Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Medical Records

UK Medical Records

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default UK Medical Records

Does anyone know the answer to this please?

What happens to our Medical records when we move from UK to Aus?

I assume they would be useful for the Aus doctors IF we were ill!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Medical Records

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Does anyone know the answer to this please?

What happens to our Medical records when we move from UK to Aus?

I assume they would be useful for the Aus doctors IF we were ill!
Phone your GP reception and they'll print them out for you for a small fee, then bring them with.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't bring mine. I refused to pay for them.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:10 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I really didn't need to bother with medical records that documented a couple of visits to a GP for minor crap over the years. Unless you think it might actually be useful for an ongoing issue then the cost and hassle may not be worth it in my opinion.

Australian GP's, being that you pay them and not the state, I have always found to be far more thorough anyhow just a tangent.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Vast majority of Aussie GPs aren't interested in seeing your records anyway.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 2nd 2010 at 8:56 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:17 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Your Uk records go back to a central storage place, apparently.

Surgeries should print a record of your clinical summary which includes any drugs prescribed + reactions/ allergies, significant past medical history and immunisations. The cost seems to vary from surgery to surgery. Ours were free. The information can be useful for your new gp - lots of people will have forgotten when they've had jabs and for what and even if they've ever had an adverse reaction to something.
However, if you haven't had any real health problems and don't want to pay, it's unlikely to make any difference to any treatment in Australia.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Vast majority of Aussie GPs aren't interested in seeing your records anyway.
Very true.

I have hypothyroidism (it basically doesn't work ) and they didn't even want to know what medication I was on in the UK. I had a full blood test done and was prescribed totally different drugs - they work a lot better too
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

It was quite scary to read mine, I didn't know I was in such bad shape.

Brought mine for my blood pressure. Will see if they care about them or not.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It was quite scary to read mine, I didn't know I was in such bad shape.

Brought mine for my blood pressure. Will see if they care about them or not.
I did get mine though they have never surfaced for the file since I got here.

Bit concerning as they contain the results of some tests carried out on my Mum in the early 1980s (she said the doctor wondered why they never got the results ) and full details of a hospital stay to have tonsils removed, plus advice to stay off work as a result - as this was in 1971 and I still have my tonsils I had a closer look - they are the results of someone else's operation - the mother of one of my friends at the time

I also discovered that instead of just collapsing as a result of the whooping cough vaccine (as I'd always been told) I was actually rushed to hospital, stopped breathing and had to be resucitated
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

We paid for ours and bought them with is and what a waste of money and space that was.

unless you have a serious ongoing issue, or chronic disease wtih history, don't worry about it. They aren't interested out here. They will do a full medical the first time you 'join' a docs out here anyway.

I say join in quotes because you don't join or sign up as in the UK, but you do tend to have a regular that you visit.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I did get mine though they have never surfaced for the file since I got here.

Bit concerning as they contain the results of some tests carried out on my Mum in the early 1980s (she said the doctor wondered why they never got the results ) and full details of a hospital stay to have tonsils removed, plus advice to stay off work as a result - as this was in 1971 and I still have my tonsils I had a closer look - they are the results of someone else's operation - the mother of one of my friends at the time

I also discovered that instead of just collapsing as a result of the whooping cough vaccine (as I'd always been told) I was actually rushed to hospital, stopped breathing and had to be resucitated

Glad you recovered.

Maybe CVs (resumes) will go the same way.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by saxtonj
We paid for ours and bought them with is and what a waste of money and space that was.

unless you have a serious ongoing issue, or chronic disease wtih history, don't worry about it. They aren't interested out here. They will do a full medical the first time you 'join' a docs out here anyway.

I say join in quotes because you don't join or sign up as in the UK, but you do tend to have a regular that you visit.
So the first GP you visit will do the Full Monty on you?

I have high blood pressure, so do I need to present my UK GP letter stating what I take for it?

Last edited by Alfresco; Oct 3rd 2010 at 11:04 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

No

Take a copy of your presription or the packet or the labelled bottle or write out a list.

I have high blood pressure, so do I need to present my UK GP letter stating what I take for it?
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
No

Take a copy of your presription or the packet or the labelled bottle or write out a list.
Thanks. I have all of that.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:12 pm
Home and Happy

Not always. I've seen four different doctors in the time I've been here, they were all of the "whats wrong, have a prescription, lets get you out of here fast" brigade.
One was a little concerning as she kept referring to her English-Russian dictionary while talking to me (I'm not kidding either!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.