Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Originally Posted by pogsy
I must say I agree with most of your post however you say you now feel like that foreign immigrant but do you mean that you dont work or contribute to the Australian economy like most of the immigrants coming into the uk. If so then no wonder you feel like that. Most of the people who post on BE dont give me the opinion that they are about to rock up in Oz and not work.
It's an unbelievably sweeping allegation to say 'most' immigrants coming to the Uk don't work or contribute to the economy. I wish people would think in terms of these being individual people each with their own set of circumstances that their talking about rather than bunching all kinds of situations together, labelling them immigrants (or even better 'illegals' whether they are in fact or not) and making frankly ridiculous assumtions about them. Some people will always try and cheat any system - sadly thats a fact of human nature rather than nationality.

Last edited by Un-Co; Jun 16th 2005 at 4:32 am.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by sam&molly
Since when has it been the case that most of the immigrants who come to the UK don't contribute? Most legal immigrants have to apply for work permits and visas in much the same way as we do to come to OZ. The exceptions are a few dependent countries and number of former members of the empire due to a certain level of responsibility Britain has for the atrocious way we treated other nations. The NHS runs on often low paid immigrants, if they stopped contributing then the NHS would grind to a holt.

The people who can not contribute (not the same as not wanting to) are asylum seekers, who have to go through the process of having their applications heard.

Britain is, and always has been, a mongrel nation and it is all the better for the diversity. Even simply things like the changes in shop's opening times can be directly traced to immigrant shop keepers who changed working practices.

Sam
Maybe you should take a look at the construction industry in the uk and then tell me if you still think " Most legal immigrants have to apply for work permits and visas in much the same way as we do to come to OZ.". If this were the case we would have been in Oz years ago. Fair comment on the way Britain has treated the other nations in the past I agree but that does not make it right just to let illegal immagrants into the country, it is an island that CAN NOT sustain more and more individuals coming through the gates. As you note the National Health service does a great job ,it makes a lot of people live longer, hence more population living longer = more people trying to live on the same little island. The reference to most immigrants living of benefits and the fact that they dont want to work was taken from the first paragraph of the first post on the thread, however I do beleive that of the illegal immigrants.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:46 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

I must say I agree with most of your post however you say you now feel like that foreign immigrant but do you mean that you dont work or contribute to the Australian economy like most of the immigrants coming into the uk. If so then no wonder you feel like that. Most of the people who post on BE dont give me the opinion that they are about to rock up in Oz and not work.
Have you ever heard the theory regarding, not opening your mouth on a topic until you are qualified to do so???

Strikes me that your comments are TOTALLY unqualified.......who do you think cleans our public toilets - immigrants. Who keeps our hotels open - immigrants. Who does all the crap jobs on building sites - immigrants. I could go on all day, but suffice, think I have made my point!

Of course, there is a lazy minority as in everywhere in the world.......but it is wrong to tar all with the same brush!

My GF comes into contact with immigrants from all countries and for all reasons on a daily basis as part of her work.....would love to see you tell her that they don't contribute to the economy!!!

<~~~~~~Rob running for cover!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Have you ever heard the theory regarding, not opening your mouth on a topic until you are qualified to do so???

Strikes me that your comments are TOTALLY unqualified.......who do you think cleans our public toilets - immigrants. Who keeps our hotels open - immigrants. Who does all the crap jobs on building sites - immigrants. I could go on all day, but suffice, think I have made my point!

Of course, there is a lazy minority as in everywhere in the world.......but it is wrong to tar all with the same brush!

My GF comes into contact with immigrants from all countries and for all reasons on a daily basis as part of her work.....would love to see you tell her that they don't contribute to the economy!!!

<~~~~~~Rob running for cover!
I suppose because your GF has contact with said people does qualify you to open your mouth does it and not mine, like I said the construction industry, not all the crap jobs on building site like you said that no one wants but chippies and sparkies mates, plasterers etc . It is precisly hostile replies like yours that are making this site crap, my opinion , not making it a rule, I thought we were still in a democratic society.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should take a look at the construction industry in the uk and then tell me if you still think " Most legal immigrants have to apply for work permits and visas in much the same way as we do to come to OZ.". If this were the case we would have been in Oz years ago. Fair comment on the way Britain has treated the other nations in the past I agree but that does not make it right just to let illegal immagrants into the country, it is an island that CAN NOT sustain more and more individuals coming through the gates. As you note the National Health service does a great job ,it makes a lot of people live longer, hence more population living longer = more people trying to live on the same little island. The reference to most immigrants living of benefits and the fact that they dont want to work was taken from the first paragraph of the first post on the thread, however I do beleive that of the illegal immigrants.
If you actually read the first post she starts off with "A lot of people seem to be talking about..." She was talking about a perception (and an incorrect one at that IMO) not stating a fact.
Do you relaly believe that most illegal immigrants don't want to work? I'd argue an equal number of these people are qualified professionals who would love to be able to work.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:59 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

I suppose because your GF has contact with said people does qualify you to open your mouth does it and not mine, like I said the construction industry, not all the crap jobs on building site like you said that no one wants but chippies and sparkies mates, plasterers etc . It is precisly hostile replies like yours that are making this site crap, my opinion , not making it a rule, I thought we were still in a democratic society.

Pogsy,

Yes, actually my GF having contact with 'said people' does in fact qualify me to comment, or should I say, qualifies me better than most on this board. Those people like yourself who glean your opinions from the sensationalist press and your mates down the pub!

She has worked closely with immigrants for 4 years and knows the process and the people that apply rather well in fact!

