Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Southport and Labrador good areas?

Are Southport and Labrador good areas?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:02 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Southport and Labrador good areas?

Looking to move up to the GC next year and have been looking at rentals. Seems to be some decent priced houses around these areas. Are they decent enough to live? BTW we will be coming up for a look next month at a few areas. But thought i'd ask about these first.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are Southport and Labrador good areas?

Some parts are nice and some are not as nice , so try to pick the good ones . Quill
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:37 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Where the 2 meet is a bit dodgy.

I stayed around the corner on Marine Parade and also go to school in Southport and personally I think it's one of the lesser desirable parts of the Gold Coast.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Hi

I would say no to Labrador and some parts of Southport, it has a lot of cheap end accommodation for tourist and a lot of cheap end rentals so attracts some undesirables, try inland a bit more.

Jane
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:12 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee/jane
Hi

I would say no to Labrador and some parts of Southport, it has a lot of cheap end accommodation for tourist and a lot of cheap end rentals so attracts some undesirables, try inland a bit more.

Jane
Where would you recommend?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:38 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Where would you recommend?
Anyone?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Anyone?
What are you looking for, how close to the beach do you want to be? ... etc etc
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee/jane
Hi

Jane
It's a personal choice thing though. They are only undesirable in so much as they are not overall as nice as other areas but there are plenty of very nice people who love the suburbs and they give them everything they want.

It's a suck it and see situation. Both suburbs might be exactly what the OP is looking for.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:59 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's a personal choice thing though. They are only undesirable in so much as they are not overall as nice as other areas but there are plenty of very nice people who love the suburbs and they give them everything they want.

It's a suck it and see situation. Both suburbs might be exactly what the OP is looking for.
yep i agree, on our reccie last week we asked some estate agents about areas and a couple suggested that Labrodor had a bad reputation but they though it was an up and coming area - mind you they do want to sell houses
we drove round it at various times of the day and it looked OK - but thats not living there.
to be honest when we checked realestate.com i didn't think it was incredibly cheap, the lower end consists of mainly townhouses which seem to be cheaper in most areas anyway
nice and close to broadwater tho
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:05 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

look further inland,

Pacific Pines, nerang, helensvale,

Sanctuary cove, coomera waters etc.

Loads to pick from..
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mancity
look further inland
Yeah this is why I asked how far from beach they want etc etc

To be honest we spent 3 weeks staying at Marine Parade Southport and I used to visit the internet cafe there and there was some right characters in and out all the time. Laptops for sale, all kinds of stuff being bought from under the counter etc

The cafe got shut down a few months back and the owner is no longer a free man.

I went to the 'open till 9pm' chemist a few times in the eve and couldn't believe how many people came in for their daily methadone hit in the space of a 10 min wait! ...

Ok, druggies ARE everywhere, but it appears to me that they 'hang' in the Labrador area.

Government Road looks lovely too!

Horses for courses and as others say suck and see! ... but personally I'd not touch it for a while.

There's a LOT of development happening but it'll take a while to turn it around I reckon.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:52 am
Freedom!

A few places i was told about. Merrimac, Nerang , Robina and a few others. Just trying to get a feel for what people think of certain areas.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

A few places i was told about. Merrimac, Nerang , Robina and a few others. Just trying to get a feel for what people think of certain areas.
Nerang is supposed to be rough, altho there was a recent killing there which got a bit of news as the parent is a millionaire or sommit or other.

Robina has a nice town centre!

Full of info me eh! ...
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Tree Frog is on a distinguished road

Robina also had a nice throat slicing last year, a mental patient was out on rehab day and let loose nad sliced a womans throat in K-Mart......happens everywhere...

All areas have their good and bad parts. I live in Coomera Waters, very nice to look at, shite to live in! You cant breathe! We have a marina, its a water estate yet we can not park our boat on the drive, we have to pay a guy up the road to store it for us! They go mad if the lawn isnt mowed real flat, if your bin is left out too many days.,..its shocking!

My mate lives at Upper Coomera, she has had no bother there, really likes it. My kids go to then school up there. But I have heard about a person in bed and someone was trying to get into her roof!

But we lived in Andrews Farm in South Australia, built our house. We were burgled 5 times inside the house and twice in the garden. We backed on to a reserve, so probably asking for trouble. But the biggest crime area in Adelaide was Golden Grove, the big posh area, half million dollar homes. It was the highest crime cos burglars apparently thought people were at work all day, makes sense eh?

So like I say there is crime everywhere.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
I live in Coomera Waters, very nice to look at, shite to live in! You cant breathe! We have a marina, its a water estate yet we can not park our boat on the drive, we have to pay a guy up the road to store it for us! They go mad if the lawn isnt mowed real flat, if your bin is left out too many days.,..its shocking!
Ah but you have the lovely 7/8 min journey to get to the highway! ...

I spent 6 months in Coomera Waters and HATED Foxwell Road, especially when you get caught behind a snail.

I drove down it recently and see they are finally starting the Coomera Town Centre!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.