Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders, spiders, spiders

Spiders, spiders, spiders

Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Spiders, spiders, spiders

Look, we have never had a problem with spiders in the house here.

Yet, over the last couple of days we have had to kil half a dozen, what's going on?

I came out of my bedroom this morning and came face to face with a big huntsman :scared: I had to jump past him to get the spray. I gave it to him but then he fell off the wall and started running into our bedroom :scared: Got him though

And, last nigh our son had one fall on him whilst he was in bed :scared: It freaked him out and he had to sleep with the light on.

One worried Mandy
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Spiders, spiders, spiders

Originally Posted by scrawni
Look, we have never had a problem with spiders in the house here.

Yet, over the last couple of days we have had to kil half a dozen, what's going on?

I came out of my bedroom this morning and came face to face with a big huntsman :scared: I had to jump past him to get the spray. I gave it to him but then he fell off the wall and started running into our bedroom :scared: Got him though

And, last nigh our son had one fall on him whilst he was in bed :scared: It freaked him out and he had to sleep with the light on.

One worried Mandy
Mandy you poor thing! And your son! No wonder he's freaked out! Maybe you have a nest/web of them somewhere breeding? Maybe its the weather? Never mind you'll soon be back in the UK, where there aren't as many of the freaky things X
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

maybe your house needs spraying again........as each spray lasts 3-6 months i think.....or so i have been told. having only been here 3 weeks we are still paranoid about the things.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:42 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

It happens every summer. They come into the houses to cool down a bit. I used to try and catch them with something and chuck them back outside again. They aren`t poisonous, but yeah, they look scary. They won`t bit you unless you try to grab them with your hand though anyway.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Well, we won't bother with spraying the house as we are only here for another couple of weeks.

It is scary, I hate spiders and I know that huntsmen are harmless but there is no way i want one running around my bedroom.

But, another thing that is freaking me out is what if some are hiding in our furniture etc and we take them home :scared: Anyone brought anything back with them?

Mandy
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:13 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scrawni
Well, we won't bother with spraying the house as we are only here for another couple of weeks.

It is scary, I hate spiders and I know that huntsmen are harmless but there is no way i want one running around my bedroom.

But, another thing that is freaking me out is what if some are hiding in our furniture etc and we take them home :scared: Anyone brought anything back with them?

Mandy
Mandy,
I think that they make you hand themover at Oz customs

They nomally fumigate the stuff from "dodgey palces"

Just like thay do on the plane back to the UK.

Bye
Mark
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mot heard of any hunts,en migrating north, but there are tales on the forum of white-tail spiders emerging from luggage - and they are true stories as I', one of the people its happened to.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yup, when we went to Brisbane a couple of years ago we brought back a weird looking spider, may have been a white tale. It was still alive and we found it crawling on our work surface in the utility, the day before we put some bags on it. :scared:

Mandy
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:14 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

sometime last year a lady in the UK bought some bananas at tesco and they hatched some baby huntsmen...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/3828805.stm
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy,

Did you check with the real estate agent ?
They could be the next prospective tennants sussing out the property.

Or is it that they have been in the house all the time and just want to say goodbye.

Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough

Oh my God!!!

I can sit here laughing, but I dont have a clue what I'll do when I see one (huntsman) never mind one falling on me or the kids!!!! :scared:

We previously lived in Sydney, I never saw any spiders there thankfully, but the unit we lived in had two huge 'mummy' and 'daddy' cockroaches. Every night when we put the lights off 'daddy' would come out. We tried to catch this thing with everything you could think of!!!

Eventually my hubby decided that a 'fishslice' would work chop the buggers head off!!! The fishslice was kept at the side of the bed and everynight when 'daddy cockroach came out my hubby would dive out of bed and run around the room 'fishslice' in hand trying to kill the roach!!!!

Three weeks later we got the bugger!!!! Then 'mummy roach' not long after!!!

I just hope the next tennants did'nt like 'fish'.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Didnaeseeu
I can sit here laughing, but I dont have a clue what I'll do when I see one (huntsman)
No worries on that score.

You rarely see one.......they hunt in packs of 4 or 5 :scared:
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix

I had a whitetail stuck on my windscreen wipers the other morning. The kids were almost trance like watching it go backwards and forwards
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bix

Oh wonderful!!! cant wait

But really, I have a feeling I'll be on 'prozac' if any come near me!!!!! :scared: Or maybe I should book a session with 'Paul McKenna' before I arrive!!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I was only jesting.....I hope......better bring some for me too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.