Passports

Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:21 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passports

I need to get, a new passport as my old one runs out in February, also my son's runs out in Feb as well. Do I need to get someone to countersign the pictures, my son is 5 and his photo in his last passport was when he was 6 months old.

Also, I found out that for someone to countersign your picture they need to have known you for 2 years. As I have only lived here for a year would I need to get someone from the UK to sign it.

Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports

Originally Posted by wargod
Also, I found out that for someone to countersign your picture they need to have known you for 2 years. As I have only lived here for a year would I need to get someone from the UK to sign it.
You should expect the British High Commission to have a reasonable policy in place to deal with this problem. It happens a lot. Usually they should accept a shorter period if you are a new resident to Australia, and if it's a renewal, a countersignature usually isn't needed anyway.

If they don't want to help, ask your MP in the UK (you are an overseas elector - aren't you?) to make an official complaint to the Foreign Office Minister.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:34 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
I need to get, a new passport as my old one runs out in February, also my son's runs out in Feb as well. Do I need to get someone to countersign the pictures, my son is 5 and his photo in his last passport was when he was 6 months old.

Thanks
I'm in the process of renewing my hubby's passport and the notes state that he should include his birth certificate AND get the signature countersigned.

We're in the same position as you in that we haven't been here 2 years yet either.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

Jules x
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:41 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julesandco
I'm in the process of renewing my hubby's passport and the notes state that he should include his birth certificate AND get the signature countersigned.

We're in the same position as you in that we haven't been here 2 years yet either.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

Jules x
My sons ran out before we had been here two years.......I got a JP to sign it and never had any hassles
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Once again. Birth certificate should not be needed for a straightforward renewal. As for countersignature - ask them what the procedure is for those in Australia less than 2 years. Normally they should accept a signature from someone who has known you for less than 2 years (how many times is it necessary to say this .... ?)

Don't waste time/money dealing with the premium rate "helpline" - write or email them directly. And if they won't answer or don't help, ask your MP in Britain to get involved.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 7th 2007 at 2:47 am.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:56 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Normally they should accept a signature from someone who has known you for less than 2 years (how many times is it necessary to say this .... ?)
OK! I'm just stating what is says on the accompanying notes that go with the passport application - you know; from the High Commission.

Pardon me for putting more onus on the wording of their documentation over a comment on a forum.

Jules.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:00 am
JAJ
Retired

OK! I'm just stating what is says on the accompanying notes that go with the passport application - you know; from the High Commission.

Pardon me for putting more onus on the wording of their documentation over a comment on a forum.
You can make up your mind who you choose to believe. Don't assume that these forms are put together by people who understand either the rules or real world circumstances.

Anyway, your choice. If you don't want to wait get a passport until you have 2 years in Australia, and don't want to follow the suggestion made, then good luck dealing with your MP in Britain. An MP can get a Foreign Office minister onto the case and the High Commission officials will hate that.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can make up your mind who you choose to believe. Don't assume that these forms are put together by people who understand either the rules or real world circumstances.
Sorry - I was forgetting. This is Australia, isn't it!

J
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - I was forgetting. This is Australia, isn't it!

J
I think you're misunderstanding JAJ. All he meant earlier what that this is one question that is asked several times a year and it's answered each time. I may be wrong but the Aus comment was surely irrelevant being as you're renewing a British passport.

I was getting some documents certified by a JP recently and asked this question. She had no problem with countersigning the new photo or a child's one, she just asked that a birth certificate and photo id be brought along at the same time. She said she's done lots for expats who have this problem.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:05 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

When i renewed mine and my daughters i sent the forms back to the uk to be countersigned couldnt be done with the hassle of explaining it all i wasnt in a huge hurry for them so had time to do this.

Last edited by kez81; Aug 7th 2007 at 4:07 am.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

My kids passports have ran out but rather than renewing them I am going to wait till we get citizenship next year and just get Oz ones. Just keeping fingers crossed I dont need to make a mad dash home to the UK within the next year or so xxxxxxx
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Cookster
My kids passports have ran out but rather than renewing them I am going to wait till we get citizenship next year and just get Oz ones. Just keeping fingers crossed I dont need to make a mad dash home to the UK within the next year or so xxxxxxx
Each to there own but i would feel uneasy not having valid passports like you said you could need to rush home at any time also i think its good for them to have both.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Hi,
just out of interest, why both?

Originally Posted by kez81
Each to there own but i would feel uneasy not having valid passports like you said you could need to rush home at any time also i think its good for them to have both.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:06 am

Hi,
Just incase you ever move back to uk none knows what the future holds, im expecting a baby in 2 weeks i will be getting her both an australian and British passport my choice but like i said each to there own.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:06 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi,
you should have both if you are a citizen of both countries
enter the UK on a UK passport and Australia on an Australian one
you're not going to be applying for a visitors visa if you don't need to then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.