Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsor question

Sponsor question

Old Oct 19th 2006, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsor question

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Thanks to everyone. I have spoken to DIMIA and Centrelink, and am able to do what I wanted to do, as people have said there is a difference between sponsor and assurer.

Between me and my wife we can do the following re our fa,ilies visas.
1, Be the assurer for my brother.
2. I can sponsor and assure my mum and dad.
3. My wife can simultaneously sponsor and assure her mum and dad.

Problem solved.

Thanks again.
Glad to hear it's all worked out!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Glad to hear it's all worked out!
Me too x
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone. I have spoken to DIMIA and Centrelink, and am able to do what I wanted to do, as people have said there is a difference between sponsor and assurer.

Remember there is a limit of two adults per assurer. You will not be able to act as assurer for your parents until the assurance over your brother has expired.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:27 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

My inlaws saw an agent in the UK yesterday and were told that in no way should they submit their forms unless their assurer (my wife,) was a taxpayer, as my wife is a very hard working Mum, she isnt a tax payer.......is this a problem....does anyone know the answer. DIMIA, Centrelink and now a UK agent have all given different answers!!!!!! The agent also said my wife or myself could only assure one couple each, yet previous contributors to this thread have said its possible to offer assurance to more than one couple simultaneously.....again anyone KNOW for definite.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My inlaws saw an agent in the UK yesterday and were told that in no way should they submit their forms unless their assurer (my wife,) was a taxpayer, as my wife is a very hard working Mum, she isnt a tax payer.......is this a problem....does anyone know the answer. DIMIA, Centrelink and now a UK agent have all given different answers!!!!!! The agent also said my wife or myself could only assure one couple each, yet previous contributors to this thread have said its possible to offer assurance to more than one couple simultaneously.....again anyone KNOW for definite.
Unless things have changed very recently, there is a definite limit of two adults per ASSURER at any one time.

Sponsorship is one thing, assurance is something else. Lots of people get confused between the two.

If planning to go for the Contributory Parent visa, there is a temporary visa available that doesn't require an assurance immediately. However if you don't convert to the permanent visa (assurance required) within 2 years, then there's a visa mess and a lot of money down the drain.

Be careful.

You might get more meaningful replies if you ask on the immigration forum, as this is really an immigration question.

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 4th 2006 at 12:34 am.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:36 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless things have changed very recently, there is a definite limit of two adults per ASSURER at any one time.

Sponsorship is one thing, assurance is something else. Lots of people get confused between the two.

If planning to go for the Contributory Parent visa, there is a temporary visa available that doesn't require an assurance immediately. However if you don't convert to the permanent visa (assurance required) within 2 years, then there's a visa mess and a lot of money down the drain.

Be careful.

You might get more meaningful replies if you ask on the immigration forum, as this is really an immigration question.
Thank you JAJ, that is basically what I was told before starting this thread, but had received so much mis-information (especially from DIMIA on the phone) that I presumed I was wrong...................obviously not.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you JAJ, that is basically what I was told before starting this thread, but had received so much mis-information (especially from DIMIA on the phone) that I presumed I was wrong...................obviously not.
JAJs info, is as I understand it, is correct.

You have also heard correct that the assurer needs to be working as they need to present the previous two years tax returns to show that they can support the person being assured, if things go wrong.

As our son, who is over 18 was on our app, we needed another assurer and one of my cousins who was going to assure him wasnt working and they also found out that they cant assure as they hadnt brought enough funds into the household for the previous two years.

If you look at the centrelink website the assurer needs to be earning a certain amount. I remember welsh tony covering this about 10months ago too with threshold breakdowns. Not too sure if there has been anything recently.

I hope this has helped with the clearer picture for you. I would take notice of what the agent and centrelink are saying, as its centrelink that give the final assessment when the assurer go for the interview.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:41 pm
Karma earned, not whored

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
JAJs info, is as I understand it, is correct.

You have also heard correct that the assurer needs to be working as they need to present the previous two years tax returns to show that they can support the person being assured, if things go wrong.

As our son, who is over 18 was on our app, we needed another assurer and one of my cousins who was going to assure him wasnt working and they also found out that they cant assure as they hadnt brought enough funds into the household for the previous two years.

If you look at the centrelink website the assurer needs to be earning a certain amount. I remember welsh tony covering this about 10months ago too with threshold breakdowns. Not too sure if there has been anything recently.

I hope this has helped with the clearer picture for you. I would take notice of what the agent and centrelink are saying, as its centrelink that give the final assessment when the assurer go for the interview.
Cheers for that, I am going to go into Centrelink tomorrow, and get this all sorted out, as you say, they are the people to speak to.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers for that, I am going to go into Centrelink tomorrow, and get this all sorted out, as you say, they are the people to speak to.
nice one...let us know how you go on.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Problem solved.

Thanks again.
Hi did they motion that you would each need to meet the taxable income figure if sponsoring separate people and that this figure increase each year
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:24 am
Karma earned, not whored

nice one...let us know how you go on.
OK here is the info straight from several horses mouths at both DIMIA and Centrelink.

1. Nobody can apply for the contributory parent visa without assurance of support (aos) even if you have ten million dollars to bring into Australia, its irrelevant. A question on all the forms, is who is supplying aos, without this you dont even get to the next question Question 1 on our forms over here at Centrelink is; what is your income, if its below $40 000 each, we dont get to question 2 either. Added to that Centrelink require TWO years proof of income from any assurer, whether that is two years books/tax returns for self-employed people, or two years worth of tax returns for waged earners.......

