Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

importing a car from the u.k

importing a car from the u.k

Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:36 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future
Default importing a car from the u.k

ive looked on here and on the web for the cost of importing a car from the u.k to oz, but cant find what i want.
so could anyone tell me what the total cost of shipping out your car and the pro`s and cons please.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:08 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: importing a car from the u.k

Originally posted by denhim
ive looked on here and on the web for the cost of importing a car from the u.k to oz, but cant find what i want.
so could anyone tell me what the total cost of shipping out your car and the pro`s and cons please.
For info look on the OZ customs web-site, they should tell you what the criteria is. Call a shipping company for a price & all the extra costs involved ( it will be cheaper if it is part of your house contents consignment)

I imported my M/cycle to NZ as part of our shipment, hard to say exactly how much it cost individually, but it must be valuable to you personally or rare etc. to do it, otherwise sell it & buy one there.
Use the search on here, I'm sure someone has posted something like this b4.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:40 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Be a bit careful here - if you have a 'luxury' car you'd get clobbered by the import tax (60% when I looked at bringing my Beemer out here as part of my container load), and 'luxury' is at the discretion of the Oz Customs.

Cars here aren't THAT expensive - I could have replaced my BMW318i for about $25,000 - call it 10,000 quid. Japanese cars are cheaper than the UK (Oz is one of Japans / Asia's biggest customers.)
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

From everything that I have read one is better off selling in UK and buying here. The only exception being rare or classic cars.

There are tax and regulatory issues to jump through. Then when you want to sell you might have difficulties because you have an import.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Comments please on our idea.

We want a shipping container to ourselves but don't have enough stuff to fill it. We have an R reg Volvo V40 that's worth about £4 to 5000 here, but to replace with something similar in Oz would cost a lot more. We know that there are tax and compliance costs, but as we have to ship some stuff anyway, and the costs for a full container aren't that much more than taking a risk with a shared container, we reckon the cheapest way of getting a car of the same quality is to ship this one.

What do you reckon?
Has anyone else stuffed a car in with their furniture?
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

£850.00 open deck to Brisbane or £2500 in a container.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:28 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CHnJ
Comments please on our idea.

We want a shipping container to ourselves but don't have enough stuff to fill it. We have an R reg Volvo V40 that's worth about £4 to 5000 here, but to replace with something similar in Oz would cost a lot more. We know that there are tax and compliance costs, but as we have to ship some stuff anyway, and the costs for a full container aren't that much more than taking a risk with a shared container, we reckon the cheapest way of getting a car of the same quality is to ship this one.

What do you reckon?
Has anyone else stuffed a car in with their furniture?
the biggest problem out of the uk ,is getting a company that can load ,furniture, and a car in the same 40ft container with out stuffing, 1/ the furniture 2/ the car,. i am trying to put forward a portfolio of some of the worst damages i have seen ex-uk, like the RENAULT clio with a heavy book carton stuck in the middle of the bonnet ....................... MM
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:33 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mikel
£850.00 open deck to Brisbane or £2500 in a container.
Have you thought why open deck [rorof] is so cheap, the same reason that most people dont buy ,euro or jap imports in oz, SALTED winter roads...... MM
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:45 am
arg
Forum Regular

arg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by denhim
I was going to take my 911 but I've spoken with a couple of car dealers in UK, both scared me to death with stories of cars being damaged by inadequate strapping. Also I believe (correct me if I'm wrong folks) that if the car is not immaculately clean inside and out that Oz customs can have it cleaned at their discretion and you foot the bill, plus if the car is sold within (I think its 2 years) you have to pay import tax.

All in all I figured I had enough to worry about without the car as well.

Its now for sale.............
1995 Porsche 911, 2 lady owners, 23800 miles, yellow, black leather interior, fsh.......... any takers????????
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:48 am
WBB

Originally posted by arg
I was going to take my 911 but I've spoken with a couple of car dealers in UK, both scared me to death with stories of cars being damaged by inadequate strapping. Also I believe (correct me if I'm wrong folks) that if the car is not immaculately clean inside and out that Oz customs can have it cleaned at their discretion and you foot the bill, plus if the car is sold within (I think its 2 years) you have to pay import tax.

