Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South Australian Wildlife?

South Australian Wildlife?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default South Australian Wildlife?

Hi, just out of curiosity what variety of wildlife do you get living near adelaide?

What can you expect to see in your garden? And also what "deadly" nasties are there? Do you get crocs that far south?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:24 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Australian Wildlife?

Originally Posted by Coppock
Hi, just out of curiosity what variety of wildlife do you get living near adelaide?

What can you expect to see in your garden? And also what "deadly" nasties are there? Do you get crocs that far south?
Don't remember seeing anything 'nasty' when we were there last August for a visit. Also spent time in a semi-bush area of the GC and did'nt see anything nasty there!! It was there wintertime though if that makes any difference......
C x
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:41 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shiels
Don't remember seeing anything 'nasty' when we were there last August for a visit. Also spent time in a semi-bush area of the GC and did'nt see anything nasty there!! It was there wintertime though if that makes any difference......
C x
You definately don't get crocodiles down there, they are up in the tropics.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Deadly nasties 'near' Adelaide would be Eastern Brown, Red-Bellied Black (snakes), Redback Spider (v.rarely fatal), White Pointer Shark, assorted jellyfish and octopuses, Metropolitan drivers (most frequent).

We are comparatively lucky re venomous beasties - but keep perspective, quite a lot of Australians have lived here a long time and are still alive (and prob haven't seen these things, let alone been bitten)

Definitely no crocs, the drop-bears ate them all. No funnelwebs (ish)

Gardens will be visited by snakes (esp in the Hills), bluetongue/shingleback/skinks et al (lizards), possums, koalas, lots of birds, and sadly lots of cats (domestic and feral) and foxes. Unlikely to see many roos within ~30km, similarly for echidnas - latter 'cos of the foxes.

Need to go north for dingo, camels, wombat etc.

Tropical Top End for larger reptiles (monitors, crocs etc.), all the nasty snakes (except inland taipan?), more birds-of-paradise, and the excellent jabiru.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:29 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Hiya,

I lived in Adelaide for 16 years (I was born there). Lived in the suburbs north of Adelaide towards Gawler. In my 16 years there I only ever saw 2 brown snakes and about 2 red back spiders!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:41 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kristyhans
Hiya,

I lived in Adelaide for 16 years (I was born there). Lived in the suburbs north of Adelaide towards Gawler. In my 16 years there I only ever saw 2 brown snakes and about 2 red back spiders!
I did see on the news that the Koalas are coming into the built up areas in search water, and the RSPCA were asking ppl to leave water out for them due to drought that is going on down there.

It did say that they had to rescue one from a pool, it must have fell in whilst taking a slurp. poor thing.

Hopefully we should be there later on this year, and will get chance to see all goodies and baddies that Adelaide has to offer.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:57 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Its the croc mating season at the moment, their very agressive in Adelaide, theres stories in the newspaper about cyclists and joggers along the river Torrens being attacked and dragged into the river and eaten Because of the drought in Adelaide the water holes have been drying up so the crocs have been crawling into peoples backyard pools.A few people have had their legs and arms torn off when taking a late night dip in their swimming pools.
But the most dangerous creature is the Adelaide Bunyip which lives in the Adelaide hills, its sort of a cross between a Nepali Yeti and a grizzly bear, its has ferocious claws and teeth and breaks into peoples houses at night tearing their flesh off.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 6th 2007 at 7:10 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:04 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Its the croc mating season at the moment, their very agressive in Adelaide, theres stories in the newspaper about cyclists and joggers along the river Torrens being attacked and dragged into the river and eaten Because of the drought in Adelaide the water holes have been drying up so the crocs have been crawling into peoples backyard pools.A few people have had their legs and arms torn off when taking a late night dip in their swimming pools at night
But the most dangerous creature is the Adelaide Bunyip which lives in the Adelaide hills, its sort of a cross between a Nepali Yeti and a grizzly bear, its has ferocious claws and teeth and breaks into peoples houses at night tearing their flesh off.

OMFG i thought that thing was extinct, it must have come back due to the excessive warm weather.

i hear they have even been spotted out on the golf courses.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:50 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Seriously the only two creatures in SA that kill people are sharks in the particular the great white and snakes in particular the brown snake, l don't believe anyone has ever died from a spider bite in South Australia.But the sharks and snakes only kill around 2 or 3 people a year in SA so your much more likely to be hit by a bus crossing the road in Adelaide.
The nearest croc would be 1,500 miles away in the Northern territory, crocs only live in the far northern tropical part of OZ, your no more likely to see a croc in Adelaide or SA then you would in the UK.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 6th 2007 at 7:58 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Lol @ bunyip. Has anyone survived a bunyip attack?

Thanks guys, Just difficult to find info sometimes at what wildlife live where in oz. Thought Crocs were just up north . . . last thing i want to do is emmigrate and then have my legs and arms torn off when taking a late night dip in my swimming pool.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

jobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to all

Lol @ bunyip. Has anyone survived a bunyip attack?
I only know of one guy I met whilst there on holiday a couple of years ago.....

He's just a bag of bones now.....
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:45 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

In 6 months we've seen 1 redback in a shopping plaza, 1 redback in my office, 1 huntsman on our sliding door to the patio, 1 mama huntsman with a nest of babies in our garage - which hub quickly dispensed of with a can of hairspray - 2 cockroaches the size of a computer mouse in my office, a couple of white tail spiders outside and one blue tongue lizard. We've not seen any snakes, although they don't bother me. A friend of mine lives in Blackwood and has had koalas in his yard looking for water recently. When we lived in Surrey Downs, which is northeastern suburbs there was a kangaroo on one of the streets I used to have to take to get to work. We were relatively close to the hills, though and he probably just got lost.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends where you are ... we've loads of snakes and spiders and roos and lizards and bulls and sheep and cows and nearly calves ........ yep we're rural and we get to see more space too but seriously I've heard some townies go on and on about the Redbacks which I've only got in one shed (hence that's empty of clutter!).
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. When i go i will only have young kids so I think south australia has a lot to offer, and I know that oz has the reputation of creepy crawlies etc. And most people going there would expect to go the beach, see 20 kinds of lizards, jelly fish and 16 great white sharks. . . and in the houses see 4 families of spiders, a couple of possoms, a croc in the pool, and a kangaroo jumping through your flower beds . . . .
I know it's not supposed to be as bad as people make out, and just piece of mind knowing that SA is probably relatively safe. Not too bothered about snakes, keep the mice away! OH is petrified of Spiders. . . but he will have to grow out of it lol.