Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SOS Is there life in Christchurch?

SOS Is there life in Christchurch?

Old Oct 21st 2003, 2:12 am
Just Joined

aurora70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question SOS Is there life in Christchurch?

Hi, I've been in Christchurch for just over a year, and after a recent trip to the UK, got back and realised, that yes, I want to stay in New Zealand.

However (and I had been warned about this after I arrived), I also realised that I hardly know anybody around my own age in Christchurch and certainly only know two Brits, who I only see on an irregular basis. Its a notoriously cliquey place (ie people still hang out with their old schoolfriends and never move on), and I work out at Lincoln in a small building with people 10-20 years older than me, so I hardly get a chance to meet people through work.

I was wondering if there was anybody out there around my age (32) who still is into tramping, the arts, camping and reminising about the UK!!!

If so, do let me know. It would be great to hook up!!!

Aurora
Old Oct 21st 2003, 2:15 am
slowly turning kiwi...

flygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SOS Is there life in Christchurch?

i really wish i could help - i know exactly what you mean, it's just the same here in nelson. everyone i know is about 10-20yrs older than me...
Old Oct 21st 2003, 2:25 am
Just Joined

aurora70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So Nelson is the same?

Does that mean that everyone has evacuated to Wellington or are on overseas experiences? I thought Nelson was full of younger people...its quite a shock to hear that its not!!!

Aurora
Old Oct 21st 2003, 3:24 am
slowly turning kiwi...

flygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So Nelson is the same?

all either on their big oe or moved to oz/uk to earn real money instead of this monopoly stuff.

nelson has one of the most expensive housing markets in the country but also has one of the lowest wage markets - hence it is virtually impossible for first time buyers / young families to live here. most people move away to somewhere that pays better then comes back later on
Old Oct 21st 2003, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So Nelson is the same?

Will the last person leaving New Zealand please turn out the lights

Originally posted by flygirl
all either on their big oe or moved to oz/uk to earn real money instead of this monopoly stuff.

nelson has one of the most expensive housing markets in the country but also has one of the lowest wage markets - hence it is virtually impossible for first time buyers / young families to live here. most people move away to somewhere that pays better then comes back later on