Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some info on Prep in Qld

Some info on Prep in Qld

Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Some info on Prep in Qld

Hi everyone,

Went to the local school this morning for an open day as son is starting prep next year. Thought I'd pass on some questions/answers the principal covered that touch on some of the questions british immigrants have on here:

Q. Can my child start prep next year even though they are not old enough?

A. The decision is signed off at a regional level, not by the school. They use two criteria - 1. Has your child already attended a program similar to prep in another state or country. He used the uk as an example. He said if your child was from qld then this would obviously disqualify them? 2. Is your child ready?

Q. Can my child be held back from attending prep even though their age suggests they should attend?

A. Yes. But do not assume they will start in prep the following year. The preference would be to keep them with their age peers and put them straight into year 1. This can be negotiated with the school. He suggested waiting until the last minute before deciding that you will hold them back as a few months can make a huge difference at that age.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Some info on Prep in Qld

Originally Posted by fish.01
Hi everyone,

Went to the local school this morning for an open day as son is starting prep next year. Thought I'd pass on some questions/answers the principal covered that touch on some of the questions british immigrants have on here:

Q. Can my child start prep next year even though they are not old enough?

A. The decision is signed off at a regional level, not by the school. They use two criteria - 1. Has your child already attended a program similar to prep in another state or country. He used the uk as an example. He said if your child was from qld then this would obviously disqualify them?
I am wondering why about that last bit specifying QLD?

Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am wondering why about that last bit specifying QLD?
Just that to have already attended a prep system they would have had to have gone through a system where they started prep school younger. If bought up in qld this would be n/a. Just stating the obvious really so nothing really in it.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

I know this is a slightly old thread but you may know the answer. My son attends the school nursery here and should start school next september (2011) But he is a july 2nd birthday which means in Brisbane he wont start prep until January 2013..... as we are on a 457 he will probably do prep and then return to english year 2.... not good. So if I get evidence from his nursery on his development levels etc could I get him in early to kindergarten then prep- he only misses the cut off by 2 days....

I think he'd find the being at home again will dement him and on a 457 and no childcare costs we wont be able to afford to put him in childcare much

thanks for any advice
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by heldownunder
I know this is a slightly old thread but you may know the answer. My son attends the school nursery here and should start school next september (2011) But he is a july 2nd birthday which means in Brisbane he wont start prep until January 2013..... as we are on a 457 he will probably do prep and then return to english year 2.... not good. So if I get evidence from his nursery on his development levels etc could I get him in early to kindergarten then prep- he only misses the cut off by 2 days....

I think he'd find the being at home again will dement him and on a 457 and no childcare costs we wont be able to afford to put him in childcare much

thanks for any advice
From the criteria:

1. Has your child already attended a program similar to prep in another state or country. He used the uk as an example.

2. Is your child ready?

it sounds like you would have a very good chance. Good luck.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by heldownunder

thanks for any advice
If you explain all that to the school, they should make allowances. private schools are much more flexible though than State schools.

We had a 2 month gap, and managed to get in OK, in NSW, but ours was then the youngest in her class.

Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

thanks for advice.

one last question - do schools have kindy attached???

As soon as we find a rental and I enrol our eldest (year 1) in school, I shall have to ask but as you say he will be the youngest in class but in the uK on return he'll be one of the youngest too.