Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders in Australia ???

Spiders in Australia ???

Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DollyDaydream
Whilst I'm posting I have a question. On an earlier post HiddenPaw mentioned about huntsmen walking across the windscreen of your car. There have been other posts in the past that mention this but has anyone actually had that happen to them?
D D
yes - it's happened to me 3 times. Once I was driving at night down the Sturt Highway and my sister calmy asked me to pull over...I had no idea why...and then I saw it - she had spotted it crawling out from under the sun visor...huge huntsman. Thank goodness I hadn't seen it before stopping otherwise I don't know what might have happened.

second time was a huntsman again, crawling acroos the inside of the windscreen at my sister's - fortunately I was just parked up outside the shop so I jumped out and got in the back seat until she came out of the shop - LOL

3rd time it was in a car we had borrowed and whilst going down the freeway I turned to talk to my husband who was driving - I spotted a big whitetail (big by whitetail standards!) walking across the inside of the driver's window...that freaked me more than the huntsman even tho it was so much smaller.

I used to check under the sun visor before I got into the car, rather than pull the visor down while I was in the car in case one fell down into my lap!!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Not while I was driving, but once I piled the kids in the car, did their seat belts up and they both started whimpering.

They were too terrified to talk, one eventually pointed to a spider as big as my hand on the inside of the window right next to him - huge body, and thick legs. They were still trembling an hour later.

I was told they often come in the car when it is really dry outside; the car interior is moist and warm.

I'll be checking the visors from now on too.

Queenie

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
yes - it's happened to me 3 times. Once I was driving at night down the Sturt Highway and my sister calmy asked me to pull over...I had no idea why...and then I saw it - she had spotted it crawling out from under the sun visor...huge huntsman. Thank goodness I hadn't seen it before stopping otherwise I don't know what might have happened.

second time was a huntsman again, crawling acroos the inside of the windscreen at my sister's - fortunately I was just parked up outside the shop so I jumped out and got in the back seat until she came out of the shop - LOL

3rd time it was in a car we had borrowed and whilst going down the freeway I turned to talk to my husband who was driving - I spotted a big whitetail (big by whitetail standards!) walking across the inside of the driver's window...that freaked me more than the huntsman even tho it was so much smaller.

I used to check under the sun visor before I got into the car, rather than pull the visor down while I was in the car in case one fell down into my lap!!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 9:10 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Little bastards.....isnt there ANY way to keep the evil things out of the car....how the hell do they get in if the windows are closed?? IM SCARED!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 11:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
LOL, I do that every day!!!
Old Aug 1st 2004, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

belair22 is an unknown quantity at this point

The fear of Spiders is a primal thing dating back thousands of years and embedded in human nature - why else are the majority of people are scared of spiders even though there's more chance of being killed by a bolt of lightening than being killed by a spider (same goes for snakes).

My tips for 'avoiding' spiders:

1) If you park your car near any kind of garden in summer (99% of the time for anyone living in Aus) make sure you close all your windows - especially at night when spiders look for shelter.

2) If you must leave house windows open which are close to trees/gardens then make sure you spray the window area with products that are tocix to spiders (can buy them at most supermarkets). They really do work.

3) Spiders are more scared of you - ignore them and they'll go away. The only time I've had a spider crawl on me was when I was trying to kill it and it hid under a chair leg - all of a sudden it started crawling up my leg when I couldn't find it - if I had of left it alone it wouldn't have caused any problem.

4) YOU WILL NOT DIE FROM A SPIDER BITE.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 4:10 pm
togooff&things

Originally posted by belair22

4) YOU WILL NOT DIE FROM A SPIDER BITE.
You say that like anyone afraid of spiders has controll over their irrationability (big word - can't spell it !) It's not fear of death - - -it's fear of one scuttling up yer skirt or above you in bed at night, or tickling your big toe. I took my kids today to the Butterfly Farm and we all handled Tarantulas and snakes, just to get used to them. I'll be fine as long as all the spiders are slow and fluffy with nice red knees - and not big, spindely, fast, scuttley, black/ grey things with pointy nointies!

Old Aug 1st 2004, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Even more than the spiders, I have a morbid fear of the cobwebs!!

One night while living in Brisbane, years ago...I was coming home from the pub and had to go in the back way(was the only key I had on me at the time)....Took the side path up the side of the house...took one step through the side gate and BOOM...face first into a golden orb web....I totally freaked out!...flew up to the back yard, purse, smokes, keys and shoes(I had been carrying them) all flew about 100 foot into the air and here was me hopping around the back yard screaming and trying to get the cobweb off me...

Quite a sight, I am sure....

Old Aug 1st 2004, 4:32 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hels
Even more than the spiders, I have a morbid fear of the cobwebs!!

One night while living in Brisbane, years ago...I was coming home from the pub and had to go in the back way(was the only key I had on me at the time)....Took the side path up the side of the house...took one step through the side gate and BOOM...face first into a golden orb web....I totally freaked out!...flew up to the back yard, purse, smokes, keys and shoes(I had been carrying them) all flew about 100 foot into the air and here was me hopping around the back yard screaming and trying to get the cobweb off me...

Quite a sight, I am sure....

It just keeps getting better....... :scared: :scared:

D D
Old Aug 1st 2004, 8:20 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice
Default This is not in Oz but....

Well, just found these beauties...although its in America,

Brown Recluse Spiderzzzzz

Follow the pages from week to week..

nasty piccies, so be warned

Andy
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Andy, if i were a moderator of this forum i'd ban your arse for posting such a terrifying article

Paul.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Yuk, I for one shall be keeping me strides on at all times.......nah, make that an airconditioned space suit.:scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:54 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer
Danny Kingsley
ABC Science Online
Tuesday, 19 August 2003

Innocent: a white-tail spider (Medical Journal of Australia)
The white-tail spider, whose bite has been blamed for cases of flesh-eating ulcers for decades, has been declared innocent following methodical Australian research.

Not one of the 130 white-tail spider bite cases in the study, the first of its type ever conducted, had any evidence of necrotising of the skin, researchers report in this week's Medical Journal of Australia - a publication that was which was itself partly responsible for the original accusation.