Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding fine while in Brisbane ?

Speeding fine while in Brisbane ?

Old Jun 19th 2004, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speeding fine while in Brisbane ?

Nightmare!!

Hi there, I have been informed by the hire company that while I was over in May I was caught speeding in the hire car, just wondering what happens over the points, do I have have to pay a higher fine cos I have an english licence or do I just pay the fine and they transfer the points?

I hope it is the former ,I can't really afford points on my licence over here cos I have a few already

More importantly, will it affect my Visa application ?

:scared: :scared:

Last edited by Dicko; Jun 19th 2004 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 12:12 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Speeding fine while in Brisbane ?

Originally posted by Dicko
Nightmare!!

Hi there, I have been informed by my the hire company that while I was over in May I was caught speeding in the hire car, just wondering what happens over the points, do I have have to pay a higher fine cos I have an english licence or do I just pay the fine and they transfer the points?

I hope it is the former ,I can't really afford points on my licence over here cos I have a few already

It may affect your visa application if you don't pay the Australian fine and it ends up going to a warrant.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
It may affect your visa application if you don't pay the Australian fine and it ends up going to a warrant.

I don't mind paying the fine at all, it's just I could really do without the points
Old Jun 19th 2004, 12:26 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I don't mind paying the fine at all, it's just I could really do without the points
You know that song about love and marriage, don't you? Fine = points in Australia.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 1:00 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Nightmare!!

Hi there, I have been informed by the hire company that while I was over in May I was caught speeding in the hire car, just wondering what happens over the points, do I have have to pay a higher fine cos I have an english licence or do I just pay the fine and they transfer the points?

Hi

Pay it now or pay for it later!!

Inded they may put a warrant out for your arrest.

Can you imagine if you got your visa application rejected because of a few poxy penalty points?

Now that would be a real NIGHTMARE!!

Good luck
Walla
Old Jun 19th 2004, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by walla1
Hi

Pay it now or pay for it later!!

Inded they may put a warrant out for your arrest.

Can you imagine if you got your visa application rejected because of a few poxy penalty points?

Now that would be a real NIGHTMARE!!

Good luck
Walla

Can I just get one thing straight with people I have no intention of not paying the fine!

I was just asking what happens to the points, as I thought it would be a bit strange for another country to put points on a licence not obtained in said country.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

I was caught speeding in January in Brisbane while on holiday. Simply sent a foreign draft from my bank (i think it was for $100). you need to provide your UK licence number, but pay the fine and that is the end of it. The only thing I didn;t find out was if the potential points were kept on file and added to your Aus license if ever you got one?

14 years driving and NEVER been caught speeding then I get caught on a 3 week holiday (although to be fair the guy was hiding in a bush!!!)

Nightmare!!

Old Jun 19th 2004, 4:38 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

although to be fair the guy was hiding in a bush!!!)

i know the guy and the bush your talking about. does he not have a home?
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

When I hired a car in oz I had to give my Visa card number(as in Barclaycard ,mastercard- not OZ visa!)
if I did get caught speeding the car hire company would have then paid it automatically-
Just pay up quickly and you might get away without points being taken off as you were officially on holiday.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Just pay the normal fine and you will be OK. They won't put points onto your foreign licience as every country has different rules and penalties and it would be a nightmare to administer.

Also they don't save up the points for your Oz licience as that would be an admin nightmare too.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Just pay the normal fine and you will be OK. They won't put points onto your foreign licience as every country has different rules and penalties and it would be a nightmare to administer.

Also they don't save up the points for your Oz licience as that would be an admin nightmare too.
I agree 100% with Kiwipaul

I had a couple of speeding tickets before I got my OZ licence, and no points were transferred