British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sponsor question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sponsor-question-402905/)

CadburysFingers Oct 18th 2006 1:55 pm

Sponsor question

Is there a limit to the number of people you can sponosr. We currently live here, (Australia) and are sponsoring a family member who is coming out shortly. Does this preclude us from sponsoring other family members, or is there no limit to this?

Any help would be appreciated as always.

brissydeb Oct 18th 2006 7:29 pm

Re: Sponsor question

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Is there a limit to the number of people you can sponosr. We currently live here, (Australia) and are sponsoring a family member who is coming out shortly. Does this preclude us from sponsoring other family members, or is there no limit to this?

We are getting sponsored by my husbands aunt who has previously sponsored and there appears to be no problem.

CathnPaul Oct 18th 2006 8:27 pm

There are limitations on being a sponsor. You are only allowed to sponsor someone within a set timeframe (from what my family have told me) they have sponsored a few of us over and had to wait until two years was up before they could sponsor someone else. But you can do it as many times \as you want. I would have a chat with an agent to double check. But if I remember rightly our agent said something similar as one of the checks.

shiels Oct 18th 2006 10:00 pm

I think its every two years too as my OH is sponsoring me for a spouse visa and theres questions relating to who he has sponsored in the last two years in the form. C x :)

CadburysFingers Oct 18th 2006 11:16 pm

Oh dear! that could pose a problem as we have several different family members all migrating at the moment. I have scoured the DIMIA website but cant find a definitive answer on this one, does anyone have any actual links or info pages which say about the every two years thing.

Cheers

suzimc Oct 19th 2006 1:22 am

Oh dear! that could pose a problem as we have several different family members all migrating at the moment. I have scoured the DIMIA website but cant find a definitive answer on this one, does anyone have any actual links or info pages which say about the every two years thing.

Cheers

I've a feeling it's a max of 2 people every 2 years, I'm pretty confident that's what I read somewhere, quite possibly on the assurance of support request letter. I've been trying to check it out, but my email, where I think the offending document is stored, is playing up at the mo...as soon as I can get into it I will confirm.

CathnPaul Oct 19th 2006 1:24 am

Cheers

I cant i have had a look, i thought i had the actual aos pack, but i havent. I am sure it is with the covering information in the pack. If not it maybe worth contacting an agent. I hope you get the answer you are looking for.

suzimc Oct 19th 2006 1:34 am

Originally Posted by suzimc
I've a feeling it's a max of 2 people every 2 years, I'm pretty confident that's what I read somewhere, quite possibly on the assurance of support request letter. I've been trying to check it out, but my email, where I think the offending document is stored, is playing up at the mo...as soon as I can get into it I will confirm.

Okay, I found it - the form just says that an assurer can assure a maximum of two adults at any one time. It's written on a Centrelink fact sheet, I've tried to attach it but not having any success. If you want me to forward it to you just contact me.

Suzi

CathnPaul Oct 19th 2006 1:39 am

to cont....

Okay, I found it - the form just says that an assurer can assure a maximum of two adults at any one time

and the time it covers is 2years until the bond is released of course.

we got there in the end for OP between us suzi. :)

suzimc Oct 19th 2006 1:47 am

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
to cont....
and the time it covers is 2years until the bond is released of course.

we got there in the end for OP between us suzi. :)

I think that depends on the visa, e.g. for contributory parent it is a lot longer

What a good team we make ;)

CadburysFingers Oct 19th 2006 2:02 am

I think that depends on the visa, e.g. for contributory parent it is a lot longer

What a good team we make ;)

Thank you very much, you are both so kind.

Here is the scenario.

We have sponsored my brother and his wife (application currently in Adelaide, after paying the 2000 pounds for their permanent visa)
My parents want sponsoring on the contributory parental visa (currently filing all the forms, when they arrive in a couple of weeks)
My wifes parents also want the contributory parent visa (they have an appointment with an agent next month to start the process)

Are you saying that until my brother has arrived then retreived his $100 000 bond be cant sponsor anyone else???????????

suzimc Oct 19th 2006 2:09 am

Thank you very much, you are both so kind.

Here is the scenario.

We have sponsored my brother and his wife (application currently in Adelaide, after paying the 2000 pounds for their permanent visa)
My parents want sponsoring on the contributory parental visa (currently filing all the forms, when they arrive in a couple of weeks)
My wifes parents also want the contributory parent visa (they have an appointment with an agent next month to start the process)

Are you saying that until my brother has arrived then retreived his $100 000 bond be cant sponsor anyone else???????????

I think an agent could probably better answer that one, but my understanding of it is that while you are assuring your brother and his wife you cannot assure anyone else. Don't forget, assurer and sponsor aren't the same thing, and it's the sponsor that has to be family in this case - the assurer, who puts up the bond, could be someone else, if they knew someone who was willing and able. Do you want me to email the form I have? PM me your email address and I will forward it to you.

CathnPaul Oct 19th 2006 9:27 am

I think an agent could probably better answer that one, but my understanding of it is that while you are assuring your brother and his wife you cannot assure anyone else. Don't forget, assurer and sponsor aren't the same thing, and it's the sponsor that has to be family in this case - the assurer, who puts up the bond, could be someone else, if they knew someone who was willing and able. Do you want me to email the form I have? PM me your email address and I will forward it to you.

Cadbury, I have to echo what suzi is saying, it doesnt sound good news for you. But you are now using the word sponsor, are you getting the two muddled?? assurer and sponsor are two different things.

Sleeping Beauty Oct 19th 2006 11:23 am

here's our scenario.............

brother sponsored AND assured us for our visa, which has been granted and we are now living in aus.

parents want to come on contributory parent visa, which needs a sponsor and assurer. sister-in-law was going to do this, as we though that brother was tied to us for 2 years.

agent who we used has advised us that that brother can sponsor us and sister-in-law can be the assurer. it makes life easier is brother (their son) is the sponsor rather than their daughter-in-law, due to blood links etc. i queried this, and he replied back that it depends on the sponsorers position in life, ie. what he earns/where he lives/what sort of house etc. for example, if he was living in a 1 bedroomed apartment in CBD sydney, and earning about $40,000 pa, and they lived there with their child, it wouldnt be possible. because my brother lives semi-rural NSW, lives in 3 bedded house, with only 2 rooms currently being used, he can sponsor again.

does this make sense? i think i checked this out with the POPC, but i cant remember.

maybe an another agent can re-confirm what my agent told me (or i certainly bloody hope so :confused: )

CadburysFingers Oct 19th 2006 11:55 am

Thanks to everyone. I have spoken to DIMIA and Centrelink, and am able to do what I wanted to do, as people have said there is a difference between sponsor and assurer.

Between me and my wife we can do the following re our fa,ilies visas.
1, Be the assurer for my brother.
2. I can sponsor and assure my mum and dad.
3. My wife can simultaneously sponsor and assure her mum and dad.

Problem solved.

Thanks again.