Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:00 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Now you've moved to rational!!! Good God, woman! Show mercy!

Come on - pub!

Originally Posted by Un-Co
You've made numerous comments about Nichola. Unfriendly, argumentative, like a dog with a bone, 'priceless' (well maybe I agree with that one )
I'm just saying relax. It's all gotten out of proportion. Heated political discussion is good - I love a good debate. Getting upset about it is bad. Now lets all move on.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Megalania
"ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR !"
That's why the following is more appropriate for today's Australia

I came from the dreamtime from the dusty red soil plains
I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame
I stood upon the rocky shore
I watched the tall ships come
For forty thousand years I'd been the first Australian.

I came upon the prison ship bowed down by iron chains.
I cleared the land, endured the lash and waited for the rains.
I'm a settler.
I'm a farmer's wife on a dry and barren run
A convict then a free man I became Australian.

I'm the daughter of a digger who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman on the long and dusty road
I'm a child of the depression
I saw the good times come
I'm a bushy, I'm a battler
I am Australian

[chorus]
We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian
I am, you are, we are Australian.

I'm a teller of stories
I'm a singer of songs
I am Albert Namatjira
I paint the ghostly gums
I am Clancy on his horse
I'm Ned Kelly on the run
I'm the one who waltzed Matilda
I am Australian

I'm the hot wind from the desert
I'm the black soil of the plains
I'm the mountains and the valleys
I'm the drought and flooding rains
I am the rock, I am the sky
The rivers when they run
The spirit of this great land
I am Australian

[chorus]

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Crikey! Not quite sure what has happened to this thread.....?
I think maybe the talk of Patriotism and immigration has hit a nerve with some people....
However, all I was trying to point out, is that maybe we should show some pride in where we are from and appreciate what it does offer, instead of slating it all the time, and maybe we should all be a little more tolerant of other creeds and races after all, many of us will be part of an "ethnic minority" in Australia.
Seeing life from the other side made me realise that immigrants the world over (including the ones in the U.K) are not always "spongers" merely people, often struggling to do the best they can for their family by taking them to (what they think) is one of the most tolerant, fair, safe countries in the world.. U.K. Often these people contribute greatly to the country.
And are all "illegal immigrants" bad people? Or are many just ordinary human beings, driven to extreme measures to reach a safe haven for them and their family.
I'm sure there are good and bad people who are "legal" immigrants too, the only difference being that they are often in possession of a desirable qualification and are able to walk through customs....
I think many of us need to learn to see things from all angles and a wider perspective, instead of getting caught up in debate because we think ours is the only way.

Originally Posted by louise4
if Australia has a problem, they can stop it. same as we can
louise4, I don't think Australia has a "problem". I think it is often people who have a problem....

I think I should also add that I am actually Welsh, and very proud of my ancestry and heritage and yes, the Welsh have been oppressed by the English for many years (my Great-Grandmother was made to wear the "Welsh Not" in school, by english speaking teachers.........ask Ceri!!) But I also have very many english friends who live in Wales, I also have many Welsh relatives now living in England.....The U.K is now becoming too integrated, to try to segregate it again. Let's all just learn to be a little more tolerant!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:10 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Kath and Kim, i was replying to the sentense in which you said about australian people moaning about poeple from the Uk coming over and expecting everything for free.
whilst we were living there, and don't believe it has changed since, medicare was subsidised not free. if you need the dentist you have to pay some towards it. likewise with doctors, unless you can find one who bulkbills. prescription charges are paid for also, subsidised after reaching a certain amount within the year.
i am english, because that is where my family come from, i have irish ancestry but not in my living memory.
i think that people in the UK are tollerent, we have aided people from all over for years and years. i have no exception to immigrants, they are moving for all different reasons. i will not go into the illegal immigrant issue, i have had enough of that to last a life time.
what happened generations ago between the england, ireland, scotland and wales is history. yes people will still have issues with this but what is your issue with me. i have not said anything about your post that could be interpreted as intolerent, others have said the same as me. that they are proud to be english. why pick up on what i said.
what has gone on on this thread is beyond me now. i really don't see why issue has once again been taken with what i have said.
it seems unless we are all happy little soles and not complaining we are jumped on.
i live here, i see what is happening, i have right not to be happy with some aspects of the counrty and find it unbelielable that a thread which started out as someon's personal point of view, which was regarding feelings of immigration has been turned into a segregation of the UK, what went wrong soooo many years ago, a thumbs down to those who say anything negative.
i will be an immigrant yes, i will struggle yes, but this will be after having met strict criteria and not expect anything for free.

i am hoping, so much, that you take no offence, none intended, i have not been rude, personal or sarcastic. i have not said you are wrong in any way.
so please don't say i am wrong for my views.

Louisexx
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Banksia
That's why the following is more appropriate for today's Australia

I came from the dreamtime from the dusty red soil plains
I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame
I stood upon the rocky shore
I watched the tall ships come
For forty thousand years I'd been the first Australian.

I came upon the prison ship bowed down by iron chains.
I cleared the land, endured the lash and waited for the rains.
I'm a settler.
I'm a farmer's wife on a dry and barren run
A convict then a free man I became Australian.

