Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorting Out Citizenship - May Be one for you JAJ

Sorting Out Citizenship - May Be one for you JAJ

Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:51 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorting Out Citizenship - May Be one for you JAJ

Some of you may remember that my Mum has been trying to get Australian citizenship. The Aussie Govt have now asked for proof my Grandfather was an Australian citizen. As I understand it, he became one because he was a British natural ordinarily resident here on the 26th January 1949, although some of that period was spent as a POW for the Aussie army in Japan.

So does anyone know how we prove his Australian citizenship given he is now dead and and there is little left in terms of documents.

Ta,

Paul.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorting Out Citizenship - May Be one for you JAJ

not sure if this is of any help, but the citizenship website also says something about serving in the defence forces giving you exemption....can you provide proof that he was in Aussie Defence Force? They surely must have records showing where he was/how long he served?
Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:01 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Some of you may remember that my Mum has been trying to get Australian citizenship. The Aussie Govt have now asked for proof my Grandfather was an Australian citizen. As I understand it, he became one because he was a British natural ordinarily resident here on the 26th January 1949, although some of that period was spent as a POW for the Aussie army in Japan.

So does anyone know how we prove his Australian citizenship given he is now dead and and there is little left in terms of documents.

Ta,

Paul.
Surely you could contact the Ministry of Defence (or the Aussie equivelent) they would be able to confirm that he was at least in the Army etc, etc.. Equally i am sure there would be some sort of record if he was a POW too.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:12 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Ta,

Paul.
Try the Legacy place in Southport.................Legacy looks after oz ex vets & their relos...forever
Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try this site - The Bloke has found it while searching for history on his father.....

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Defence forces records should be the key. Also, maybe ask one of the Australian veterans organisations such as the Returned Services League.

You may be able to get records of the ship on which he migrated to Australia: http://www.naa.gov.au

Did he get married in Australia or attend any Australian education institutions? They may have records. There may still be a record in the social security system, and so on.

Jeremy
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:27 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Defence forces records should be the key. Also, maybe ask one of the Australian veterans organisations such as the Returned Services League.

You may be able to get records of the ship on which he migrated to Australia: http://www.naa.gov.au

Did he get married in Australia or attend any Australian education institutions? They may have records. There may still be a record in the social security system, and so on.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy and everyone else.

Paul.