Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding ticket South Australia

Wikiposts

Speeding ticket South Australia

Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding ticket South Australia

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you can get way with it, don't pay. Traffic cops are revenue collectors for the state government - nothing more, nothing less.

Wankers.
Agreed - that's why they do nothing to police tailgating, middle lane hoggers and any number of other crap driving things you see here.

There's no revenue in it for them.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Agreed - that's why they do nothing to police tailgating, middle lane hoggers and any number of other crap driving things you see here.

Exactly - they are tax collectors for the state government.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

joej23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the useful replies.
I don't understand how it would show up if I tried to re-enter the country as I only showed them my driving licence and not my passport so all they have is my name really.
I guess I will have to think about if I will be coming back to Australia at all in the future which will determine whether I pay the fine or not.
The ticket was bullshit anyway, the road was in the middle of the desert, straight for miles and with no other cars around.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joej23
I don't understand how it would show up if I tried to re-enter the country as I only showed them my driving licence and not my passport so all they have is my name really.
I guess I will have to think about if I will be coming back to Australia at all in the future which will determine whether I pay the fine or not.
The ticket was bullshit anyway, the road was in the middle of the desert, straight for miles and with no other cars around.
They only need your name mate, police/customs/immigration all have access to the same database Police can get all the info they need off your driving licence and this then goes into a far larger database, accessed by many government agencies...as i stated earlier - immigration work closely with Police.

Understand your frustration though with a crappy ticket like that
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger

There are hundreds of traffic infringement tickets, including follow too close and fail to keep left, don't be so naive as to think these types of driving behaviours are ignored...

Also, you are entitled to your opinion but do not forget the primary role of traffic Police is to reduce the road death toll (and traffic cops are often the first at the scene of horrific fatals T/A's) which is bloody high in Aus

They do this by correcting poor driving behaviour with fines WHEN they see someone driving outside of the road rules guidelines - including speeding amongst many other things...
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Back in 2001, I went into NSW RTA after buying a car, but only had a UK licence, they checked my residence from that by logging into immigration and confirmed the date I had last arrived, and my status.

My best guess, is that the inter department linking is now even more sophisticated.

Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:14 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am currently 2 months through a year long working visa in Australia.
Several days ago I was stopped by police in South Australia for doing 135 in a 110kph area and given a $330 fine. They checked my UK licence and I gave them an address in NSW where I had been staying with friends.
Some people I have spoken to say there is no point in paying the fine as long as I don't go back to SA, and they will not be able to suspend my UK licence. Is this true?
Also, I was wondering if not paying the fine would have any implications on re-entering Australia in the future?

Cheers,
Joe
If you want to come back then I would pay it, you broke the speed limit by a considerable amount, so should expect nothing less.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Single vehicle rollovers account for a large proportion of road fatalities in this country, especially in outback and "desert" areas. So the only life the copper was trying to save by sitting there in the middle of nowhere was yours.

"No other cars for miles around" ???

I do assure you that there was at least one....Probably very brightly coloured with lots of chrome and bright flashing lights on top. If you think back, you will probably recall it "appearing from nowhere" in your rear view mirror.

If your outback driving skills are so poor that you couldn't see a bloody cop car, how the hell do you expect to see the dust coloured kangaroo, camel or cow by the side of the highway. Just waiting to wander onto the road and turn you into just another statistic ?

My advice is for you not to pay the fine, get yerself a 'record' in this country to prevent you returning, and spend the rest of your homicidal driving career back in pommyland.

Far away from 'revenue raising' Australian cops.....and also, thankfully, myself and my loved ones.

Have a safe trip back.

Last edited by Hino; Feb 19th 2010 at 3:13 pm. Reason: Because...
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I know we all believe in different things and have different attitudes to things or events but most of the time I can kind of get my head round why someone has the opinion they do. However if someone breaks the law and admits they've broken the law then I honestly can't understand why they wouldn't accept the consequences

OK so loads of you and more in 'real life' believe that the police are just running a money making scheme and the speed limits are wrong, that's fine, that's your right but the fact is that they are the rules and as residents/citizens of the country we have to abide by them and if we break them and get fined/penalised/convicted etc etc then that's what we have to accept.

Probably sounds patronising or sanctimonious to some but hey, that's life, it's just my opinion, not expecting anyone to take any notice of it.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:34 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

i agree, speed kills and the comedown is awful.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is a questioin on the majority of vsa application forms about whether you owe a monetary debt of any kind to Australia. A couple of posters on here have had fines listed against them, and have had to clear those before they were able to proceed with the application. Be warned if you ever intend to migrate here.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hino
Single vehicle rollovers account for a large proportion of road fatalities in this country, especially in outback and "desert" areas. So the only life the copper was trying to save by sitting there in the middle of nowhere was yours.

"No other cars for miles around" ???

I do assure you that there was at least one....Probably very brightly coloured with lots of chrome and bright flashing lights on top. If you think back, you will probably recall it "appearing from nowhere" in your rear view mirror.

If your outback driving skills are so poor that you couldn't see a bloody cop car, how the hell do you expect to see the dust coloured kangaroo, camel or cow by the side of the highway. Just waiting to wander onto the road and turn you into just another statistic ?

My advice is for you not to pay the fine, get yerself a 'record' in this country to prevent you returning, and spend the rest of your homicidal driving career back in pommyland.

Far away from 'revenue raising' Australian cops.....and also, thankfully, myself and my loved ones.

Have a safe trip back.
I would not roll my car over in the outback because I actually know how to drive, only an idiot would manage that.
Plus the police car wasn't behind me, don't assume things you know nothing about. They came from in front of me, over a hill, and got me on radar, so I had next to no time to react. Plus the car was not brightly coloured at all, and why would the lights be flashing as they drive down the road if they are not responding to an incident?
I'm probably not going to pay the fine, if that means I can't return then so be it, I can live with that.
Also, I never said the cops here were 'revenue raising' so please don't quote me on that.
In future, only respond to posts if you have something useful to say.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not roll my car over in the outback because I actually know how to drive, only an idiot would manage that.
Nonsense, going at speed, a small rock or animal in the road could cause a swerve ending up in a roll. Nothing to do with being an idiot or not.

They came from in front of me, over a hill
Kind of lucky that it wasn't a broken down car on your side of the highway over this hill then, wasn't it, if you had no time to react?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Nonsense, going at speed, a small rock or animal in the road could cause a swerve ending up in a roll. Nothing to do with being an idiot or not.

Kind of lucky that it wasn't a broken down car on your side of the highway over this hill then, wasn't it, if you had no time to react?
Swerve maybe, roll unlikely unless the driver has no clue.

Going at 125kph rather than 110kph will make little difference in this case.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Swerve maybe, roll unlikely unless the driver has no clue.

Going at 125kph rather than 110kph will make little difference in this case.
At the beginning of the thread it was 135kph.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.