Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somebody help me please...

Somebody help me please...

Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:45 am
Just Joined

chrisam is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Somebody help me please...

Does this feeling of "are we doing the right thing?" ever go away? We are currently looking towards moving to Perth but I begin to doubt myself as I always have this feeling, when a lot of people on here seem so sure that this is for them.

Please if anybody has any advice, I would be very grateful.

Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:50 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Somebody help me please...

Hi there, I feel exactly the same but finally came to think if we dont go we will forever be wondering!!! and if for some reason (cant see it happening), I dont settle in Perth, I am going to make sure I as stay and apply for citizenship then If I ever come home and realise I actually love Perth I can just get straight back on that plane without all this paperwork ever again! Go for it is what I say....You only live once so give it your best shot, good luck.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi there, I feel exactly the same but finally came to think if we dont go we will forever be wondering!!! and if for some reason (cant see it happening), I dont settle in Perth, I am going to make sure I as stay and apply for citizenship then If I ever come home and realise I actually love Perth I can just get straight back on that plane without all this paperwork ever again! Go for it is what I say....You only live once so give it your best shot, good luck.
Thanks for that

I do want to do this, but sometimes, I forget that I am grown up now and have to make my own decision!!

Like you say, I think I have gone too far with it now and would always be left wondering what if. I just need to get my positivity back on track.

Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:54 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dawn
I can imagine the feeling, always follow gut insticts though, and these have brought you to where you are now...a fear of the unknown i suppose- natural. I'm sure you will be fine after a few months there.

All the best

Dave
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:55 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisam
Does this feeling of "are we doing the right thing?" ever go away? We are currently looking towards moving to Perth but I begin to doubt myself as I always have this feeling, when a lot of people on here seem so sure that this is for them.

I suspect the feeling will stay until you are settled in your new home and it is perfectly normal.

In fact, I would worry if you didnt have any concerns.

Sometimes we need stress to keep us going and by being careful in situations, is a good method of self preservation and survival.

You have to tackle each day as it comes along with each task and tell yourself that you are doing the right thing.

By taking the chance you have been offered and stepping into the unknown, you are making the most of your life.

Nothing is forever and if it goes wrong you can come home but you won't know until you try.

At the end of the day, you won't know its right for you until you get there.

But in answer to your question, 'am I doing the right thing?' then I would say yes.

The 'right thing for now' is your decision to emigrate.

The 'right thing for the future' can only be determined by what happens when you get there.

Good luck and enjoy the fact that chances like this don't come around very often and if you step out of your comfort zone to explore, scarey as it may be, you might like it.

Love Sam
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:55 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry - everyone goes through it - even up until getting in the car on the way to the airport ! Then you really feel like being sick ;-)

Once you step off the plane this end you'll be fine - inf act when you step ON the plane your end you'll be fine too.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

I think it's human nature to question our own choices. I don't think you can ever be 100% sure as no-one can tell what the future will hold.

The only thing causing us grief is my parents (they're devastated that we're going) and the guilt of causing them such pain has made me question our decision, but it's a case of 'if we don't try we'll never know'. We have to live our own lives, and while it might be the biggest mistake we ever make, it could equally be the best decision of our lives.

It's never to late to change your mind before you go and equally there's no shame in wanting to return to a way of life that you prefer.

Good luck with everything.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:00 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with Dawn.

I have alot of doubts some days and then others (like today) just know it is the right thing to do.

Of course you'll feel nervous about leaving your 'comfort zone' and your nice organised life - it wouldn't be natural if you didn't. Loads of people feel like you.

Life is for living not wondering 'what if' and if it does go pear shaped out there you can always come back or try somewhere else to live.

Suzy x
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:01 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

God sam I feel elated myself now, was have a bit of a bad day!!!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your support. I am relieved to hear that it isn't just me who feels like this at times.

Thanks again for your help and hopefully, I can get back on track with this again.

Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:04 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I was going to post a thread saying the same :scared: :scared:

I think its a natural feeling after all what we are doing is a huge life changing thing!!
I feel exactly as you describe so does hubby but we are going to do it ,coz i couldnt live with the what ifs!!

good Luck

Kris xx
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:46 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We leave on Monday for Brissie.
I would'nt say we are having 2nd thoughts, it's the fear of the unknown.
We have never been to Oz and don't have any family & friends out there, but now is our time.
I'm sure you'll make the right choice in the end.

Good Luck
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:21 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how you feel, I have waves of it. Some days I'm like 'yes, we sooo need to do this' and feel perfectly happy, other days I'm like 'omg am I mad, what the hell am I doing, how can I do this to everyone, forget it' - but really, I KNOW, if Iwe don't do it we will regret it and I'd hate that so much. I'd hate to be sitting here in 20 years time full of regret. At the end of the day, go for it, give it a try, if you really hate it you can come back

I know what you mean about some people being so sure of what they're doing, it does scare me a little that I'm not 100% sure.

Hell, go for it that's what I say - feel confident in your decision and know that nothing is forever, if you want to turn around and come back you can. Chances are you'll never regret going but you'll always regret it if you don't.

Take care

Kath x