south australia

Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

lizzydripping will become famous soon enoughlizzydripping will become famous soon enough
Default south australia

we're trying to find out as much as possible about settling in SA obviously attracted to the lower house prices and also like sound of the climate there. please let me have your opinions etc - hoping to get some response, other preferred option is NSW north shore [or more inland] but know its a lot more expensive [don't want another big mortgage] our visas are going through on my 'trade' -childcare co -ordinator, husband a plumber [re-trained so not enough work experience] two teenagers. thanks
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: south australia

Originally Posted by lizzydripping
we're trying to find out as much as possible about settling in SA obviously attracted to the lower house prices and also like sound of the climate there. please let me have your opinions etc - hoping to get some response, other preferred option is NSW north shore [or more inland] but know its a lot more expensive [don't want another big mortgage] our visas are going through on my 'trade' -childcare co -ordinator, husband a plumber [re-trained so not enough work experience] two teenagers. thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. There's a thread on SA already up and running, come and say hello http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438200

I'm going to buy a paper tomorrow to have a look at jobs, I'll let you know how many there are for your trades, give you some idea of whether the work is there or not.

Your OH will need to get a licence, but if he's not been able to get the TRA he may need to attend a course here. Here's the website for licencing so you can have a look and see what he needs to do to get the licence. Any questions ask away and I'll do my best to help.

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

lizzydripping will become famous soon enoughlizzydripping will become famous soon enough

thanks for answering, thats kind of you to look in local papers. we think that husband will need to start as a year 3 [or 4] apprentice - so needs to get a company to take him on and also register on a plumbing course. he's been working for the NHS as a maintenance plumber for three years now [did a 3 year part-time course to qualify] but this is not up to standard for AUS. luckily I have had a positive skills assessment and am hoping to find work in the pre-school sector [rather than a day nursery] as thats what I manage now in UK, but will do whatever at first. If you have any info on suburbs/areas recommended to live etc that would be great - I did look on the SA thread but didn't see any useful info for us.thanks again.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:06 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. There's a thread on SA already up and running, come and say hello http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438200

I'm going to buy a paper tomorrow to have a look at jobs, I'll let you know how many there are for your trades, give you some idea of whether the work is there or not.

Your OH will need to get a licence, but if he's not been able to get the TRA he may need to attend a course here. Here's the website for licencing so you can have a look and see what he needs to do to get the licence. Any questions ask away and I'll do my best to help.

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au
i regularly check http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/ and http://www.adelaidebound.com/ thay are a wealth of information.

might just see you there we are hopefully going out in Septmeber
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzydripping
thanks for answering, thats kind of you to look in local papers. we think that husband will need to start as a year 3 [or 4] apprentice - so needs to get a company to take him on and also register on a plumbing course. he's been working for the NHS as a maintenance plumber for three years now [did a 3 year part-time course to qualify] but this is not up to standard for AUS. luckily I have had a positive skills assessment and am hoping to find work in the pre-school sector [rather than a day nursery] as thats what I manage now in UK, but will do whatever at first. If you have any info on suburbs/areas recommended to live etc that would be great - I did look on the SA thread but didn't see any useful info for us.thanks again.

There's lots of nice suburbs either side of the city, the main thing is where you get a job as there's no point living in the North if you work in the South or vice versa.

I've not looked at the paper yet, but will do in a little while
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

There's lots of nice suburbs either side of the city, the main thing is where you get a job as there's no point living in the North if you work in the South or vice versa.
Depends on what you do of course.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Depends on what you do of course.

Definitely.

I think pre-school work and plumber would be either side though. So it's hard to narrow down in this case, more a case of where they get accepted for a position. I'd probably start by renting somewhere in the middle and go from there.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely.

I think pre-school work and plumber would be either side though. So it's hard to narrow down in this case, more a case of where they get accepted for a position. I'd probably start by renting somewhere in the middle and go from there.
They can have my house. I'm only 7 km northeast of the city centre. Easy access to either north or south. Lots of buses on the O-Bahn for those who don't drive. I could go on, but I won't.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Definitely.

Believe it or not there are Child care centers in the the East and West and in the hills. Why is it always North/ South?
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Believe it or not there are Child care centers in the the East and West and in the hills. Why is it always North/ South?

North/South covers all of SA for me. When I look at the map, even if I'm going to the East or West, there's either North of the city or South of the city (I put an imaginary line across from the CBD). But then I've always been crap at all that direction stuff