The point I am trying to make is that I feel it wrong for a person to come on here, passing judgement, without first arming themselves with the facts. I am sure many if not most will agree with this sentiment?

The way I see it, your comment re: most immigrants to the UK not wishing to work and claiming benefits, is UTTERLY innaccurate....

Yes, a democratic society we live in indeed - hence my post!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:03 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=pogsy]Fair comment on the way Britain has treated the other nations in the past I agree but that does not make it right just to let illegal immagrants into the country, it is an island that CAN NOT sustain more and more individuals coming through the gates. QUOTE]

AS IF Britain just LETS 'illegal' immigrants into the country???

May I suggest you research the difference between an 'illegal' immigrant and an 'immigrant?

Uneducated/ mis-informed/ ignorant - delete as appropriate...I rest my case!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:08 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Are we just glossing over the declining birth rate in the UK???

Fair comment on the way Britain has treated the other nations in the past I agree but that does not make it right just to let illegal immagrants into the country, it is an island that CAN NOT sustain more and more individuals coming through the gates. As you note the National Health service does a great job ,it makes a lot of people live longer, hence more population living longer = more people trying to live on the same little island.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:28 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Is Wales then?
Of course it is, but we're all part of a bigger union, and I generally find that most people don't even know where Wales is, so if I think I'll get the 'Where the hell is Wales??' comment, I just say I'm from the UK!!
...being part of the UK makes me just as proud as being Welsh!

Last edited by GrantP; Jun 16th 2005 at 7:32 am.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Un-Co
If you actually read the first post she starts off with "A lot of people seem to be talking about..." She was talking about a perception (and an incorrect one at that IMO) not stating a fact.
Do you relaly believe that most illegal immigrants don't want to work? I'd argue an equal number of these people are qualified professionals who would love to be able to work.
Thank-you for correcting Pogsy on that Un-co....You are right, I did not label, merely observe.

To clarify to some posters, the point I was trying to make was about this argument exactly.
People like some of the posters here having the opinion that they are so different, even superior to most of the foreign immigrants in the U.K. What I am trying to point out is "Are we so different?" Many of us are immigrants, most hoping to find employment when we live in Australia. (Yes, I do work) But what if we couldn't find work, through no fault of our own? Would that then make us as "bad" as the immigrants in the U.K who cannot find employment? (I agree, maybe some don't want to work, but then some British people don't want to work either.)
I'm sure most of them arrived in the U.K with the same high hopes, excitement and expectations as most of us entering Australia had. Most of them wholeheartedly ready to join the workforce, to work hard and better their lives. As you say, many of these people are qualified professionals.
For many, they realise their dreams, but some don't - Just as some don't in Australia.
There are many types of people, of many races and nationalities. We cannot typecast or generalise about any of them. People are people, it is not their circumstances, nationality or creed which dictate whether they are "good" or "bad" but their actions towards others.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by GrantP
Of course it is, but we're all part of a bigger union, and I generally find that most people don't even know where Wales is, so if I think I'll get the 'Where the hell is Wales??' comment, I just say I'm from the UK!!
...being part of the UK makes me just as proud as being Welsh!
ME TOO!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Pogsy,

Yes, actually my GF having contact with 'said people' does in fact qualify me to comment, or should I say, qualifies me better than most on this board. Those people like yourself who glean your opinions from the sensationalist press and your mates down the pub!

She has worked closely with immigrants for 4 years and knows the process and the people that apply rather well in fact!

The point I am trying to make is that I feel it wrong for a person to come on here, passing judgement, without first arming themselves with the facts. I am sure many if not most will agree with this sentiment?

The way I see it, your comment re: most immigrants to the UK not wishing to work and claiming benefits, is UTTERLY innaccurate....

Yes, a democratic society we live in indeed - hence my post!
I dont in fact glean facts from the press or mates down the pub, first hand knowledge indeed . As I work in the construction industry my facts are first hand and comments are made in the light of it. You see in the construction industry there are a lot of ilegal immagrants working, for cash and not paying any 1/tax 2/ N.I. 3/public liability insurance. These people are tending to undercut the prices of British trades people who need to earn a set amount in order to pay their way and still have a standard of living, maybe this is why a lot of trades people are leaving to go to different countries.
The statement you made below is in fact true but not in my case.
Quote:The point I am trying to make is that I feel it wrong for a person to come on here, passing judgement, without first arming themselves with the facts. I am sure many if not most will agree with this sentiment?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=ROBnCAZ]
Fair comment on the way Britain has treated the other nations in the past I agree but that does not make it right just to let illegal immagrants into the country, it is an island that CAN NOT sustain more and more individuals coming through the gates. QUOTE]

AS IF Britain just LETS 'illegal' immigrants into the country???

May I suggest you research the difference between an 'illegal' immigrant and an 'immigrant?

Uneducated/ mis-informed/ ignorant - delete as appropriate...I rest my case!
Delete al three, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, as is getting personal on an open forum.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=pogsy]

Delete al three, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, as is getting personal on an open forum.

Also considered by many to be the highest form of intelligence!!!

Not getting personal at all.....just getting fed up with reading posts from people who are not properly qualified on there chosen thread subject!

I now wish to rest my case and feel that I have clearly made my point, if you wish to retaliate further, please feel free............I am bored with this thread and will be spending my valuable time reading others written by people with actual knowledge on the subject in question...
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

I manage a busy ward in a busy hospital.
Without the immigrants that work on my ward I'd be lost.
Out of 25 staff
7 are African
2 are Carribean
2 are Indian
2 are Irish
3 are British but are children of Immigrants.
Oh and one is from Liverpool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.