I'm the daughter of a digger who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman on the long and dusty road
I'm a child of the depression
I saw the good times come
I'm a bushy, I'm a battler
I am Australian

[chorus]

I'm a teller of stories
I'm a singer of songs
I am Albert Namatjira
I paint the ghostly gums
I am Clancy on his horse
I'm Ned Kelly on the run
I'm the one who waltzed Matilda
I am Australian

I'm the hot wind from the desert
I'm the black soil of the plains
I'm the mountains and the valleys
I'm the drought and flooding rains
I am the rock, I am the sky
The rivers when they run
The spirit of this great land
I am Australian

[chorus]

I really love this song. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I really love this song. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye.
And another $ for telstra.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by louise4
Kath and Kim, i was replying to the sentense in which you said about australian people moaning about poeple from the Uk coming over and expecting everything for free.
whilst we were living there, and don't believe it has changed since, medicare was subsidised not free. if you need the dentist you have to pay some towards it. likewise with doctors, unless you can find one who bulkbills. prescription charges are paid for also, subsidised after reaching a certain amount within the year.
i am english, because that is where my family come from, i have irish ancestry but not in my living memory.
i think that people in the UK are tollerent, we have aided people from all over for years and years. i have no exception to immigrants, they are moving for all different reasons. i will not go into the illegal immigrant issue, i have had enough of that to last a life time.
what happened generations ago between the england, ireland, scotland and wales is history. yes people will still have issues with this but what is your issue with me. i have not said anything about your post that could be interpreted as intolerent, others have said the same as me. that they are proud to be english. why pick up on what i said.
what has gone on on this thread is beyond me now. i really don't see why issue has once again been taken with what i have said.
it seems unless we are all happy little soles and not complaining we are jumped on.
i live here, i see what is happening, i have right not to be happy with some aspects of the counrty and find it unbelielable that a thread which started out as someon's personal point of view, which was regarding feelings of immigration has been turned into a segregation of the UK, what went wrong soooo many years ago, a thumbs down to those who say anything negative.
i will be an immigrant yes, i will struggle yes, but this will be after having met strict criteria and not expect anything for free.

i am hoping, so much, that you take no offence, none intended, i have not been rude, personal or sarcastic. i have not said you are wrong in any way.
so please don't say i am wrong for my views.

Louisexx
Louise, I do not take offence. You are as entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I have no "issue" with you.
However, please do not mis-quote me. I did not write a sentence about the Australian people "moaning about people from the U.K coming over here and expecting everything for free". These are your words, not mine.
I was merely using your quote to point out that no, I don't think Australia has a problem with subsidising it's medicare system etc..for immigrants like yourself and I.
I too intend no offence, and hope none is taken.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:35 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Louise, I do not take offence. You are as entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I have no "issue" with you.
However, please do not mis-quote me. I did not write a sentence about the Australian people "moaning about people from the U.K coming over here and expecting everything for free". These are your words, not mine.
I was merely using your quote to point out that no, I don't think Australia has a problem with subsidising it's medicare system etc..for immigrants like yourself and I.
I too intend no offence, and hope none is taken.
not at all
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bondipom
And another $ for telstra.

Ummm I am not sure what you meant by this post maybe that my post was a waste of time, forgive please if I am wrong, but if I am not what does that make your post?

Katie
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:01 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

I think I should also add that I am actually Welsh, and very proud of my ancestry and heritage and yes, the Welsh have been oppressed by the English for many years (my Great-Grandmother was made to wear the "Welsh Not" in school, by english speaking teachers.........ask Ceri!!) But I also have very many english friends who live in Wales, I also have many Welsh relatives now living in England.....The U.K is now becoming too integrated, to try to segregate it again. Let's all just learn to be a little more tolerant!
On post 15 you said wales wasn't seprate & now on this post you are welsh.

Why do you need to point that out seeing you think there is no distinction?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

google is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, maybe we should learn something from the Aussie's. Whenever you ask an Aussie abroad "Where are you from?" I doubt you would hear "New South Wales/Queensland/W.A/Northern Territory" etc, The reply I've always had is simply....."Australia"
I too am proud of my ancestry, but I am from the U.K.
guess one of the reasons they avoid referring to the state is that aussie states such as "new south wales" are far less well known than U.S states such as California or Virginia. I had a colleague in Boston asking me if new south wales is a wealthy suburb of sydney.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
On post 15 you said wales wasn't seprate & now on this post you are welsh.

Why do you need to point that out seeing you think there is no distinction?
gogdownunder, I am merely pointing out that it is possible to be both.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Ummm I am not sure what you meant by this post maybe that my post was a waste of time, forgive please if I am wrong, but if I am not what does that make your post?

Katie
They are the lyrics of a Telstra advert. The song makes me think of broken down broadband and high charges.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:24 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

gogdownunder, I am merely pointing out that it is possible to be both.
Of course there are people who are both. The part I don't understand in your statements is that you claim to be part of something you don't believe in

No hard feelings.....
Old Jun 10th 2005, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bondipom
They are the lyrics of a Telstra advert. The song makes me think of broken down broadband and high charges.

I am very sorry for misinterpreting your post Bondi. I have sent you some karma as way of an apology. I hope you accept as I am pregnant and hormonal and also my brain has stopped working.

Katie

ps is Telstra broadband that bad. I will remember not to get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.