Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiralling Costs!!!

Spiralling Costs!!!

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:37 pm
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold
Default Spiralling Costs!!!

We are currently waiting the result of our TRA (2 weeks, should be positive) however during this wait we have read many threads about costs etc.. and have begun to worry whether we will have enough money left to take with us. We unfortunately have very little equity in our house and as such are having second thoughts - what's the minimum? We know this is a very broad question, as our minimum won't necessarily be the same as someone else's, but we would appreciate any feedback.

Our reason for going to OZ is for a better 'quality of life' for us and our two young children.

What with the cost of selling our house, clearing credit cards, flights, shipping, and the like there will be very little left to play with.

Hoops (the Mrs) :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:53 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spiralling Costs!!!

Originally Posted by hoops
We are currently waiting the result of our TRA (2 weeks, should be positive) however during this wait we have read many threads about costs etc.. and have begun to worry whether we will have enough money left to take with us. We unfortunately have very little equity in our house and as such are having second thoughts - what's the minimum? We know this is a very broad question, as our minimum won't necessarily be the same as someone else's, but we would appreciate any feedback.

Our reason for going to OZ is for a better 'quality of life' for us and our two young children.

What with the cost of selling our house, clearing credit cards, flights, shipping, and the like there will be very little left to play with.

We will have around £15k to take to Brisbane by October - some equity from house sale (we had debts to clear too) and we have been saving loads since we sold house early and moved in with my mum (a sacrafice worth making!)

It depends if you have jobs to go to etc? We don't have jobs set up yet but feel fairly secure for a few months on our savings - we would also hope to buy a second hand car priced around £6000. It worries me that we won't have deposit money to buy a house - we are hoping that by being debt free in Australia that we will find saving money while renting easier.

Like you we put flights on credit card and then paid that off with the house sale profits. Crown the shippers were also pad from house sale.

I have heard of people moving with little more that a thousand pounds - but you really would have to live by your means - keep a positive attitude and you will be fine.

Good luck,
Lynn x
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:59 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoops

If you have very little money to take with then think about saving money on not shipping stuff etc yes it may cost you more in the long run but better to have the 3k in you hand to pay for food and bills in Aus if you cant get a job.
Try to line up jobs b4 you go may give you more options .
I would say if you have 5k or so in you hand then fine, and people have done it with less , Good luck !
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:05 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

there was a thread on here not long ago, about a family who survived going to aus with VERY little money (i think it was about £3000). they had literary a few dollars left when one of them got a job. so it can be done.

sorry i cant remember the thread, perhaps somebody can enlighten us.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 6:53 pm
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
there was a thread on here not long ago, about a family who survived going to aus with VERY little money (i think it was about £3000). they had literary a few dollars left when one of them got a job. so it can be done.

sorry i cant remember the thread, perhaps somebody can enlighten us.
A big thanks to everyone - I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one in a similar situation, really glad I asked the question.