2. aos is mandatory for all applications on the contributory parent visa. (Permanent ones, not temporary ones) The temporary visas dont need aos, but do need aos if they are to be upgraded into permanent contributory visas down the line.

3.The ONLY way our parents can come with no aos and without bridging visas, or temporary visas is as follows. You have to apply for the Investor retirement visa (all details here; http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/spec.../405/index.htm ) If you meet all the criteria for this visa, it also permits you to do 20 hours of work a week, should you wish to do so, as well as allowing you to come and go in/out of Australia as many times as you like to wherever you like.

Another condition is you (or you and your spouse combined) must have access to a minimum net income of $ 65,000 per annum (for example, pension rights).

The one HUGE drawback is, you have to invest $750 000 in Australia, it goes into different bonds/funds and supplies a good income, equivalent to what you would receive in a bank. The money is returned to you at the end of the visa, but if you chose to renew this visa every four years, you leave the money invested.

This visa runs for 4 years and can be renewed indefinitely, meaning you could spend the rest of your lives here, on that visa. What I was recommended to do was, advise my parents to take this visa, then after four years they will be able to apply for the contributory parent visa (from here) and you can stay whilst your visa is being processed, and until the visa is granted, enabling any assurers (us) to have exhausted their assurance to other family members thus allowing us to assure further rellies. As soon as you apply for the contributory parent visa you would then be staying here on a bridging visa, with all the restrictions that come with those. i.e unable to leave the country without a good/valid excuse etc.

The good news about this visa is hardly anyone applies for it, and it is granted in a maximum of two months, it also only costs a few dollars as opposed to $ 30 000+ each. The bad news is $ 750 000 (£ 306 122 at the current exchange rate) would limit most people as to which houses they could buy/build as it would be a significant dent in their resourses, also you dont get any benefits whatsoever, so no subsidised medical care/prescriptions Medicare etc. Obviously medicals etc have to be passed in the usual way, but all the info above presumes applicants are in good health.

In addition to the above all applicants must take out private medical insurance, to cover any illness related costs.

Hope this is of help to some of you.

Last edited by CadburysFingers; Nov 7th 2006 at 4:54 am.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:29 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

OK here is the info straight from several horses mouths at both DIMIA and Centrelink.

1. Nobody can apply for the contributory parent visa without assurance of support (aos) even if you have ten million dollars to bring into Australia, its irrelevant. A question on all the forms, is who is supplying aos, without this you dont even get to the next question Question 1 on our forms over here at Centrelink is; what is your income, if its below $40 000 each, we dont get to question 2 either. Added to that Centrelink require TWO years proof of income from any assurer, whether that is two years books/tax returns for self-employed people, or two years worth of tax returns for waged earners.......

2. aos is mandatory for all applications on the contributory parent visa.

3.The ONLY way our parents can come with no aos and without bridging visas, or temporary visas is as follows. You have to apply for the Investor retirement visa (all details here; http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/spec.../405/index.htm ) If you meet all the criteria for this visa, it also permits you to do 20 hours of work a week, should you wish to do so, as well as allowing you to come and go in/out of Australia as many times as you like to wherever you like.

Another condition is you (or you and your spouse combined) must have access to a minimum net income of $ 65,000 per annum (for example, pension rights).

The one HUGE drawback is, you have to invest $750 000 in Australia, it goes into different bonds/funds and supplies a good income, equivalent to what you would receive in a bank. The money is returned to you at the end of the visa, but if you chose to renew this visa every four years, you leave the money invested.

This visa runs for 4 years and can be renewed indefinitely, meaning you could spend the rest of your lives here, on that visa. What I was recommended to do was, advise my parents to take this visa, then after four years they will be able to apply for the contributory parent visa (from here) and you can stay whilst your visa is being processed, and until the visa is granted, enabling any assurers (us) to have exhausted their assurance to other family members thus allowing us to assure further rellies. As soon as you apply for the contributory parent visa you would then be staying here on a bridging visa, with all the restrictions that come with those. i.e unable to leave the country without a good/valid excuse etc.

The good news about this visa is hardly anyone applies for it, and it is granted in a maximum of two months, it also only costs a few dollars as opposed to $ 30 000+ each. The bad news is $ 750 000 (£ 306 122 at the current exchange rate) would limit most people as to which houses they could buy/build as it would be a significant dent in their resourses, also you dont get any benefits whatsoever, so no subsidised medical care/prescriptions Medicare etc. Obviously medicals etc have to be passed in the usual way, but all the info above presumes applicants are in good health.

In addition to the above all applicants must take out private medical insurance, to cover any illness related costs.

Hope this is of help to some of you.

....blimey.......trouble is my parents dont have that sort of dosh

you say the aos is mandatory for all parents contributory visas, i thought that the temporary one didnt need an aos until it is changed to the permanent one (ie once they are over here).............or have i misread something
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

wow wee cadburys!!

so now you know.

is there a few brothers/sisters by any chance that could help you put the funds together??

it is just a thought. x

morning SB x

Last edited by CathnPaul; Nov 7th 2006 at 4:35 am.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:34 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

wow wee cadburys!!

so now you know.

is there a few brothers/sisters by any chance that could help you put the funds together??

it is just a thought. x

.....just realised, what on earth are you doing up at this ungodly hour?
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
.....just realised, what on earth are you doing up at this ungodly hour?
cant sleep. been awake since 3.30am....the suggestion i made is what my dads brothers and sisters did to top up the money for my grandparents to stay in the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.