Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring parents in OZ

Sponsoring parents in OZ

Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Sponsoring parents in OZ

Hi,

I have a couple of questions and was wondering whether anyone could help. We sent off our skilled visa application form (sub class 136) early December and the credit card was debited on the 21st December. However we haven't had any acknowledgement that the Aussies have received it. I know Christmas and New Year have happened inbetween but I thought we might have had some sort of acknowledgement by now as I thought they usually e-mailed rather than sending via post?

Also both parents on both sides have expressed an interest in perhaps retiring out in Oz if we go. They both have a fair amount of money but I am not sure what the regulations would be on them being able to live there. I know that we can sponsor parents but wasn't sure whether there was a limit on how many people we can sponsor or whether if they have a certain amount of money, whether they are just let in??

Cheers

Sun
Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Sponsoring parents in OZ

Hi Sun

You could consider phoning ASPC and ask them to email confirmation of receipt of your application. When we applied we received an email with our case number and a receipt for our credit card payment.
During our application I phoned them a few times and they were always very helpful.

You need to download Booklet 3 'Parent Migration' from the DIMIA website.

http://www.dimia.gov.au/allforms/books3.htm

You can sponsor but there are limits to the number of people at any one time, hopefully the booklet will explain. You also may need to consider balance of family tests etc...
They could go on retirement visas but need loads of money for that!

I'm sure the likes of JAJ and George Lombard will reply with more specific info for you but booklet 3 is the place to start!

Good luck with your application!

Cheers

MichaelB
Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Re: Sponsoring parents in OZ

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
Hi Sun

You could consider phoning ASPC and ask them to email confirmation of receipt of your application. When we applied we received an email with our case number and a receipt for our credit card payment.
During our application I phoned them a few times and they were always very helpful.

You need to download Booklet 3 'Parent Migration' from the DIMIA website.

http://www.dimia.gov.au/allforms/books3.htm

You can sponsor but there are limits to the number of people at any one time, hopefully the booklet will explain. You also may need to consider balance of family tests etc...
They could go on retirement visas but need loads of money for that!

I'm sure the likes of JAJ and George Lombard will reply with more specific info for you but booklet 3 is the place to start!

Good luck with your application!

Cheers

MichaelB
Hi Michael,

thanks for that, that's really helpful. People are so helpful on this site. I am hoping as we pass each stage (fingers crossed) that I build up more and more knowledge that I can pass on. I will read through the booklet and see what it says. The parents may have enough to retire over there but I will need to find out how much they need to have. I shall ring Dimia and see if I can find out from them.

I'll give Dimia until the end of Jan to see if my acknowledgement arrives by then. It is just that the credit card was debited quite a while ago so I am surprised that we haven't heard anything yet.

Cheers Sun
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately for us, since neither me or the missus can stand her parents (and he's a right old skinflint), it works out at about $67000 for them to come out here on an 864 visa (about $14k of which is locked up in a bond for several years). If they are at all serious about it, and they're nearing retirement age, it might be worth starting the ball rolling now, because this sort of visa is seen (justifiably) as a low priority at DIMIA and we were told there was something like a three year waiting list, just to get the process started.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Hi,

I have a couple of questions and was wondering whether anyone could help. We sent off our skilled visa application form (sub class 136) early December and the credit card was debited on the 21st December. However we haven't had any acknowledgement that the Aussies have received it. I know Christmas and New Year have happened inbetween but I thought we might have had some sort of acknowledgement by now as I thought they usually e-mailed rather than sending via post?

Also both parents on both sides have expressed an interest in perhaps retiring out in Oz if we go. They both have a fair amount of money but I am not sure what the regulations would be on them being able to live there. I know that we can sponsor parents but wasn't sure whether there was a limit on how many people we can sponsor or whether if they have a certain amount of money, whether they are just let in??

