Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spectacles - Cheaper in Oz or UK?

Spectacles - Cheaper in Oz or UK?

Old Oct 1st 2004, 4:33 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default Spectacles - Cheaper in Oz or UK?

I need to buy a new pair of glasses and was wondering whether to get them in the UK or wait till I get to Brisbane in November.

Can anyone comment on whether spectacles are cheaper in Oz or UK. Plus do you get any kind of subsidy from Medicare or medical insurer to cover part of the cost or do you have to pay for all of it privately?

Thanks for your help

GLR
Old Oct 1st 2004, 8:18 pm
At last! We're here!!!

alison_g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spectacles - Cheaper in Oz or UK?

[QUOTE=GLR]I need to buy a new pair of glasses and was wondering whether to get them in the UK or wait till I get to Brisbane in November.

Can anyone comment on whether spectacles are cheaper in Oz or UK. Plus do you get any kind of subsidy from Medicare or medical insurer to cover part of the cost or do you have to pay for all of it privately?

Thanks for your help

GLR

Can't answer if they are cheaper in Oz... However, I noticed last year on our way through via Singapore, that if you take your perscription with you, they do them in an hour at Singapore airport!!!!!! glasses are certainly cheaper there and designer makes too!!!! worth a thought. I'm going to get a spare pair there.
Ali
Old Oct 1st 2004, 9:05 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GLR
I need to buy a new pair of glasses and was wondering whether to get them in the UK or wait till I get to Brisbane in November.

Thanks for your help

GLR
I waited 'til we got here.....wished I'd just got them there. I guess it depends where you get your specs from. I used SpecSavers.....definitely cheaper than here. $450 for my single vision specs with frame and scratch proof stuff on the lens. :scared:
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:42 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

get them before u come
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
get them before u come
Just had first eye test for years and need reading glasses.
Also gave me a letter for docs to get a second opinion as he thinks I may have glucoma. No time for that so shall perhaps follow it up when I get to Aus.
Anybody had it before or know what it is ?
Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:59 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
I waited 'til we got here.....wished I'd just got them there. I guess it depends where you get your specs from. I used SpecSavers.....definitely cheaper than here. $450 for my single vision specs with frame and scratch proof stuff on the lens. :scared:
I paid £180 for single vision with scratch-proof stuff (from Specsavers) which is about $450. They are supposed to be designer frames mind you.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

You can get a FREE medicare FULL eye test once every two years.

A pair of specs, designer label, with variable lens and all the coatings, anti-glare etc, cost about $600.

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 12:02 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Well the test on your eyes is covered by medicare.... how much are specs well that depends on the frame you choose, you can get cheap ones and bloody expensive ones
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 12:39 am
ABCDiamond

Here's an idea of cost without the frames.

Replace two bi-focal lenses in existing frame $177.00

Replace single bi-focal lenses in existing frame $113.00

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:37 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Bix
Just had first eye test for years and need reading glasses.
Also gave me a letter for docs to get a second opinion as he thinks I may have glucoma. No time for that so shall perhaps follow it up when I get to Aus.
Anybody had it before or know what it is ?
Bix........you might want to read this http://www.glaucoma.org/learn/

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:39 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally Posted by GLR

Thanks for your help

GLR
Stop over in Kuala Lumpur, specs are about a quarter of the price

jib