Reload this Page >

Spiders, snakes and other nasties

Spiders, snakes and other nasties

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:56 am
Just Joined

French Connection is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Spiders, snakes and other nasties

Hi all

This has probably already been asked on here a thousand times, but here goes anyway -

After watching wanted down under yesterday and seeing the size of a huntsman (have seen pics on other thread today) and funnel web

I am now worrying myself senseless that we will be attacked by these nasties, I know thats exagerating it a bit.

you see not long ago whilst I was asleep I could feel something tickling my arm I awoke to find a huge spider sat on my hand so naturally I freeked shook it off but couldn't find it, went to the bathroom and found the beggar on my shoulder, now I know it sounds funny and some of you may even chuckle, but I just couldn't bare the thought of it happening again. Oh and in case you are wondering yes the hairy thing did get splattered!!!

Just how common is it to find/see huntsmans, funnel webs, redbacks, and any others that I can't think of. I am not too concerned about snakes yet, but have yet to come across one in my bed, although my oh would say different , sorry!!

I would just like some reassurance, please.

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spiders, snakes and other nasties

Please dont let this take over your life!!

i have been here a year and have seen 2 huntsmen ( they arent that scary once you are here.. honestly!) both OUTSIDE and have yet to see either a redback or a funnel web... They really dont go looking for you at night!! The lovely geckos eat the spiders and the huntsmen eat the reddies....

If you dont want to live high up on acreage then you wont cross paths with the killers that often.. If at all!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I'm right in thinking you can get your house sprayed annually to keep nasties at bay too, no?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Boo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really nice

Originally Posted by French Connection
Hi all

This has probably already been asked on here a thousand times, but here goes anyway -

After watching wanted down under yesterday and seeing the size of a huntsman (have seen pics on other thread today) and funnel web

I am now worrying myself senseless that we will be attacked by these nasties, I know thats exagerating it a bit.

you see not long ago whilst I was asleep I could feel something tickling my arm I awoke to find a huge spider sat on my hand so naturally I freeked shook it off but couldn't find it, went to the bathroom and found the beggar on my shoulder, now I know it sounds funny and some of you may even chuckle, but I just couldn't bare the thought of it happening again. Oh and in case you are wondering yes the hairy thing did get splattered!!!

Just how common is it to find/see huntsmans, funnel webs, redbacks, and any others that I can't think of. I am not too concerned about snakes yet, but have yet to come across one in my bed, although my oh would say different , sorry!!

Thanks

Hello fellow scaredee-cat!!

I have been terrified of spiders since Smelly-Elaine put a big hairy one down my back in primary one (cow!) Me and my OH are planning on moving to Central Coast NSW and I think about it constantly.....but I also know that it's something I AM going to have to del with at some point. I'll probably do all the textbook things...read up on them, do the whole phobia class at Sydney Zoo. My reaction to spiders is terrible, totally dangerous - I could be holding a baby, a ming vase - anything - it would get launched at the spider as I ran the other way!!

Lots of people are scared of spiders, and everyone is scared of something. You'll manage - don't worry. We'll do it together!!!

Boo
Xxx
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks
Don't worry about it - in 3 years I've only seen 2 huntsman spiders - one dead and one running over my wifes foot !! They can be big, but are harmless and even beneficial as they kill redbacks, roaches and other nasties. You might
not want one in the house, but in the garden they are nature's pest control.

After a while it doesn't bother you - you just remember where NOT to stick your hand without looking first. Here in Perth there aren't any funnelwebs I think, but there are redbacks - they tend to get despatched quickly.

No-one mentions the geckos, skinks and lizards - I'm forever trapping them in the house and putting them outside.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Well the geckos cant kill you!!

My son has one in the corner of his bedroom now.. I told him its eating the mini spiders in the room while he sleeps!!

once you get here yo wot worry about them anywhere near as much!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Hi

welshsarah - thanks for that, I know I am just a coward and in reality I know I won't get attacked, but they are really big

I had heard about getting your house sprayed too.

OH says he could just get a gun

Boo - you made me chuckle

Last edited by French Connection; Jan 22nd 2009 at 11:55 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

now lizards, skinks etc I can live with that!!

Isn't it strange how we fear something that is so much smaller that ourselves yet ourselves can probably do alot more damage!!!

I suppose you do get used to it in the end, mind you where we live in uk some of the sights of people are enough to finish you off
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I am terrified of spiders. I saw a redback in Perth 3 years ago. It was little and crushable under foot if necessary.

I think I would seriously wet myself if I saw a huntsman though. I left the room when the spiders were on Wanted DU yesterday!

When we move every room will be sprayed/bombed as will any pergola outside.

That is the first job to be done.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

mind you where we live in uk some of the sights of people are enough to finish you off
You will be well prepared for Queensland then
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
i take it its like uk then so we will see girls walking around in their pj's and i thought only we had the pleasure
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

i take it its like uk then so we will see girls walking around in their pj's and i thought only we had the pleasure
You may see whole families walking round in their PJ's.....that is the least disturbing of some of the sights you will see
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:12 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here 4 months, and not seen anything remotely dodgy I'm far more worried about the really really bad drivers here in Sydney than the Spiders...

I'm convinced they *are* out to get me....
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.