Stamp Duty

Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:12 am
Badge

Default Stamp Duty

oweib paid 30k ish on a 500k ish property for costs and stamp duty.

On a 300k property, what would the stamp duty be? Anyone got the schedules?

Badge

Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

We ar elooking at houses for around your price range too Badger. I would be interested to know too.

A little piece of news on this front...here in NZ we get a lot of Aussie news on Sky TV.. it is very much in the news lately about abolishing stamp duty. It has been discussed in parliament. Some say it could be gone by 2005...not that its any use to us going now!!!
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:31 am
owieb

Default Re: Stamp Duty

Originally posted by badgersmount
oweib paid 30k ish on a 500k ish property for costs and stamp duty.

On a 300k property, what would the stamp duty be? Anyone got the schedules?

Badge
Try this http://www.reiwa.com.au/content-stampduty.cfm

Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find each state is different, NSW & Vic are huge money grabbers, the rest of Australia lags behind - as it always does according to some, personally I think thats a good thing especially in this case .

Havent got the figures to hand but its a huge difference from memory.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:53 am
owieb

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
I think you will find each state is different, NSW & Vic are huge money grabbers, the rest of Australia lags behind - as it always does according to some, personally I think thats a good thing especially in this case .

Havent got the figures to hand but its a huge difference from memory.
Yeah I should have said that that one was for WA, thank you MrsDagBoy.

Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:04 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
Anytime Mr. Gumleaf
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning Owieb or should I say Good Evening.

Is stamp duty payable on new builds?

BTW thanks for putting my mind at ease with regards :scuba diving and large fish with big teeth

Diane
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:21 am
Rocket Scientist

Heres some info on Qld - Stampduty info for Qld

Heres the calculator for Vic - Victoria Stamp duty calc

Still looking for NSW, Office of State Revenue website is very confusing!
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:37 am
Rocket Scientist

Interestingly, the stamp duty that Owieb paid in WA ie $30,000 would have been around $13,000 in Qld.

NSW stamp duty calculator

South Australian SD Calc

With all these, remember that these calculate the stamp duty payable on the actual transfer of land - stamp duty is also payable on a mortgage (but is considerably less, maybe a couple of thousand dollars).

Also you may get a stamp duty discount of you are a first home buyer - this will also depend on your visa status I guess.

Interesting to know, has anyone had to go through the foreign investment review board?

Diane, yes, its payable on sale of land, the house build is probably liable for it as well would be my guess.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:34 pm
owieb

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Interesting to know, has anyone had to go through the foreign investment review board?
Certainly have MrsDagBoy.

A very simple process of sending the form off and it was approved within a couple of weeks.

Old Oct 17th 2003, 2:21 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Rule of thumb in WA

5% of purchase price for all fees i.e stamp duty,settlement etc

hope this helps
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Certainly have MrsDagBoy.

A very simple process of sending the form off and it was approved within a couple of weeks.
Thanx Owieb, not applicable in our case as Im an Aussie, but for any investment properties it certainly applies as Dagboy is still on his 4 year work visa. Of course at the rate hes going with his PR application, he'll be back in the UK while the kids & I sit out here in the sun waiting for him to come back . Only way around it for us for now is property in my name only & that has certain tax implications.

Interesting to know how many people have bought properties & then found out later that they needed to go before the FIRB first. I imagine theres a few who might slip though .
Old Oct 20th 2003, 4:08 am
Just Joined

AndrewC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stamp Duty Schedules

A useful site is www.reia.com.au - the Real Estate Institute of Australia. From here you can access the various state members who have their own online calculators.

In WA stamp duty has increased 15% this year! You also need to check the rules for when stamp duty has to be paid by. The rules are slightly murky here in WA - and you could find yourself in WA paying the duty before you settle. The best advice is to read the rules.
Good luck to you all! Any questions drop me a line!
Andrew
Old Oct 20th 2003, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite a good "Total Home Buying Costs" calculator here

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/.../homeloans.asp