Cheers

Sun
HI there my husband and i are going on a parent contributory visa it will cost us £27,000 and will take 6 to 9 months hopefully, the balance of children has to be right we have 2 sons one in oz one in UK good luck with your move,
Janet
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:16 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

This should help you for your parents retirment visa - the requirements have changed since I helped my parents with their retirement visa - but if you need any advice, please feel free to PM me.

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/HTML/retirement.htm

Thanks

Claire
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
HI there my husband and i are going on a parent contributory visa it will cost us £27,000 and will take 6 to 9 months hopefully, the balance of children has to be right we have 2 sons one in oz one in UK good luck with your move,
Janet
Thanks Hutch and Janet. The £27,000, is that just a payment for the visa (i.e. you lose it) or does it mean that you have to put this money away for a certain period of time as a guarantee? It seems an awful lot of money to pay for a visa. I know Hutch said that only $14,000 was held as a bond though so I suspect that the rest is for the cost of the visa?

Anyway thanks both for your info. Hutch - I am glad that it works out best for you and Janet - I hope that you really enjoy Australia and have a lovely time out there.

Thanks

Sun
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by claire edwards
This should help you for your parents retirment visa - the requirements have changed since I helped my parents with their retirement visa - but if you need any advice, please feel free to PM me.

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/HTML/retirement.htm

Thanks

Claire
Thanks Claire. I will have a look through this and PM you if there is anything extra I need to know. Cheers for this.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Thanks Hutch and Janet. The £27,000, is that just a payment for the visa (i.e. you lose it) or does it mean that you have to put this money away for a certain period of time as a guarantee? It seems an awful lot of money to pay for a visa. I know Hutch said that only $14,000 was held as a bond though so I suspect that the rest is for the cost of the visa?

Anyway thanks both for your info. Hutch - I am glad that it works out best for you and Janet - I hope that you really enjoy Australia and have a lovely time out there.

Thanks

Sun
Hello

As I understand it anyway it is not just the administrative charges that you are paying for it is a contribution towards ttheirfuture support needs, ie health costs etc. to quote

"by applying for a contributory parent visa, parents choose to make a substantially higher contribution to their future health and welfare costs"

The fee (at second stage) for the contributory parent is aud $27,850 http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/990i_booklet3.htm

The assurance of support is $10k for parent one http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/990i_aos.htm

If you go for non-contributory (and hence avoid paying the high fees) the wait is apparently 10 plus years (or so I believe)

My understanding is it is just the government trying to make people who have not contributed in the county pay themselves for their old age - I am sure if I am wrong in this Jeremy will correct me.

Regards
Abby
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sun
Hi Sun we choose to go this way as it is the fast track way we didnt want to wait 10 years, we also get pr straight away $14000 is held in a bond.
We also get medicare we are both in our early 50 and will work when we get out there the other rretirement visa means we would be restricted on how many hours we could work, we feel this is the best route for us.
Janet
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:32 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers

Sun
If you sent it by courier, you can track it on the net!
I didn't receive acknowledgement or receipt just meds request after 3 months!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Fortunately for us, since neither me or the missus can stand her parents (and he's a right old skinflint), it works out at about $67000 for them to come out here on an 864 visa (about $14k of which is locked up in a bond for several years). If they are at all serious about it, and they're nearing retirement age, it might be worth starting the ball rolling now, because this sort of visa is seen (justifiably) as a low priority at DIMIA and we were told there was something like a three year waiting list, just to get the process started.

What do you mean by "low priority" - contributory parent visas have normal processing priority and take around 12 months. However there are requirements to sponsor and act as assuror.

Non-contributory parent visas take much longer than 3 years - 15 years for an offshore parent visa is a guide.

Jeremy
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
What do you mean by "low priority" - contributory parent visas have normal processing priority and take around 12 months. However there are requirements to sponsor and act as assuror.

Non-contributory parent visas take much longer than 3 years - 15 years for an offshore parent visa is a guide.

Jeremy
Thanks Guys this gives me a good low down to go on. Also thanks Sky walker, I shall e-mail the Adelaide processing centre as I didn't send it by courier just international signed post.