Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Southport and Labrador good areas?

Are Southport and Labrador good areas?

Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:07 pm
Claireg

claireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are Southport and Labrador good areas?

Hi Tree frog

Me OH and daughter (5) are looking to move to upper coomera / nerang. What schools do your kids go to and what are they like?

My head is spinning with areas to live and schools! She goes to a catholic school here and its ofstead report is excellent so ideally we would like to get her into the same over there.

Thanks
Claire
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Tree Frog is on a distinguished road

Oh I just switch off when I drive down Foxwell Road, which is everyday...lol...and I dont stick to the speed limit...sorry, but 60 on that road is ridiculous!

Claire I have wrote about the school in another post but cant remember where...lol....they go to Upper Coomera State College. They were in a private school in Adelaide, and as I said in the other post Lukes small learning problem was picked up really quickly here but over looked in the private school. They love their school aswell, I never have any problems with them not wanting to go.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

peast01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
Robina also had a nice throat slicing last year, a mental patient was out on rehab day and let loose nad sliced a womans throat in K-Mart......happens everywhere...

All areas have their good and bad parts. I live in Coomera Waters, very nice to look at, shite to live in! You cant breathe! We have a marina, its a water estate yet we can not park our boat on the drive, we have to pay a guy up the road to store it for us! They go mad if the lawn isnt mowed real flat, if your bin is left out too many days.,..its shocking!

My mate lives at Upper Coomera, she has had no bother there, really likes it. My kids go to then school up there. But I have heard about a person in bed and someone was trying to get into her roof!

But we lived in Andrews Farm in South Australia, built our house. We were burgled 5 times inside the house and twice in the garden. We backed on to a reserve, so probably asking for trouble. But the biggest crime area in Adelaide was Golden Grove, the big posh area, half million dollar homes. It was the highest crime cos burglars apparently thought people were at work all day, makes sense eh?

So like I say there is crime everywhere.
Hi there

I was reading through the posts and have a question, we also live at coomera waters and im looking at buying a boat, the problem is the garage is already full with two cars and my motorbike, am i not even aloud to keep my boat on the driveway.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Fraid not. We had ours on the drive for a week or so whilst we were polishing etc to sell it and we got a letter telling us it has to be garaged or behind the fenceline. Our new boat is too big for the garage so we have to pay to store it at a house up Foxwell Road, opposite Divine Homes, $30 a week.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:51 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Looking to move up to the GC next year and have been looking at rentals. Seems to be some decent priced houses around these areas. Are they decent enough to live? BTW we will be coming up for a look next month at a few areas. But thought i'd ask about these first.
We're classed as Southport,right where it meets Ashmore and Benowa,its lovely here,and the furthest point away from the Southport - Labrador end which looks a bit shady.
If you like going out then this area is less than 10 min taxi to Surfers too.
Some of the places in Ashmore are nice and Benowa looks that bit better again.
Everywheres good and bad,personally id stay away from Labrador and Nerang and some parts of Southport too.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:57 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you have your boat in the driveway? Is it the body corp who says you can't? Do you live in a complex?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:14 am
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold

Where would you recommend?
Pacific Pines
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:17 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by connollys.home
Pacific Pines

Anywhere else?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:20 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere else?
We have lived and owned a retail business (newsagency) in Carrara for a year. If you look at a map of the Gold Coast Carrara is more or less in the centre - we are only 5 minutes drive to the beach at Broadbeach (although we prefer Nobby Beach), there are 5 golf courses in a 1km radius of our house (including Royal Pines), and Carrara stadium is a five minute walk away.
Very close to us is Emerald Lakes - a huge residential development which has many rentals in it's various estates. www.emeraldlakes.com.au Rentals are also available in the 7 gated complexes on the Palm Meadows Estate.
The cross section of people in Carrara has surprised us as in our shop (which is in the Coco's centre opposite Carrara Markets) we usually have 5 -600 customers a day ranging from owners of 12 bedroom mansions on the water to residents of a caravan park just opposite Emerald Lakes who seem to have enough money for Lotto and cigarettes but not for soap!
Carrara does not get much of a mention on BE but you could do a lot worse than to check it out.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you have your boat in the driveway? Is it the body corp who says you can't? Do you live in a complex?
A lot of the new housing estates impose strict covenants, and I'm afraid that this is one of them, even where we are at Jacbos Ridge, boats have to be either garaged or behind the fence.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Yes its a body corporate ruling. Coomera waters isnt a complex its a housing estate and has a big marina in it. You cant even pump around here without getting a letter...
Old Jun 18th 2007, 1:28 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
Yes its a body corporate ruling. Coomera waters isnt a complex its a housing estate and has a big marina in it. You cant even pump around here without getting a letter...

How much do you pay body corp? I've seen ones at $18 to $57. I have also some with no body corp fees. So lets say you bought a house for a decent price. You will have to keep paying BC even although you own the house?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 1:33 am
Just Joined

We only rent down here, so the owners pay the body corporate. Last I heard it was about $90 a week, that also pays for the security company that drives around. I wouldnt buy a house here, couldnt afford it anyhow!...lol...the cheapest are just under half a million and yes everyone has to pay the BC.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Pacific Pines is nice, not to far from the beach, really quick to get on the highway.

Probably should not comment as I am going back to the UK but I have liked living in Pac Pines and would recommend the Primary school. I know of a couple that go to the High school and one likes it the other doesnt. Depends on the child I reckon and if they like school it helps.

Helensvale shopping centre 5 mins away which has everything you need.....except argos!! lol

Nice parks and play area for the kids and the Tavern is only a walk away for most. Actually you dont have to leave Pac Pines because it has everything you need here.

We live on a complex and its not like a proper complex with gates but it has a pool and bbq area to share. No fees except for rent.

LibbyX
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:16 am
Freedom!

Well i'll be up there next month for a look. Just trying to narrow it down to a few areas.