Reload this Page >

Speeding ticket South Australia

Speeding ticket South Australia

Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:51 am
Just Joined

joej23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Speeding ticket South Australia

Hi,

I am currently 2 months through a year long working visa in Australia.
Several days ago I was stopped by police in South Australia for doing 135 in a 110kph area and given a $330 fine. They checked my UK licence and I gave them an address in NSW where I had been staying with friends.
Some people I have spoken to say there is no point in paying the fine as long as I don't go back to SA, and they will not be able to suspend my UK licence. Is this true?
Also, I was wondering if not paying the fine would have any implications on re-entering Australia in the future?

Cheers,
Joe
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding ticket South Australia

Originally Posted by joej23
Hi,

Several days ago I was stopped by police in South Australia for doing 135 in a 110kph area and given a $330 fine. They checked my UK licence and I gave them an address in NSW where I had been staying with friends.
Some people I have spoken to say there is no point in paying the fine as long as I don't go back to SA, and they will not be able to suspend my UK licence. Is this true?
Also, I was wondering if not paying the fine would have any implications on re-entering Australia in the future?

Cheers,
Joe
No judgement but can I ask why you wouldn't pay a fine like that? I couldn't not pay it but that's just me. Just interested in how you make the decision not to and why?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:03 am
Just Joined

joej23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No judgement but can I ask why you wouldn't pay a fine like that? I couldn't not pay it but that's just me. Just interested in how you make the decision not to and why?

If there are no significant negative consequences, why would I pay the fine? I don't have $330 spare anyhow.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

My wonderful labourer has had 4 speeding fines (12 points) in my car and has assured me that it doesnt go on his uk license and so he doesn't care. Apparently over the last couple of years he has had quite a few (he has slowed down now after that week)

He had more in fines than wages, and he had to pay them because I paid them before I paid him
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If there are no significant negative consequences, why would I pay the fine? I don't have $330 spare anyhow.
OK each to his (or her) own. I think you'll get a few different answers to be honest, whether any of them will be factual is another matter
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I have to say, if I were just on holiday, I wouldnt either - like whats the point?

I would if I were in someone elses car
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

if you ever plan on coming back to the country then yes pay it as you will never know when not paying may come back to bite you.

If you are never planning on coming back then it is up to you and your conscience.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:00 am
ABCDiamond

Cheers,
Joe
In the past they did not add this info to the Australian records, so many people did not pay and had no consequences.

However, these days anything on an overseas licence is recorded and held by each state, and actioned if needed, if ever that licence is transferred to a State licence.

And now with talk of a national licence, or at least the States sharing info, this may become a problem in the future in any State in Australia, if you wish to exchange your licence for any Australian one. You could always take the full driving tests again though to get around it.

There may be penalties for non payment + interest on unpaid fines. The interest rates currently charged by some government departments on unpaid things like this are about 19%.

You pay or not pay and take your chances.

I did read this on another site: "Once you apply for a visa they may say no because of the unpaid fines or secondly you may get pulled up at Australian immigration and sent home for the unpaid fines" whether true or not I have real idea.

Do not expect any demerit points to go away though. Here in QLD the demerit points are added to your record after the fine has been paid.

Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:04 am
ABCDiamond

They cannot suspend your UK licence but they can suspend your driving privileges in this country, on that licence. Your insurance then becomes invalid.

eg: For QLD
When would my authority to drive in Queensland on my foreign driver licence be suspended?

Your authority to drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence will be suspended if you have:
  • not paid any fines imposed on you by a court
  • accumulated an excess number of demerit points on your traffic history
  • been convicted of driving at more than 40 kilometres per hour over the speed limit

Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

I will have to show that to Chris - he is probably banned 10 times over
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers,
Joe
If you can get way with it, don't pay. Traffic cops are revenue collectors for the state government - nothing more, nothing less.

Wankers.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I'm with Moneypenny on this one.I know this is obvious,but they have speed limits for a reason.too many people in Oz that I know of(mainly younger people)have lost their lives through driving too fast.Its too easy in Australia to put your foot down,open roads,lack of traffic,but its all too easy to mid judge a bend or whatever and before you know it,you're heading straight for a gum tree.I personally think you should take responsibility and pay the fine.Yes its alot of money I admit,but its better than being dead is'nt it?Look at it this way,the cops are doing you (and other drivers you might of hit)a favour.Look at it as a warning.Be an adult and pay up I say!
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:17 pm
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Not sure about SA but definitely here in QLD you don't need to pay the full amount in one payment if it's over $150, you have the option to pay $60 within the 28 days then you get sent out a payment plan for the rest, helping to make it more affordable! Possible it's different where you are but if it's not then not having the cash spare doesn't wash imo.

we've just got 3 in the last 3 weeks , a grand total of $830 that we certainly don't have but we just have to do without elsewhere til they're paid.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:55 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers,
Joe
The address you gave them in NSW will be come the focal point for any further litigation, ......you pay or your mates pay ...mm
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers,
Joe
Hi Joe,

If you want to permanently settle in Aus at any point in the future you should pay it as non-payment will eventually turn into court action against you.

You will then be flagged as 'wanted' under warrant on SA Police database.

So, if you apply for a visa at any point and they do the criminal history check (which they do, i can assure you) it won't be looking too good for you will it?

Good luck and think hard - you could regret not paying that $330?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.