1995 Porsche 911, 2 lady owners, 23800 miles, yellow, black leather interior, fsh.......... any takers????????
will give you a tenner if you get desperate

Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:51 am
arg
Forum Regular

arg is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that kind offer Billy
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

£850.00 open deck to Brisbane or £2500 in a container.>

£850 for open deck and another £5000 for a custom made ziplock plastic bag to put it in I think! : )

I'm curious about the £2500 container quote. Is that with Karman (?) car freight - the guys who give all the useful info online? They won't let us pack things in with the car.

The reason I was wondering if anyone else had done it was I was hoping people had an established method of crating/ wrapping/partitioning or otherwise separating the car from the rest of the furniture. Going by that Clio story, it sounds as if there isn't. Are containers built with lugs/hooks/fittings which would allow a net or something to separate two parts of a container? We're only talking about the volume of a few wardrobes of mainly equipment, sentimental items and furniture. What happens when people share a container? Do they just rely on box labels to identify who gets what?

I presume a car that is being shipped in a container would be shackled down somehow. Does the car have to be dead centre or can it be moved close to one end? If I could get the removalists to humph something as big as the crate I've described, they could put it into the far end of the container, net/strap it in place then put the car in. (If you hadn't guessed, I'm used to moving carboard boxloads by car, not lorry loads of furniture and teachests, so this is all new to me!)
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

I was quoted by a co in southampton for my 840 BMW, they said it could go open deck (that does not nessesarily mean exactly that, as they often go in the HOLD) for £850 Drive on drive off, you can fill it with good or another other way is in a container and they build a Wooden box around the car so you can fill the rest of the container with goods, I am not sure of the price of that though, the 3rd option is a sole use container for £2500.00 there are tie downs in the container so you can strap the car down you can again fill the car with things they also pack silica jel to reduce the moisture, you can also insure against loss/damage. This is information supplied to me by an agent I can try to get the details and post them if anyone is interested.
A light coat of waxol would be a lot chaper than a £5000 zip bag which would not cost £5000 anyway, if it is a quality car ie galvinised body 6 week at sea should not be too different to from a winter on salted road in the UK, that is just my opintion.
You pay a customs duty and GST reguardless of what you do with the car and may try to sell it immediatly if you want, there are no restrictions once leagally in the country and fitted with a personal import plate, do a search on www.dotars.gov.au then "personal import". One requirement is that you must have owned it and used it regualarly for at least 12 months before applying for an import permit.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

I was quoted by a co in southampton for my 840 BMW, they said it could go open deck (that does not nessesarily mean exactly that, as they often go in the HOLD) for £850 Drive on drive off, you can fill it with good or another other way is in a container and they build a Wooden box around the car so you can fill the rest of the container with goods, I am not sure of the price of that though, the 3rd option is a sole use container for £2500.00 there are tie downs in the container so you can strap the car down you can again fill the car with things they also pack silica jel to reduce the moisture, you can also insure against loss/damage. This is information supplied to me by an agent I can try to get the details and post them if anyone is interested.
A light coat of waxol would be a lot chaper than a £5000 zip bag which would not cost £5000 anyway, if it is a quality car ie galvinised body 6 week at sea should not be too different to from a winter on salted road in the UK, that is just my opintion.
You pay a customs duty and GST reguardless of what you do with the car and may try to sell it immediatly if you want, there are no restrictions once leagally in the country and fitted with a personal import plate, do a search on www.dotars.gov.au then "personal import". One requirement is that you must have owned it and used it regualarly for at least 12 months before applying for an import permit.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:49 am
Banned

Originally posted by arg

when we load cars for NZ or UK {not many} we build a mezzanine frame over the car ,which allows us to load over the vehicle, thus using all available space, the cars are tied down, and twist tensioned, dont put any items in the car as they will not be inventoried and not considered to be part of the insurance cover. Also we have had beamers in with the leather seats damaged due to cartons rubbing against the fabric ............ MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.