Reload this Page >

St Kilda good bad or ugly?

St Kilda good bad or ugly?

Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

sflahert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St Kilda good bad or ugly?

Is it as bad as you read or is it ok?

My wife and i are moving to melbourne at the end of the month and want to be somewhere relatively lively.

We are in the process of hunting for a house to rent and would be very greatful if we could have some feedback on the parts of St kilda to stay clear of?
We have found a few property's up near wellington / chapel st > what is the local area/people/shops likearound these parts of St kilda?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice
Default Re: St Kilda good bad or ugly?

You'll probably get more responses on http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php? It's specifically for those going to Melbourne.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

That's a hard one to answer. It depends on what you're looking for.
St Kilda used to be very dodgy, apparently, but it has certainly improved in recent years.
There are still a few druggies, alcos and prostitutes around, but it's also a very young and funky suburb.
There are loads of good and well priced restaurants and bars, if that's your thing, and obviously the beach is there (although it's not the best), and you're near the better beaches at Albert Park and Brighton.
I really like it, lived there for three months when we arrived last year, but it's not for everyone.
It's definitely edgy, there are lots of backpackers, some very run-down looking properties, graffiti but it's got a great vibe.
It's a bit if a trek to get to the city though as there's no train station so you have to rely on trams, which you'll soon realise seem to take forever!
Up towards Chapel Street is not the nicest area and I would probably choose to be in the heart of St K rather than the St K East area.
But as you head up Chapel Street and get to an area called Prahran, that's great. I've lived there for a short time too. Very lively, nearer train stations and the city than St K, restaurants, bars, cafes, great shopping, lots of fashion victims who are far too cool for their own good (), a cinema...ooh, I love it there.
Then as you head further up Chapel you get to South Yarra, which is also great, and a bit posher. It's pricier around there but very nice and very near the city.
St K and all the inner city suburbs are very much a question of personal taste. Some love 'em, some hate 'em.
If I was you I'd rent around St K or Prahran to start with and get a feel for the areas.
Good luck!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:50 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sflahert

My wife and i are moving to melbourne at the end of the month and want to be somewhere relatively lively.

We are in the process of hunting for a house to rent and would be very greatful if we could have some feedback on the parts of St kilda to stay clear of?
We have found a few property's up near wellington / chapel st > what is the local area/people/shops likearound these parts of St kilda?

If you'd like a 2005 melbourne suburbs rating guide, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

As for St Kilda, not the kind of place I'd recommend (Fitzroy street was a real hole when I visited there[ afew years back]. Prahran would be a better bet, but there are many places around melbourne not too far from the entertainment districts
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:02 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sflahert

Chapel Street/Wellington Road area is ok....Check out Balaclava Road and Inkerman Road.....the area you are talking about is really St Kilda East and is quite a desirable area to live in. If you live just across Hotham Street you move into Glen Eira District and it is even more desirable. You'd be on the Sandringham Train Line, good tram networks to CBD and South Eastern suburbs, 5 minutes drive/20 minutes walk to the beach, a choice of quite a few good schools (private, Catholic, Jewish, and state schools in the area). Chapel street and Balaclava Road are both quite lively places, but if you live behind the main streets it will be pretty quiet.

As long as you stay clear of the beachfront areas of St Kilda you'll be ok. There are still drug/prostitution/crime/overcrowding in season problems with the main St Kilda Beach area. Saying that, it is great to be able to go down there when you want.

Good luck and if you want any more info feel free to ask....I live 10 minutes drive from St Kilda Beach
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:07 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
If you'd like a 2005 melbourne suburbs rating guide, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

As for St Kilda, not the kind of place I'd recommend (Fitzroy street was a real hole when I visited there[ afew years back]. Prahran would be a better bet, but there are many places around melbourne not too far from the entertainment districts
Prahran now has a dodgy rep...lots of fighting Friday/Saturday nights. St Kilda is split in 2 by St Kilda road. To the West is St Kilda which I'd agree is no place to bring up kids if you have a choice. On the other side of the Nepean Highway is St Kilda East, the area the OP was talking about, which is becoming more desirable each week. Suburbs like Balaclava and St Kilda East are real places to be.