Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsor's duties

Sponsor's duties

Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:32 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Sponsor's duties

Does anyone know what a relative who sponsors you actually has to do?

Put any money in a bond or anything?

I ask as ours is elderly and only in receipt of a pension. We'd be happy to 'put him in funds' so to speak so that there's no effect on him. But we wondered whether they ask for personal guarantees or what?

Will try and do a search as well.

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Re: Sponsor's duties

I think you'll find there is a difference between a sponsor ad an assuror. A sponsor, I believe, needs to be a relative who is Australian citizen and can verify who you are and your good name etc.

Whereas an assuror has to be able to support you for the first two years if you hit difficulties. Your assoror needs to earn, or have income of about $34,000 a year I believe.

We are using my auntie as our sponsor, she is an Australian but doesn't work and my cousin as an assuror because she does !!!!

Hope this helps

Chris
Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:48 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eintracht
I think you'll find there is a difference between a sponsor ad an assuror. A sponsor, I believe, needs to be a relative who is Australian citizen and can verify who you are and your good name etc.

Whereas an assuror has to be able to support you for the first two years if you hit difficulties. Your assoror needs to earn, or have income of about $34,000 a year I believe.

We are using my auntie as our sponsor, she is an Australian but doesn't work and my cousin as an assuror because she does !!!!

Hope this helps

Chris
Do we need to have a assurer if we can show that we have sufficient funds to support ourselves for at least two years?

Our sponsor would be an Uncle who has lived there for many many years and can vouch for our characters.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

I believe, and you may want to check this on the immigration site, that if you don't have a sponsor thats when you need to post a bond with the Australian government. Try posting your question on the Immigration site - I'm sure I've read many threads on sponsors.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:02 pm
Confused member

I believe, and you may want to check this on the immigration site, that if you don't have a sponsor thats when you need to post a bond with the Australian government. Try posting your question on the Immigration site - I'm sure I've read many threads on sponsors.
Will do, thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Do we need to have a assurer if we can show that we have sufficient funds to support ourselves for at least two years?

Our sponsor would be an Uncle who has lived there for many many years and can vouch for our characters.
As far as I am aware if the visa you are applying for requests an assurer, you have to provide one, even if you are a millionaire

The term of assurance is not always 2 years....for Contributory Parent Visa it's 10 years!!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 3:56 pm
Confused member

Originally Posted by Stewie
As far as I am aware if the visa you are applying for requests an assurer, you have to provide one, even if you are a millionaire

The term of assurance is not always 2 years....for Contributory Parent Visa it's 10 years!!
I moved this over to the Immigration forum and got more information.

I didn't realise that friends could be assurers or that the sponsor and assurer could be separate. We have a number of friends that could act as assurers in this case.

And no, we're not Millionaires .. yet
Old Sep 14th 2004, 12:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl

For skilled sponsored there is a mandatory assurance of support requirement. And mandatory means just that - no exceptions.

Same goes for many other sponsored visas like parent and remaining relative.

Some visas like spouse, have a discretionary assurance of support.

Jeremy
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:13 am
rudo1ph

If you mean the $100,000 bond, then thats a totally separate thing. We were sponsored so needed an assurer (happened to be the same person) but the bond was for the extra 5 points we needed.......although somehow we never paid it.....no one asked...shhh!!!!

Rudi