Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

somewhere to live in Melbourne

somewhere to live in Melbourne

Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:27 am
Just Joined

jools79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default somewhere to live in Melbourne

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me. My family and i will be moving to Melbourne in 2 years time. Can anyone recommend a nice area in Melbourne to live. I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old so i need good schools close by and i will also be going to university so i need to live near one of them as well.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default Re: somewhere to live in Melbourne

Originally Posted by jools79
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me. My family and i will be moving to Melbourne in 2 years time. Can anyone recommend a nice area in Melbourne to live. I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old so i need good schools close by and i will also be going to university so i need to live near one of them as well.
mornington
Attached Thumbnails somewhere to live in Melbourne-looking-safety-beach.jpg   somewhere to live in Melbourne-melbourne-taken-arthues-seat.jpg   somewhere to live in Melbourne-bay-frankston.jpg   somewhere to live in Melbourne-mornington-7.jpg   somewhere to live in Melbourne-mornington-17.jpg  

Last edited by robert cowan; Mar 20th 2006 at 10:18 am.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Most suburbs are within easy reach of a Uni... I guess that a lot depends on what course you are taking to where you need to be. Are you wanting the beach??
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Most suburbs are within easy reach of a Uni... I guess that a lot depends on what course you are taking to where you need to be. Are you wanting the beach??
Yes i am wanting to be near a beach. I will be doing a graduate diploma in secondary education at uni.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help much about suburbs near the beach but I am sure that there are plenty that can...

All I can say is that I always go to the beach at Aspendale... it is fairly quite, clean and shallow. St Kilda is also picking up a lot although I think that it has got fairly pricey.

It may be worth checking out a few real estate sites to see where you can afford... often the closer to the CBD along the bay the more cost... and smaller plots. I think that Mornington has a lot of expats now... it is a lovely place but a fair hike from the CBD.. I am not sure on Uni though although I would guess that Frankston could offer that at not to far a drive.

Good Luck.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i am wanting to be near a beach. I will be doing a graduate diploma in secondary education at uni.

Which is more important, being near the Uni or near the beach, the two options oppose each other quite strongly.

IE: Melbourne Uni, is 3 k's from the CBD, The decent beaches start at circa 40ks out. or 1 hour plus "peak" travelling time each way to the Uni.

Are you coming to Aussie for a beach lifestyle, and moving to areas where there isn't "the best" infrastructure, or are you able to cope with one of the best Urban environments in the world, with the best Cafe's Restaurants, and transport, that Aussie can muster ? Is being in your car for close to two hours per day, to and from Melbourne Uni, a better option than living close into the CBD ?

Fitzroy, if you can pull together circa 700,000+ Aud, is less than 10mins bicycle ride or tram ride from Melbourne Uni, and beats any inner upmarket suburb that you can name in London IMHO. Plus the capitol gains (housing investment) will oustrip any outer suburb, by at least 50pct.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

I would personally look at the South-eastern suburbs, many of these are within 20 minutes drive of the beaches.

Living close to the best quality beaches costs a premium and means you get stacks of visitors at weekends.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Ginger Whinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Jools,

Carnegie and surrounding suburbs in the SE area might be good for you. 10 minutes from Brighton beach, near Monash Uni Caulfield or Clayton campuses. 20 minutes by train to the CBD for Melbourne Uni or RMIT. Also an area with good schools (especially for 11+ I think). A lot cheaper also than in really central suburbs. $500,000 should get you a decent family place with a bit of garden and BBQ space.

GW
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: somewhere to live in Melbourne

Thanks everyone for your advise.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Question Re: somewhere to live in Melbourne

Hi,I wanted to ask this as well,anyone live in Patterson Lakes,Carrum area,we are thinking of buying in this area,would anyone recommend this or anywhere else nearby.We have family near Mount Eliza so would consider there as well(heard it was a bit expensive though) Cheers Claire&Dave