Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders, snakes and other nasties

Spiders, snakes and other nasties

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spiders, snakes and other nasties

Originally Posted by Grayling
You may see whole families walking round in their PJ's.....that is the least disturbing of some of the sights you will see

The most disturbing are those bloody waves on our endless beaches...
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Boo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really nice

Pork Ham Chicken and Lamb - get in there Jill!!!!

Classic.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
The most disturbing are those bloody waves on our endless beaches...
Did you say 'Whales' on the endless beaches?

True...I have seen a fair bit of blubber about
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

French Connection is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys you have certainly made me chuckle

the sights you see when you haven't got a gun hey!!!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

Stay in the UK, can't move down here for nasties, better to get shot or stabbed to death than risk running into a huntsman!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Is this real - i'm killing myself laughing here - OMG - The Newspaper for the people who fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!!! Gee I could have been a supermodel looking at those mugs!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

I keep having to revisit the post hahahaha - i'm crying
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:37 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Hi

When we arrived in Perth we had this idea that as soon as we stepped off the plane we would be attacked by all sorts of nasty spiders and snakes and sharks etc etc.

My husband is terrified of spiders and when we arrived at our rental there was nice huntsman spider waiting on the bbq to greet us So the first night we all slept in the same bed waiting for something to crawl onto us and were wondering what on earth we were doing in Australia! Our first walk to the beach we were on the look out for any snakes that might crawl across the path and were ready to run.

1. Find out which ones will really be dangerous (you get different ones in different bits of Oz) and what they look like. Most of them aren't that dangerous e.g. over here in Perth there's only 2 you really need to watch out for and they're quite distinctive.
2. You can put a barrier spray around the house that is supposed to keep all the creepy crawlies.
3. As well as the barrier sprays before we moved into our unfurnished rental you can buy these "bombs" which you set off inside the house and they kill anything that might be lurking around.
3. Get a spray can to kill them in case one does wander into the house (then you don't have to get too close), or you can hoover them up (we've got one of those hand held ones that I use to get any cobwebs with or squashed things that I've killed.
4. Don't stick your hand into a dark corner, shoe etc (I think someone already said this) tap out your shoes before you put them on.
5. I tell my kids that their rooms have to be tidy otherwise they'll get all sorts of insects in there - it's great and is working so far!

Most houses have fly screens over the windows and doors so it's not that easy for them to get in. It's unlikely you'd get anything in the house anyway.

We're much more relaxed about spiders etc now. You have to be otherwise you'd be panicky all day long and that just takes too much effort! My husband can actually go near spiders now and kill them. We kill any insects that dare to come into our house. We have redbacks in our garage door, and under the top of the fence panels but they won't do anything unless you disturb them so we just leave them alone. Not seen any white tail spiders yet.

We did have a bob tail lizard thing that stalked me for a while, it kept hiding under the car in the garage and hissing at me. It frightened the life out of me the first time I saw it as I thought it was a snake

Enjoy Australia you'll have a great time, the creepy crawlies are just part of life here and you'll get used to it quicker than you'd think.