to do to any home we buy.

certainly a good idea for when the little badgers start throwing up!!! some stains just defy scotchguard!!!

Old Dec 1st 2003, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I'm as good as married hence all the gear.
That explains it. But I am sorry to have to inform you that another 20ft container will be required for , makeup, Toileteries and other meaningless, useless girly things that never get worn but "might" be needed.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:02 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

The secret is to be ruthless, and take only what you really need.
I posted my 'useful' items list a few months ago(they are all items that i can't bear to throw away)...here it is again.

Full size bouncy castle that won't deflate
One-third size model railway with 22 miles of track
100 surplus top loader betamax vcr's
Five 16ft flagpoles
One John Deere muck loader/spreader
Nineteen dozen 'I shot JR mugs'
Couple of bannana boats (inflated only)
2 dozen Tony Blair ventriloquist dummies
14 empty non-refillable fire extinguishers

Anything I've missed?

Last edited by chippy; Dec 1st 2003 at 1:05 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:10 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

are you having any worries that the track will get damaged in transit-or is it welded together(probably best it is hey?)
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:32 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hey Scutter,
got all excited then, was just about to make you an offer on your tv......but your arent going for another 50 (?) weeks yet, so thats buggered that idea.

Badgers - you are just SOOOOO organised!!! I was p-ing myself laughing at your list!!! You should rent yourself out!!!!

Sue
if i was a bit further down the road i would have let you as well!! I'm not sure what's happening yet, i'm hopefully selling the house, or putting it up for sale, before march so i'll have to find a place to put the thing. it's a bit big to put in a small bedroom back in my folks house.....(*shudders at the thought of moving back with parents*)

*crosses his finger for a swift decision on the visa*

Leigh

PS JESUS! the weather's cr*p today!!! OK back to my painting.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 2:24 pm

Originally posted by scutterUK
it's a bit big to put in a small bedroom back in my folks house.....(*shudders at the thought of moving back with parents*)

*crosses his finger for a swift decision on the visa*

Leigh

What a nightmare!!
I moved back home to my parents for a couple ofmonths when I moved back from London - I was 24 but they treated me like a 15 year old!!!!
DONT DO IT!!! not if you value your sanity....but then I bet you have really nice folks anyway (mine are the worst)!!

Good luck

Sue

ps what are you painting? a portrait? a ceiling?
Old Dec 1st 2003, 3:57 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

I know the TV won't work for Oz telly, but we're taking the small TV and a video for the kids because they have got so many videos, it would be a disaster not to ship them too. Gotta keep them quiet somehow!!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Crikey Badge you are taking a lot with you! There are 5 of us and we are only taking 3 cases! I can't be bothered to struggle around with it all. We will take an empty one aswell and fill it up with clothes in the US.

I have thrown so many clothes away that I can fit all of my 3 children's clothes in 1 case!!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy
The secret is to be ruthless, and take only what you really need.
I posted my 'useful' items list a few months ago(they are all items that i can't bear to throw away)...here it is again.

Full size bouncy castle that won't deflate
100 surplus top loader betamax vcr's
Five 16ft flagpoles
One John Deere muck loader/spreader
Nineteen dozen 'I shot JR mugs'
Couple of bannana boats (inflated only)
2 dozen Tony Blair ventriloquist dummies
14 empty non-refillable fire extinguishers

Anything I've missed?

LOL!!!!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Good list Badge, your ability to be concise never fails to amaze me.

Am concerned, however, at the amount of " yadda, yadda " you will be taking with you, are you flying over europe or via the states?

Remember your baggage allowance!!!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:06 pm
Badge

Yadda yadda and BOSCH are becoming my catch phrases.

lol

We are flying west. hence 60 odd kilos each - say 3 Suitcases each.

As we will be flying domestic in States, we will take 2 Suitcases each as 2 * 50lbs is the limit - 2 * 22kg each.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.